Just wanted to say Hey, been reading in this section since I planned to get one since they first came out. Well I finally got one on Monday and I'm dying to get it connected. I haven't connected it yet because I don't have the HDMI cable. I wanted to get one since the first generation but was always a lottle stand offish on that one. I have Top Gear episodes both the UK version and recently the US version. I watch them on my iPad but I always want to burn them to DVD to watch on my home stereo system. Then where I work we setup a multimedia server before christmas and we tested it by watching an episode on the 55" LED TV. I was amazed at how good it looked full screen with the video being 720p. After that I couldn't wait to get the Apple TV so I could watch them at home the same way. I am definately looking forward to this weekend.
    01-07-2011 12:12 AM
    I've had the original Apple TV for a while....can't wait to get the new one! I'm waiting for a bit more content though....
    01-07-2011 06:39 AM
    I think for the price I like the current capabilities so it can only get better. I like the idea of showing my vacation pictures on the TV than on the MBP screen like I usually do.
    01-07-2011 06:08 PM
    I've had the original Apple TV for a while
    Well, now the 1st gen AppleTV is now able to act as an AirPlay compatible device! With Remote HD installed all the amazing features of AirPlay for the new black AppleTV are now available on the original silver models.
    There are many news read that, I suppose you'll excited with the Remote HD: AirPlay Comes to the Original AppleTV | FireCore
    01-07-2011 10:11 PM
    I might pick one of the originals up since the price used must have fallen with the new model out.
    01-08-2011 01:19 AM
    So after finally hooking up my AppleTV I connected to it from my iPad via the Remote app. Then when I thought it was so cool I started to play video on the iPad wanting to send it to the ATV Nada, I tried youtube, photos, safari nothing works. I grabbed my phone and the same thing no option anywhere I guess I have to wait until tomorrow when I bring my MBP home to see what I can do grrrr.
    01-11-2011 12:42 AM
    OK so I got it working  I turned off my phone and rebooted the ATV. Then when I turned the phone on boom I could connect to the ATV from my MBP, iPhone and iPad. It was sweet to watch Top Gear on the big screen. I just have one question how do I view pictures on my laptop on the ATV???? I really hope it's not only the iDevices that can show images.
    01-11-2011 11:39 PM
    Once your mbp is connected to the same wifi network as the ATV; all you should have to do is open iTunes on your MBP, then on the ATV go to "computers" all of your music, movies, and pictures in your iTunes library should show up.
    Ipheuria likes this.
    01-13-2011 12:24 PM
    OK I gotta give that a try tonight Does anyone else have custom names for their ATV? every time I change mine I can't connect to it via AirPlay anymore.
    01-13-2011 04:31 PM
    Just wanted to say Hey, been reading in this section since I planned to get one since they first came out. Well I finally got one on Monday and I'm dying to get it connected. I haven't connected it yet because I don't have the HDMI cable. I wanted to get one since the first generation but was always a lottle stand offish on that one. I have Top Gear episodes both the UK version and recently the US version. I watch them on my iPad but I always want to burn them to DVD to watch on my home stereo system. Then where I work we setup a multimedia server before christmas and we tested it by watching an episode on the 55" LED TV. I was amazed at how good it looked full screen with the video being 720p. After that I couldn't wait to get the Apple TV so I could watch them at home the same way. I am definately looking forward to this weekend.
    I am envious of you. I want apple tv!
    01-13-2011 06:40 PM
    LOL thanks I think

So last night I got everything setup and setup the photo sharing through iTunes. The only problem was that I had over 8,000 pictures so I was waiting for 15 minutes while it was loading and I finally decided to exit that and go back to the other stuff. It is cool listening to my podcasts on the ATV though, when they allow you to stream from your browser that is going to be HUGE. So for instance if you were at the TiPb live show you could play it on your TV instead of turning the volume up on your laptop.
    01-14-2011 08:23 AM
    I'm planning on getting an Apple TV soon.

Question: Is it better (faster streaming etc...) to connect it with an ethernet cable vs using it over wifi? I have an option to do either and was wondering which is a better option.

Thanks
    01-15-2011 05:03 PM
    The ethernet is going to be way faster than going through Wifi.
    01-16-2011 02:19 AM
    Do you have yours set up wifi or ethernet connected? If wifi connected - do you see any advantages to a "wired ethernet connection"? If there really isn't a noticeable difference, I'm thinking of setting up wifi.

thanks
    01-16-2011 11:29 AM
    Actually, if you have a high quality N network, it can be faster using WiFi since ATV doesn't have gig ethernet. N can have a faster throughput than the 100mb ethernet port that ATV has. I did say "can have", it will depend on your network. My internal streaming is faster through my N network than my wired network. Not drastically, but there is a difference.
    shinbone likes this.
    01-16-2011 04:24 PM
    Actually, if you have a high quality N network, it can be faster using WiFi since ATV doesn't have gig ethernet. N can have a faster throughput than the 100mb ethernet port that ATV has. I did say "can have", it will depend on your network. My internal streaming is faster through my N network than my wired network. Not drastically, but there is a difference.
    I just brought home my ATV and set it up using wifi / N Network and its PLENTY Fast !! Streams itunes instantly and netflix/youtube etc... works very well. Cant wait to get my Verizon iPhone in a few weeks! "Remote" will be one of my first app downloads.
    01-16-2011 05:31 PM
    I have mine setup through Wifi cause it's just so much easier in my place. Although I might try it through ethernet to see if it streams faster.
    01-16-2011 07:14 PM
    I like to leave my stuff as vanilla and as default as possible. i like the stuff to work as easily as possible without introducing extra complexities.
    01-19-2011 03:49 PM
    LOL I like to customize every setting to suit my needs. The way I see it is they put the feature there for us to use and that is what we pay for so might as well get it working the best way you want it.
    01-19-2011 04:22 PM
    But I'm lazy too =)
    01-19-2011 04:25 PM
    Just got a apple tv, do love it. I am connection on wifi too. Cant really tell the different between wifi and ethernet.
    01-21-2011 11:47 AM
    just read the xbmc can be put on the appletv 2nd generation. This is great news.
    01-21-2011 11:56 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD