Apple TV, OS 12, and Atmos

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
Can anyone tell me which apps on the Apple TV for the big stuff like Netflix, Amazon, etc. support Atmos or is it just for things like movie purchases? If various apps support it, do they require a 4K TV or not? I ask because I have recently upgraded my home theater to support Atmos.

For example I have a Sony 4K disc player that was a recent purchase (seemed pointless to buy another blu-ray player when upgrading my 9 year old one) even though I am still running a 1080p plasma TV for now. On the Sony player I can get Atmos on Amazon content, however Netflix will not do Atmos for the content that I know has it.

Apparently XBox and one other device (as of a few months ago) supported Atmos on Netflix. Just trying to find as many sources of Atmos capable devices as I can for the streaming services we use that do have Atmos content.

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
Hmmm I just checked and Netflix has updated their support page to say the TV 4K does support Atmos on Netflix. If there's any chance one of you guys with Atmos sound capability (full surround, Atmos soundbard, etc.) can test if it will play Atmos sound while connected to a 1080p TV that would be awesome. I could probably fake it if I had to and make the Apple TV send a 4K signal to my 4K capable receiver and make my receiver scale down to 1080p but that would NOT be ideal.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods