• Other

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • I have both...

Votes: 6 15.0%

• Total voters

futurecode

Dec 12, 2008
Visit site
PS3 Lacks Windows Media Center, which allows you to stream from a PC. Which you're not REQUIRED to pay a monthly fee to do, since it's just happens over your home network.

Wrong. You can use WMC to stream to your PS3 ..... or tversity, or play on, or PS3 media server, really, a ton of options when it comes to streaming. Just pick one and go with it. The " required monthly fee" was directed to Netflix, ESPN3, really almost all of Xbox "connect/stream from the internet" "apps" require this to function.

Last edited:

uhanrodric

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Netflix doesn't require a disc(anymore) Streaming content is just as good as 360 (I have both). PS3s dont break nearly as often as 360s. I am on my 3rd Xbox, I have a friend on his fifth or so. They always need to be sent in for repair but Microsoft does a decent job with that. Players not having mics can be seen as as major plus because a majority of online players are annoying when on Mics. Never had a problem with the online on PS3, just as good as XBox live. The drone of the XBox's (they sound like they are about to take off) is a constant annoyance.

What in Jebus's name are you two doing that you needed that many Xbox's??!?! I'm still rockin' my original 20GB model from way back when....

jayman16

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I'm not here to get in a pissing match. I bought a 360 (20GB) and PS3 (20GB) both the days they launched. And other than a few PS3 only games (MGS4, Uncharted, LBP) I never used and sold it. The system updates on the PS3 took no less than 30 minutes up to a hour over my 12Mbps connection to download and install, compared to my 360 with takes maybe 3 minutes to download, install, and reboot. Trying to get media to stream to the PS3 was like pulling teeth from a Mac or PC. It was easier to install Linux that stream media to the damn thing. Once I finally the did, it was choppy and the controls were awful.

Great no disc anymore for Netflix? Welcome to Xbox 2 years ago. Yes Xboxes used to have a high fail rate, but not anymore ever since the 'Jasper' MoBo's no more RRoD.

I'm not saying some people might not like the PS3, but if you're looking for ease-of-use I don't know how anyone could recommend the PS3 over the 360. To me: the Xbox 360 is equal to the iPhone. Yeah it's more of a closed off system but **** just works better and easier (streaming, online play). And the PS3 is more like an Android device. Built for the "tinkerer" and modder, someone whom likes to get their hands dirty.

Tobias Funke_mndd_2

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
What in Jebus's name are you two doing that you needed that many Xbox's??!?! I'm still rockin' my original 20GB model from way back when....

They never lasted for more than a year/18 months, most of the time still under warranty, sent it in, Microsoft sent me a New/Refurbished Xbox.

@Jayman

You're joking right? 360s are cheaply made pieces of crap. If the motherboard doesn't go out on you, the cheapo CD tray will. Xbox has Halo and Left 4 Dead, that is about it.

Last edited:

futurecode

Dec 12, 2008
Visit site
I'm not here to get in a pissing match. I bought a 360 (20GB) and PS3 (20GB) both the days they launched. And other than a few PS3 only games (MGS4, Uncharted, LBP) I never used and sold it. The system updates on the PS3 took no less than 30 minutes up to a hour over my 12Mbps connection to download and install, compared to my 360 with takes maybe 3 minutes to download, install, and reboot. Trying to get media to stream to the PS3 was like pulling teeth from a Mac or PC. It was easier to install Linux that stream media to the damn thing. Once I finally the did, it was choppy and the controls were awful.

Great no disc anymore for Netflix? Welcome to Xbox 2 years ago. Yes Xboxes used to have a high fail rate, but not anymore ever since the 'Jasper' MoBo's no more RRoD.

I'm not saying some people might not like the PS3, but if you're looking for ease-of-use I don't know how anyone could recommend the PS3 over the 360. To me: the Xbox 360 is equal to the iPhone. Yeah it's more of a closed off system but **** just works better and easier (streaming, online play). And the PS3 is more like an Android device. Built for the "tinkerer" and modder, someone whom likes to get their hands dirty.

