Are you happy with your Apple TV?

• Not happy

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I'm actually pretty happy with picking up a Apple TV simply for Netflix and the ability to stream video and audio direct from my Mac. How about you? Happy? Not happy?

Torqued#IM

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
Maybe once they put apps on it.

I got an Xbox 360 shortly after getting the AppleTV. Personally, I find the Netflix functionality of the Xbox to be superior to the AppleTV. And when the new Kinect module starts shipping, not having to pick up a remote to interact with the Xbox looks pretty interesting/promising. I was surprised at how the AppleTV user interface seems to be unfinished and/or lacking in several places. I have never purchased any TV, movie, music from iTunes, so I don't really have a huge library to stream via AppleTV. With the Xbox having or getting soon Netflix, ESPN3, and Hulu Plus, unless Apple really steps up to fix the user interface issues and get more content available on AppleTV, I'll probably be selling my AppleTV unit.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I stuck the AppleTV in the grandkids play room... I had ripped my movies to .m4v format and stored them on my hard disk using Handbrake... so now it's a simple matter of streaming the movies to the play room - no more missing, scratched, broken or peanut-butter coated DVDs to mess with... life is good... if I could just find that Apple remote again... * sigh *

kittykatta

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I'm $99 Happy.

Happy
- Netflix. Not only the ability, but the interface is wonderful
- Screen Saver. It's just nice.

Not Happy
- Rental Prices. NBC is nuts if they think $.99 is "too cheap" to rent TV shows that I can easily acquire for free at multiple sources. And $4.99 movies are a tough sell to me because I use RedBox for $.99 movies
- Media Formats. I'm entrenched in iTnes but sometimes you have a stray non-mp4 file that you want to play and simply cant (yet) on the aTV
- Hulu Plus. I know it's not App Season for AppleTV yet, but with Hulu stretching out to other devices like Tivo, Roku and PS3 then Apple will fall behind if they don't get Hulu on here quick.

Overall I love my AppleTV but its not worth more than $100 to me.

shwa311

May 19, 2009
Visit site
I agree with Urkel! Well put... Netflix, photos & screen saver, $.99/$4.99 vs redbox,

One of the biggest reasons I wanted an iPad was to stream photos for my family. Now I may not need one.

I won't use the music feature much as I have my very large library already setup with wireless to my home theater but who knows the Internet radio section looks like a good start.

As far as the remote goes... We don't need it as the remote app for iPhone works nice. A bit sensitive with the swipe feature but useable. My remote is always in my pocket.

Dryland

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
Got mines yesterday and I'm extremely happy. Netflix, MobileMe, YouTube, Internet Radio, Streaming from my Macbook Pro, and once I can stream from my iPhone I'll be one of the happiest persons on the planet.

However, one thing I would like to see implemented is streaming audio to Airport Express when watching movies via Netflix or streaming from my Macbook Pro. This would make ATV the cheapest entertainment system available. But IMO, it already is. Now bring on the apps!

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Don't need one for the big screen that has a PC and PS3 hooked up to it and sound system.

But I got an apple tv for the living room and 46" tv in there. Wife and kid love it and its easy to use. I think that's the key. I don't think either of them are ready for google tv and a thousand buttons. It looks a mess.

Move itunes library to its own 2tb harddrive in PC and streaming away.

I liked Urkel's reply. It's 99.00 good with some potential down the road through upgrades/jb to be even better.

Last edited:

Taka13

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
Apps

I know that a lot of people are waiting for apps for the Apple TV but would it really be that revolutionary? What are some app ideas you guys are hoping for and how would they be executed?

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I don't really see the value. I have my MacBook hooked up via a mini DVI to HDMI adaptor with the audio out to RCA jacks and a Logitech wireless Bluetooth kybd with trackpad. I stream Hulu, Netflix, Amazon on demand the only thing is it's not so user friendly for my wife & kids.

It's not really meant for you or me really since i do about the same.

This is what you buy someone that wants something easy to use. And that's really the only problem i have with Apple is that philosophy sometimes leaves advanced users wanting. That ease of use and "just works" comes with a lot of Apple controlling the user experience unless you jailbreak or find ways to make it work for you.

But in Apple's defense, if they want Joe Blow down the street to buy this, then that's what they have to do.

xxjokerxx

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
I just got mine yesterday. Very easy setup and easy to use. So far I am loving it! No problems whatsoever. I was surprised at how small the device was and the size of the box it came in. Now I gotta work on ripping all of my blurays to my pc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
It's fantastic... I have 2 of them... one in the family room, one in the grandkids' play room. I have all of my movies ripped (thanks, Handbrake) and stored on an old machine running iTunes... running Home Sharing and streaming kids movies to both rooms on demand. No more broken disks or peanut-butter encrusted disks...

Last edited:

Entertainment72

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
I'm debating on the Apple TV, I already have a PS3 for Netflix (which I love) but am very interested in streaming audio from my iTunes library of which the PS3 sucks at. If the Apple TV were "App Compatible" per say, I'd buy one today.

Idelgado782

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
I just bought mines a few hours ago. Radioshack actually sells it now, and I had some stuff to exchange so I used the credit for the apple tv. I like the fact that I can stream my iphotos wirelessly via iphoto/itunes and listen to my music on the home theater system and be anywhere around the house to control it. I definitely love to be able to browse the web with it. I have the REMOTE app for my iphone and it works well, but other than that it's still too early for me to gauge how much I'm going to use it and how much I'll "love" it. I guess time will tell. I will say that I love the new airplay feature and I've that you can use airplay to send music and movies from your iphone or ipad to your apple tv via airplay. I have an airport express and LOVE that feature, but the airport express is connect to a desktop speaker that i have in my office, so I've been able to take advantage of my home theater set up. I am hoping that Apple TV is going to change all of that.

xxjokerxx

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
I've had my apple tv for just over a month and I use it everyday. Not only for movies and tv shows but for streaming music over my receiver through the optical cable. The post above me, what do you mean by browse the web?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Idelgado782

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
Xxjoker, I mean the ability to go onto any Internet site. Having full access. Like maybe with an update apple would add the safari app and we can use our iPad for the keyboard and view any site from your big screen tv. It's not a necessity but rather a luxury. My iPad does a great job, but since I have an apple tv now connected to my tv why not make it as great as it really can be.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711