Netflix sound dropping out?

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
Not often, but once and a while I'll be watching Netflix on the Apple TV and the sound will just disappear. To fix it I have to back out of the show and Netflix to the top level Apple TV UI, then go back in.

Hasn't happened yet with iTunes rentals or streaming from iTunes desktop, only Netflix.

Anyone else experience that?

Mrkovach

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
Yes Rene, I have had this happen twice so far. The audio cut out for approximate 1-2 minutes. It then restored on it's own. I also had a sync problem, where the sound went out of sync with picture. These could be encoding problems and not actually ATV problems. I have seen strange problems like this happen with Handbreak in the past. Difficult to say what the cause would be...
Mike

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I agree with Mrkovach... as a Netflix user for several years, I can tell you there are a lot of badly encoded movies in their library. If you can get the issue to act up on demand, report it to Netflix and they'll look into it. They do re-encode movies when they get complaints.

I wouldn't be so quick to blame the AppleTV...

macharborguy

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
This was happening this past weekend with Netflix on my iPad when I brought it to my girlfriends house. We were going to watch Gamer, but the audio kept cutting out within the first minute of the show. Then I tried Ninja Scroll, same thing, 1 minute in and audio cut out.

It couldn't have been her internet connection, as she has the same provider as I do and has an 8MBit connection, plenty for Netflix.

jrpierce

May 29, 2009
Visit site
Yes. I watch a lot of different TV shows on Netflix and it has done it since I've had the Apple TV. The sound just seems to cut out for around 10 seconds, but there's never been any issue for me with the audio not syncing.

Bleedyoudry213

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I have been having this same problem since the first day the Netflix app came out, but on my iPhone. I have never had this happen once on any computer or device not made by Apple. I cannot watch even 1 minute of ANY show or movie without the sound cutting out. Most of the time, turning the volume down 1 notch and back up will take care of this, but not every time. If they would fix this problem, I would never ask anything of them again. It drives me INSANE, as it happens at least twice a minute in everything I watch, most of the time more like 7 or 8 times a minute. Whoever is at fault, they need to get around to fixing this. It makes watching Netflix on i-devices quite frustrating.