I'm really on the fence about buying a used ATV2. Can someone convince me either way. I don't have a huge collection of videos on iTunes but am always renting from redbox at $1 a pop. So I'm thinking it might be smart to just buy Movies from iTunes and am able to have them forever.
    11-25-2011 02:40 PM
    Personally, I feel the same way. I do have Netflix and I use that a ton, but when it comes to T.V. shows I would much rather own them than rent so I buy them and then watch them on my Apple T.V.
    I think the ATV Is totally worth it, I like the ease of it and it's nice to have Netflix, Youtube, MLB station, and be able to display pictures and (as previously stated) watch TV shows I have purchased via iTunes.
    If you're on the fence about it I am sure you'll think of pros and cons. However, I feel that if you are going to start buying movies/TV shows from iTunes it would be a very wise purchase, and I mean it's only 99$ - which in my opinion is significantly lower than anything else Apple sells.
    12-01-2011 08:19 AM
    Keep in mind that if you have music stored in the cloud using iTunes match, you can now play that music on your Apple TV. I know you could do it before using home sharing, but now by using the cloud you don't need to have your computer turned on and iTunes running. Just my two cents (keep the change).
    12-01-2011 10:04 AM
    Keep in mind that if you have music stored in the cloud using iTunes match, you can now play that music on your Apple TV. I know you could do it before using home sharing, but now by using the cloud you don't need to have your computer turned on and iTunes running. Just my two cents (keep the change).
    Unless I am just mistaken or confused don't you have to be subscribed to iTunes Match for music though?
    12-01-2011 11:22 AM
    One more thought... not sure what your budget is... but the AppleTV 3 is rumored to be "coming soon", more than likely at the $99 price point, which is where the current AppleTV 2 is priced. A used one may save you a few bucks, but the AppleTV 3 is said to have the dual core A5 processor that cranks out 1080p video (vs single core A4 processor / 720p video for the current crop)... so waiting a month or two and dropping a full c-note will get you a much more robust version.

Then again, if you get a screaming deal on the AppleTV 2, go for it.
    Last edited by Fausty82; 03-03-2012 at 12:05 PM.
    Apple_Fangirl06 likes this.
    12-01-2011 11:39 AM
    Unless I am just mistaken or confused don't you have to be subscribed to iTunes Match for music though?
    Yes, which is why I said "if you have music stored in the cloud using iTunes match". I guess I should have said "if you subscribe to iTunes match".
    12-01-2011 03:33 PM
    I'm going to get one, too - either an ATV2 or ATV3 if the price is right. I'll wait until the new one comes out, though, since if the discount is good enough, I'd gladly go with the ATV 2. In addition to entertainment, I want to use it in my classroom to wirelessly project my iPad 2 during lessons.
    12-01-2011 05:19 PM
    Yes, which is why I said "if you have music stored in the cloud using iTunes match". I guess I should have said "if you subscribe to iTunes match".
    My fault, I just quickly read through it.
    I understand why Apple does it this way I just wish you didn't have to subscribe to iTunes Match to be able to play your music through the ATV.
    12-02-2011 02:43 PM
    I really enjoy mine and think is was will worth the $99. I will say, the original remote that came with it was horrible. I ended up losing it and getting another off ebay. The replacement was a little different in appearance, but had all the same buttons. The new remote works 1000x better. If you end up getting one and the remote sucks, find a replacement. It was very inexpensive.
    12-07-2011 09:44 AM
    I use my remote app!
    12-13-2011 11:49 AM
    Wow, I thought the remote was beautiful and tiny and minimalistic and perfect!
    12-13-2011 01:08 PM
    I ended up getting both the Apple TV and a Roku. Here's why:
    1) ATV2 doesn't have access to Amazon Prime, Roku does. I pay $80 a year, get 2 day shipping with Amazon for free, tons of free streaming movies and TV shows. Amazon has an immense collection.
    2) Roku is AWFUL when it comes to streaming from my iTunes to the box. I had to install Plex (which can be done without jailbreaking on the Roku), but it is constantly buffering. Awful. On the other hand, the streaming works amazing with the ATV2 and my Mac.
    3) I like the Airplay mirroring on the ATV2 with my iPhone. Awesome feature, and this alone is probably the best selling point of ATV2 in my opinion.

I only use the Roku for Amazon. I use ATV2 for all my other needs. I cancelled my movie channels I had through my cable provider. I still have cable though; neither box is sufficient in content to warrant me eliminating it altogether, unfortunately.
    01-30-2012 02:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD