Home iMore Q&A > Apple TV 4K

Apple TV not syncing with iCloud Photos

Asked: Aug 12 2018 | 3:29 pm EDT 2386 Views 3 Answers View Best Answer

Finally bit the bullet and turned on iCloud Photo library across my devices. Seems to be working great with one exception. I set a shared album as the screensaver for my Apple TV 4k and this seems to update infrequently if ever. I add photos to the shared album on a mac or iPhone and they show up on all of our family phones and macs almost immediately. The Apple TV may have updated once over night but I usually have to select a different screensaver and then go back to the iCloud album to force it to update; restarting the Apple TV does not seem to force it to update. Is this expected behavior? Is anyone else having this issue? Any suggestion?

Best Answer

Sep 28 2018 | 9:03 am EDT MikeElmendorf

This has been buggy for a while. On all my Apple TV devices, with various versions of the OS, it has gotten "stuck" where it only cycles through a very small selection of the photos in the shared folder for the screensaver. Most recently, I fixed this by signing out of iCloud on the Apple TV and then signing back in. Give it a try. Sometimes it seems to just fix itself--and it seems to happen sometimes without anything else having changed. Apple seems clueless about it.

More Answers

Aug 13 2018 | 8:29 am EDT pkcable

I would THINK that the Apple TV updates when it's on, and/or awake. Obviously if its off it won't update, but it also might not update if its asleep.