How can Apple TV+ compete?

Ken Magel

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
As usual, Apple is late to the game. However, in this case, Apple has a substantial disadvantage it does not usually have: many of the competitors have substantial back catalogs well beyond the original content they developed just for their streaming service. Apple does not seen to have any back catalog. Even if two or three of the new shows they are developing are hits, how many people will subscribe to watch a total of less than 100 hours of hit TV along with another hundred hours or so of unknown shows?

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
It will flop 60 days after launch. There won't be enough subscribers to justify the cost. And at roughly $5 per channel, at 10 channels you'll be paying the same amount as YouTube TV and not getting anywhere near the programming.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
It will flop 60 days after launch. There won't be enough subscribers to justify the cost. And at roughly $5 per channel, at 10 channels you'll be paying the same amount as YouTube TV and not getting anywhere near the programming.

I don’t wanna draw conclusions before it happens.
I’m curious too and I really hope they’ll do something that others haven’t.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site

All these different services just have me pirating again. Sometimes the pirated stuff is better quality with more reliable streaming than the services themselves.

Ken Magel

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
Will Apple then buy Netflix or try to buy a partnership in Disney+ or something similar? Or will they try to find a source for a back catalog of shows they can license?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
As usual, Apple is late to the game. However, in this case, Apple has a substantial disadvantage it does not usually have: many of the competitors have substantial back catalogs well beyond the original content they developed just for their streaming service. Apple does not seen to have any back catalog. Even if two or three of the new shows they are developing are hits, how many people will subscribe to watch a total of less than 100 hours of hit TV along with another hundred hours or so of unknown shows?

On the surface, I can’t see Apple overtaking it’s competitors any time soon. Original content doesn’t automatically equate to a smash hit. I’m also curious to see how long it will be ad-free. Still, I’m glad Apple is offering a video streaming service we can subscribe to if we choose to do so.

ksassy

Mar 9, 2017
Visit site
I don't see how Apple will compete at all because they need more than just original content exclusive to Apple TV+. To me it doesn't make sense to offer a service just because everyone else does. Sorta feels like they're throwing up this everything Apple services to see what sticks. Disney+ has my vote and $$ based on the deep plethora of content alone.

softcake

May 23, 2019
Visit site
Will be interesting to see how it goes, I am optimistic there will be some great shows to come out of it, but with Netflix it's definitely tough competition..

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Apple is just banking on the names they brought on stage. They said nothing on their site about anything other than original content. It also requires the Apple TV app. Which it just so happens to have allowed to be placed on numerous other TV’s. I’m not sure what Apple’s endgame is here, but I’ll be watching.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
The possibilities are endless and overwhelming! I really am overwhelmed. There is so much happing in the world of cord-cutting and streaming. Trying to figure out what the best deal isn't always easy, because it depends on what type of content each individual prefers. So I will just wait and see what develops and continue to be overwhelmed. :D

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I don’t need another streaming service, whether it’s Apple, Disney, or any other company. I’m content with the few options I use. Plus TV isn’t a huge thing for me. Where’s Books+

Ken Magel

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
I have heard a rumor that Apple will offer TV+ free to Apple customers. Not sure if this is true, but it would make TV+ viable as long as it lasted. Also not sure what counts as an Apple customer, if this is true.

wilber1

Trusted Member
May 13, 2013
Visit site
I have heard a rumor that Apple will offer TV+ free to Apple customers. Not sure if this is true, but it would make TV+ viable as long as it lasted. Also not sure what counts as an Apple customer, if this is true.

I never heard that but Hello we are talking about Apple here.

calebt

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site

Free huh, maybe if you subscribe to a music family plan or a whole lot of cloud storage or some other subscriptions Apple Offers they’ll throw in TV+, but who knows

MasterDarque

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
Maybe an Apple TV+ subscription will be thrown in with a purchase of a 2019 MacPro & Pro Display XDR monitor... WITH stand...

Last edited:

Ken Magel

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
Perhaps, APple knows what they are doing. $4.99 a month is npot bad. Further, a full year free if you buy an Apple hardware product.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711