Just because you personally, through use and familiarity, find the 360 "easier" does not, in the end, make the PS3 "difficult". Just because the an F1 driver can't ride a bicycle does not make riding a bicycle "more difficult" than formula 1 racing. The PS3 and 360 are made to be used by the lowest common denominator (aka: the general public) so by no mean are either system difficult to use. The facts are that either system is just as easy to stream to given the appropriate (similar to both systems) knowledge. It comes down to which system offers more and maybe if one system has a monthly fee or not, plain and simple. Don't get upset if other people do not favor the system you favor, you will live a very stressful life.

P.S. This is just my personal take on your diatribe and nothing to do with this topic (I guess?), but nice try trying to say a Microsoft product is like an Apple product, high comedy my friend!

P.S.S. OP, maybe you should just go with an apple TV just to avoid any of these type conversations! HA!

Last edited:

futurecode

Dec 12, 2008
Visit site
You like the PS3, I like 360. We're not changing each others minds.

I do love my Apple TV though.

There ya go guy, that's what I like to see. Facts. I totally agree with that statement. You like what you like and i like what I like, not me saying "I like this thing for these helpful opinions and facts" and you saying, "your thing sucks balls!!!! FTW!!!!!". Just wanted to get a "bash free, fact or helpful opinion, fayboy free" post post out of you was all. Gheeesh, was that so hard!

Last edited:

9thWonder

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
i think you need to know what you want to stream as well. do you want to stream your own content of just netflix? is it drm'd itunes content or tons of ripped video? Do you have tons of formats or already device compatible, are you willing to reencode what you have or does what you buy have to play everything without any hassle? Do you need 1080 hd? Is the addition of a gaming machine a decent value add?

if you have a hard drive full of files like i do, all three (xbox, ps3, and appletv) have limitations. For example i have a 360 but it won't play any mp4s over one gigabytes. That's a pain cause to get 1080p video it's gotta be closer to 10 gigs per file. It won't read .mkv files of any size either. Which mean if you download mkvs you'll have to convert them to mp4. the 360 will only play aac in a certain format. this is NOT to bash the 360. i only use 360 as an example cause i know the requirements and limitations best. ALL and I mean ALL of the options have file format limitations on streaming. And i took my entire collection and ripped it to mp4. I have hd movies ripped as hd quality and they are over 4 gigs. That is why earlier i said i prefer the western digital wdtv. it doesn't have those limitations. there are issues with subtitles, internal subtitles

if you adore all things apple, dont' care about streaming your own content and never will, apple is fine of if you don't mind reencoding everything you have to one formats appletv can stream appletv may be the right choice. if you have tons of drm'd itunes content you may want apple tv cause it won't play on the other choices. I also think apple tv is limited to 720p but i'm not positive so if you don't care about HD then the apple tv is fine. Oh as a side note networking all of these can be a pain in the ass cause for some reason they are fickle. But once it works it seems fine.

But as to streamers you have more options then just xbox and ps3 and apple tv. Like popcorn hour, wdtv, and i know there are others.

haven't read these but someone at least made a token attempt at comparison
Apple TV vs. the competition -- how does it stack up? -- Engadget
New Apple TV vs. Roku vs. Xbox 360 and Others

Last edited:

iKroko

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I used to own both. I sold my xbox a few months back because my PS3 satisfied all my gaming needs. I got the apple tv on the first occasion and for me, it was the right device. All I was truly looking for was a way to unleash my iTunes library onto my HD tv and therefore, for anyone that already has a PS3, I would say go for the cheap and efficient Apple TV instead of the xbox!

iquinn

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
I'm really not even sure that it is a fair comparison between the Apple TV and a 360 or PS3. For one thing, both the 360 and PS3 output in true full HD. I know that many people don't really see this as a big deal but I for one think it is. The other thing is that a game console can deliver many different types of entertainment as opposed to the Apple TV which really is only good for iTunes and Netflix content.

dorthensensens

May 11, 2009
Visit site
I have both the Appletv and the xbox360. I like the appletv. i use it for my netflix streaming and airplay of pictures. But I have to say I much prefer my xbox360. It acts as my mediacenter extender and as such, I can play my MKV and avi files without conversions and gives me access to 3 tuner cards i have attached to my HTPC so i can watch television. To boot it too has netflix but I'm too cheap to pay for gold membership.

Zac

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Apple TV!! first got a iPhone then change my laptop to Mac and now apple tv. I would say when you have a few Apple device already, get Apple TV!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73