Apple TV is addictive!

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
We had one in the living room. Just bought another for the bedroom!

Now I just have to put all my movies on my wife's iMac.

Chris

andrewsmith

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Amen to that, just got my second one today. Living room and bedroom. Think I'm going to buy a cheap macmini or something use as a server instead of keeping my MBP open every time I want to do something other than watch Netflix.

morgantm89

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
I'm kinda in the same boat. I'm streaming Netflix over my XBOX360 and was wondering if it would be worth it to get ATV. Any thoughts?

Do you have any movies on your computer that you wish you could watch on your TV? Ever wish you could watch youtube on your TV?

Those are the main things I use my aTV for, I have a 360 as well.

MAGNUS

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site
I have netflix on every possible device you can think of (ps3, xbox, wii, samsung tv w/netflix app, bluray player with app) but I must say I enjoy the atv's gui over all of them. The fact that I can use my phone as a controller makes it even better. It's a nice small sleek device to have. Not a must have, but definitely a "nice to have". lol

Considering picking up a second for the livingroom.

riteshp83

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
Before the Apple tv 2, i never really saw the point in renting movies online. Now that I have it i am addicted to renting/buying all my shows and movies thru itunes rather than buying DVD's and Blu-Rays. Not to mention being able to stream pandora is awesome

Nanci

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
I got an AT&T Microcell a couple weeks ago. The same day, I had to start rebooting my wifi before I could get Netflix via Sony Bravo TV to work. And I mean a complete reboot- shutting down all wifi-using items in the house, modem, router, and starting over, with the TV first. Since it was my first experience with Netflix, I thought it was "normal" to have to refresh Internet content virtually daily. So I eventually unplugged the Microcell, but continued to have Netflix/Sony Bravia issues. Thursday the Sony server wasn't available! That was it. I'd seen an Apple TV at a friend's, and knew it streamed Netflix, and read here that it worked quite well, so Friday on my way home I bought one. (I love cool gagety things anyway, so it was really just confirmation that yes, I truly needed an ATV)! That's all I cared about- getting my Netflix.

Well, I didn't have time to go to Monoprice for an HDMI cable, so I got the "cheap" $24 cable at BB. Got home, followed the set-up- nothing. Disconnected my BD HDMI and connected the ATV through that. Finally I got the screensaver. But I was still having problems. It wouldn't stay on, it was often unresponsive. I was so mad I was ready to return the whole thing Saturday.

Saturday I decided to make it work. I connected the BD with the "cheap" BB HDMI (works fine...) and moved the old HDMI to the ATV and TV. It graced me with a start up. I finally RTFM and learned what the blinking lights meant. I did a reset of the device. I _finally_ figured out that the ATV must be turned on to work- it isn't just on when it is plugged in! I know, good thing I'm not a rocket scientist...

But after I did the reset and figured out how to actually turn it on, it has worked absolutely flawlessly. I go to Netflix in the menu and there is my Netflix, with a beautiful interface, which I scroll through with the gem-like little ATV remote. There is no need to "refresh" or any other BS. It just _works!!!_

So I got brave and turned the Microcell back on. It still just worked. The next day, it still just worked. I am so happy.

bschroed37

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
If you jailbreak your ATV2 and install XBMC with the IceFilms addon you'll never go back to regular TV (except maybe for live sports) ever again. Its basically every Tv show or movies you would ever want to watch...streaming on demand...for free!

Its been a life-changer for me!

xbmc.org

riley9dy

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
Ok don't get me wrong here I like the apple tv but not nearly enough to get more than one for different rooms, especially when I can just leave an hdmi cable plugged into my tv and then just plug my macbook into it and stream movies from there and not to mention any source on the web. If I were you guys I would I wouldn't pay an extra $100 for an apple tv for every room..

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I am thinking about picking up a Mac Mini just to serve media to my Apple TV .. I have a 1st Gen and a 2nd Gen. Looking to get another couple for those, I love them!

Hot94Z28

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I don't know what I would use it for since I use netflix on my PS3, Xbox,wii, and just hooked up a samsung blue ray player in my living room that came with my TV I have in the bed room since that is where all my gaming systems are at. Unless I am missing something?

---
- Sent from my iPhone using TapaMFtalk

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I am thinking about picking up a Mac Mini just to serve media to my Apple TV .. I have a 1st Gen and a 2nd Gen. Looking to get another couple for those, I love them!

You know about my setup... and for me, it's perfect. It doesn't matter that others don't see the value for me and my family...

I have 3 AppleTVs and a Mac Mini serving all of my ripped DVDs to the house... it takes about 20-30 minutes to rip a DVD and then I put the disc away and don't have to touch it - no worries of it being lost or scratched or broken. With grandkids, you can't overstate the simplicity of the setup.

The addition of streaming video from Apple, Netflix, Youtube, Vimeo, MLB.TV and NBA plus podcasts, streamed home videos from my Mac Mini or my MacBook Pro and streaming radio makes it pretty inclusive and a great system, FOR ME. Your mileage may vary.

Last edited: