Hi there, I made this quick guide with the intention of helping people like myself that had to try many methods before finding one that actually works. Most of these guides are meant for Mac users. Well I don't have one and don't know many people that do. If you tried handbrake, and such but still are not happy with the results then try my method. With this method it will take around 4 hours to convert a normal sized mkv movie. A bit faster than alot of methods. I also had alot of problems with the movies being jittery with the other guides. With my method, you will loose very little, if any, quality, and end up with a nice mp4 file that plays nice with ATV. This is what works for me. Okay here we go,

Step 1: download iPodME (FREEWARE) from iPodME Nodas Dev Blog
    Step 2: Run it and click add file. Click on your mkv movie.
    Step 3: Click on "more options" and make sure "strech video to fit size" is checked, and that "fix aspect ratio" is unchecked.
    Step 3: Set "max size" to 1280x720
    Step 4: Set "profile" to fast,quality
    Step 5: Click on convert and you are all done.

You can change the profile to whatever you like but after some test's I found that fast,quality seems to be the best way to go. Slow,quality may be a little better but it will take forever to convert.
    Last edited by TestNtune; 02-24-2011 at 11:33 AM. Reason: added stuff
    02-23-2011 09:53 PM
    Forgot to leave out the fact that it takes hours to convert.
    05-26-2011 04:50 PM
    Handbrake is much better.
    06-11-2011 12:01 PM
    Handbrake is much better.
    Yes sir, it is.

+1.
    06-11-2011 12:02 PM
    Yeah, Handbrake goes to the list of top! now my Apple tv has been my home media centre with the help of handbrake and iFunia.
    06-13-2011 06:11 AM
    what settings do you use in handbrake to convert .avi to .mp4 720p?
    06-14-2011 11:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD