HDMI to Component?

andrewsmith

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I have an ATV2 and a nice LCD that I use it on in the bedroom. But sometimes I want to watch it on my old 55" inch Toshiba in the living room that doesn't have HDMI. I know I've seen HDMI to Component cables online...but I'm not sure how good they are or if they even work? Does anyone have any experience with this or does anyone have an idea of how I could hook it up?

Thanks

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
You need converter because it's going from digital to analog signal. Converters run ~$150-200, Google it. Although I don't know how the quality will be switching like that. The cheaper you go the worse the quality probably gets.

andrewsmith

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Touche' didn't think about analog to digital well that sucks. You're right I really doubt the quality would be that great. Might as well buy an old big screen TV with HDMI off craigslist haha.

kingweb

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Well, I just tested this myself today, and it doesnt work at all. I bought a $50 converter from ebay. The converter works, on NON-Apple devices. But with the Apple TV, nothing at all. You don't even get the main menu or anything.
Now I am starting to look for some HDCP jailbreak type device so that I can get the damn thing working with component.

andrewsmith

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I appreciate the input instead of spending the 50~100 on the converter I went on craigslist sold my 55" projection tv for $125 then just went out and got a 42" plasma. Problem solved...think I might have to buy another Apple TV 2 cuz it sucks taking it back and fourth from the bedroom to the living room.