Is Apple TV really worth buying?

jamesedward318

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I've read all the specs and what not and today I was in an Apple Store and was close to buying it. Should I drop a hundred bucks on it? Will I be disappointed?

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Netflix interface is not unique to ATV but it works great. The YouTube access works much better then the blue ray version so we actually use it. We use air play for iPhone and iPad and occasionally rent a movie from it. The home share is pretty neat and works easily enough that we actually use it. If 100 bucks isn't a big deal for you or if you can use 2 or 3 of the services then I say go for it. That said we could definitely get along just fine without it. If they made airplay even better or add apps then it would be a killer device. That's probably version 3 or 4. Cheers.

buggyman

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I think it is worth the $99. Like said could do without it but it is worth the money. Use it once in a while for Netflix and airplay with Iphone/ipod when working around house. I bought it to try knowing I could put on Ebay and sell used for $90. So it is worth the try. I like having it, but would like to see more from it.

StevenJ_AK

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
It's very worth it to me. The reason is to me is in my family we have two MacBook pro's, two iPads, two iphone 4's, and an iPhone 3GS. A mini display to hdmi adapter is about 29 bucks, an iPad to component is 30 also ( now the have the new one though) and then an iPhone one is also roughly 30 bucks. We buy a lot of tv season and other junk from iTunes and to have a cable to hook certain devices up is almost impractical. Not to mention the battery drain so you have to plug it in also.

With apple tv it was AirPlay that sold me more than anything. Super easy for whoever in the house wants to watch something they can. Also the hd movie rentals are nice I think, the price is good, the quality is great. I love not having to hook up my computer to my tv anymore to watch a family movie.

I bought mine for 80 bucks at best buy open box. I eye balled one for a while to but very glad I purchased it. Hope this helps

andrewsmith

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
It's only $100. Ask for it as a gift or something. Airplay comes in handy if you're trying to show your buddies something on your phone, instead of having everyone crowding you you can shoot it up to the big screen. Also, if you're having a party and you don't want you MBP in the party room you can control your music straight from your iPhone, iPad, etc.

Netflix is a plus...I like the interface much better on ATV than on my PS3 or 360.

Also, there is an app you can download called "AirVideo" it's $3 or it has a free version that you can stream your .mkv's, .avi's, etc from your Mac to your iOS device and then use airplay to put them on the big tv....sounds complicated but the process takes about 20 seconds and it's streaming.

Last edited:

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
It still lacks a lot of what others are doing. I think it could really take off once they allow apps and internet content on the device. Thats what everyone else is doing and its working. You shouldnt be forced to just use the internet on your tiny 3.5" screens.

andrewsmith

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, $100 isn't bad for the features. However when ATV3 comes out (and if it has 1080p) I'll end up selling my ATV2 to get the ATV3.

But for the $100 price tag it's 100% worth it. You can always jailbreak it and stream whatever you want to it. (BTW the jailbreak is really easy...anyone can do it)

congo597

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
no

I've read all the specs and what not and today I was in an Apple Store and was close to buying it. Should I drop a hundred bucks on it? Will I be disappointed?

I don't think you will be disappointed considering the price point of only $99. They are adding additional features as time goes on. It is like the iPhone/iPad, they make them better with software. Just today, the ability to watch NBA League Pass or MLB Extra Innings! That is on top of Netflix, YouTube, iTunes, and whatever you want to stream from any Apple device.

ardoreal

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
I've been wondering this too. Reading this thread has me re-thinking that as well. The last AppleTV was a definite no, but with the airplay features it sure looks more interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bibeaud

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
Refurb Apple TV 2 for $85

I just received a refurb Apple TV 2 from Apple for $85 plus tax. It looks brand new. Easily updated to 4.2 (2600) and plays MLB.
Refurb is the way to go since this has been out for a half year already.

jml_apps

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Don't hesitate, buy it! Apple has built a fantastic integrated system between a Mac (or a PC by the way), Apple TV, an iPad, an iPhone. Your music stored on the Mac, listened on your Hifi receiver (with output from Apple TV), the whole controlled from the "Remote" app on your iPhone or even better on your iPad. And now with Airplay, display on your TV all your iPhone/iPad content (picture, video, ...). Just my favorite use of it. Many other functions available.

E Pow

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
For $99 it?s worth it. My wife and kids are huge movie watchers. Instead of buying a bunch of DVDS for the kids we just let them pick the cartoon movies they want to see on Netflix. Plus I buy iTunes movies so it?s worth it for that. Now that airplay is added makes it even better. I have smaller children and I?m always recording their sports activities so when the grandparents come over I just play their baseball, basketball, and football games right on Apple TV. That way we aren?t crowded around my computer or video camera or phone to watch the video. It probably wouldn?t be worth it if the device was a couple hundred but for $99 it?s WELL worth the money.

wcarlson40#IM

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
I already have Tivo, which can stream netflix and youtube, as well as media from a computer within my network. Yet my friends keep telling me to buy Apple TV because it's "great". Am I missing something?

fakhra

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Not really, Macs are sleek, quasi-futuristic machines on the outside, but don't really show up on the inside. For their cost, they have insufficient hard drive space, memory, and processor speed. Look at the Satellite line of laptops, or the higher-end Dells. If price is not a factor, check out the Alienware laptops. They are the ultimate gaming machines.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I just received a refurb Apple TV 2 from Apple for $85 plus tax. It looks brand new. Easily updated to 4.2 (2600) and plays MLB.
Refurb is the way to go since this has been out for a half year already.

Just went this route for another one for the big screen & sound system. Basically for airplay.

jponte55

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
Not really, Macs are sleek, quasi-futuristic machines on the outside, but don't really show up on the inside. For their cost, they have insufficient hard drive space, memory, and processor speed. Look at the Satellite line of laptops, or the higher-end Dells. If price is not a factor, check out the Alienware laptops. They are the ultimate gaming machines.

You signed up to post that? Apple TV is not a computer, its a set-top box. The premium on Apple computers is such a tired discussion, isn't it? And I'm a PC guy. Cheers.

Jonezed7

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
I'm still a little confused. What are the features involved with airplay via iPhone 4 and Apple TV 2? My iphone is jailbroken if that adds anything else and I intend to pick up an apple TV for myself.

I bought my mom for christmas and she loves it for watching Netflix. I already have an Xbox 360 so I'm still a bit on the fence.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods