It's purely dependent on the features it offers, the price that it is offered at and the design of the actual TV itself. On a modern flat panel television, they have A LOT of competition that make top end luxury oriented sets, and the options that Apple could capitalize on and stand out with are very VERY limited.

That said, and after seeing this past CES, the "Electronic Window" seems like the coolest "newish" idea to come along when it comes to TV's. If they can some how implement the ease of use and stream lined UI into such a product, and make it obtainable (say, under $5,000), they may be able to capture a niche, and then make people feel they want it over a cheaper Samsung or whatever brand you want to choose.

I think Apple's biggest hurdle is going to be restraining themselves from making proprietary connections for the iTV (or whatever it will be called), and staying away from putting things that are still essentially in the test market stage (IE: Thunderbolt, as it stands right now). Outside of that, keeping the price relevant to people who would consider apple products is a biggie.
    02-03-2012 12:19 PM
    It's kind of fun to see what rumors or speculation was like before other apple products. Here's a thread speculating what the first iphone might be. More Apple Phone Rumors and Speculation - MacRumors Forums
    02-07-2012 10:22 AM
    I wouldn't buy one. I'm sasticfied with my current setup.
    02-07-2012 10:40 AM
    It really depends on the price point and features.

If it is basically an high quality LCD/Plasma/LED-LCD or something like that with an integrated AppleTV (or even Apple TV/iphone/Siri combo) than I probably will not.

If it is hugely more expensive than an equivalently sized TV from another manufacturer, than I probably will not.

If it offers something BEYOND the individual devices (and beyond simply integrating them into one unit) at a reasonable price point, then I might.

The problem is that a high end TV is more expensive than an iPad/iPhone/iPod purchase. It is on par with the upper end of their computer lines. So as Rene says, people aren't going to want to go out and buy a new one every year. Heck, people probably won't want to go out and buy a new one every two or three years.

Now, an Apple TV that also acted as a DVR, and streamed content via homesharing to all devices (even DVR content), could utilize apps with your iPhone or iPad as a controller, and had a few other features built in...that might be something worth looking into.

Chris
    02-07-2012 09:44 PM
    Haha...I know how I am. No matter what I say right now, if this think comes out and it's friggin awesome, then I will want one. Now, that doesn't mean I will get one, mostly because I just don't have the resources right now. But there are few high end gadgets out there that I don't covet. Before the iPad came out I didn't think I would want one....seemed so gimmicky, but I sure as hell want one now. People said the same thing about touch screen phones......"oh it's just a gimmick, totally not practical.", and we all saw where that went.....
    02-08-2012 09:38 AM
    I don't think I would buy one, but I could change my mind. Because the ATV2 is limited on features and partners, I'm expecting to see the same for an iTV. So for now, I think a Samsung Smart TV would be a way better choice.
    Last edited by CrzyP; 02-09-2012 at 01:50 PM.
    02-09-2012 12:09 PM
    I have no interest in a TV. Maybe years from now when my TV starts to go, I'll look at buying something a little fancier. In the end I don't want to interact with my TV, I want to watch it.
    02-09-2012 01:03 PM
    I don't think I would buy one, but I could change my mind. Because the ATV2 is limited on features and partners, I'm expecting to see the same for an iTV. So for now, I think a Samsung Smart TV would be a way better choice.
    I have an ATV2 and I also have a nice new Samsung SmartTV. Although the ATV2 is a little limited on features, it seriously outperforms my Sammsung. The computer part of that tv is slow and buggy as hell. The QWERTY remote that came with it is just about useless. There are a few thing it has over the ITV2, like Pandora.....and I like how it interacts with the Blue Ray player it came with....really neat feature. That said, Apple things just seem to work better. That continues to be the lesson I learn time and time again when I try new things. Well, if nothing else, my Samsung has on hell of a picture!!
    02-10-2012 09:49 AM
    TV user interfaces have not been updated in years! I would love to see how Apple would go about making TV menus intuitive and user-friendly.
    02-15-2012 12:25 PM
    I think it would be awesome when you are surfing the web or watching a movie or creating a document to use the tv screen for extra real estate. I actually think this will be a huge success for Apple and I can't wait!!!!!

02-16-2012 04:16 PM
    I shudder at the thought of lining up every year to buy a $5K Apple iTV television the way I currently buy iPhone and iPad devices.

I'm hoping Apple knows the cycle will have to be different, but I'm also a huge fan of their technology so the idea of getting a *better* television entices me...

What about you, would you buy one?
    I think I should buy at least one for me.!!!!
    02-21-2012 03:01 AM
    the way the apple brand endorses its products wee can find many likes for the thought!!!
    03-06-2012 10:13 AM
    i would buy everything what Apple made.
    03-07-2012 01:01 PM
    No way, tv buying is all about size and picture quality for a price. Smart tvs are useless, I prefer my Panasonic with simple input menu to interatct between the ps3 and cable box. A smart tv is useless when you have to buy a blu ray player/home theatre system that has the smart features.
    03-07-2012 08:46 PM
    I've got an PC running XBMC hooked up to my flatscreen. It does everything from airplay streaming to Battlefield 3 to online music to being an airvideo server that serves my movies to my iPhone anywhere I go. I doubt apple will be able to match that feature set. I hope they do, because it would be a pretty awesome tv. I just don't think it will happen anytime soon.
    03-07-2012 11:02 PM
    I stick with the Panasonic plasmas, but I'm sure Apple would make a nice tv.
    03-13-2012 11:59 AM
    My tv now is good. When it eventually dies I will have to decide if apple has a better product than some of the Samsung at the time since Samsung had impressed me after seeing my buddy's tv.
    03-13-2012 07:01 PM
    I would love to but, I don't think this is a good market for Apple.
    03-13-2012 09:00 PM
    No I'd rather just add the little black box.
    03-14-2012 12:52 AM
    It will depend on how good the quality is compared to what else will be out there, and what our needs will be at that time. Currently, we are pretty well set up with HDTV's.

Last edited by *END*; 03-24-2012 at 01:40 AM.
    03-21-2012 05:07 PM
    5K would price me out of the market. You can get "connected" TVs for much less, and that is the route I would go. Right now I have a Roku on my 42 inch, and seriously considered the AppleTV box also, BUT ultimately Roku had a better sale at the time.

I LOVE the concept of a connected TV, and it certainly makes sense for Apple to get in to it. BUT I can get a Samsung, or Sony for much less.
    03-23-2012 04:07 PM
    If I was in the market for a new tv, sure I'd consider it. Would I run out to buy a tv just because Apple made it, nope.
    03-23-2012 09:01 PM
    I reallyl like the Samsung and LG TV's I have right now. I don't know if I would buy a apple TV.
    03-23-2012 10:31 PM
    If Apple released a TV with a display higher than the 1080p standard, and allow for external devices to connect, I would definitely be interested. Not for $5K though.
    03-25-2012 02:09 PM
    Considering I got a Sony 46" LCD Bravia in the last 6 months, had Apple TV 2 and just upgraded to the Apple TV 3... Probably wouldn't get the first gen Apple iTV... Would wait for sure
    03-26-2012 08:04 PM
73 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD