Apple TV 4K Connected via Ethernet; Not Working

BD15

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I've seen on the Apple forums that this is a known issue. Allegedly it was patched in 11.1, but now as I've gone through the updates to 11.2.5 on the ATV it's stopped working. It's connected directly to the router, maybe a foot away. Internet will work for some time, then just knock out. WiFi works fine and has no issues. I'd prefer keeping it wired for the speed, but not really fond of buying an additional switch as some have recommended. Wondering if anyone over here has experienced the same issue or knows of a fix?

BD15

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I had tried doing this out of the gate. I've got an IT background so I went through all of the common trouble shooting "try this first" type of things. The reset only resolved the issue temporarily...less than an hour I'd say, before it stated that I had lost internet connection. I'm still plugging away on WiFi for now. Hopefully it will be resolved at some point in the near future.

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I've seen on the Apple forums that this is a known issue. Allegedly it was patched in 11.1, but now as I've gone through the updates to 11.2.5 on the ATV it's stopped working. It's connected directly to the router, maybe a foot away. Internet will work for some time, then just knock out. WiFi works fine and has no issues. I'd prefer keeping it wired for the speed, but not really fond of buying an additional switch as some have recommended. Wondering if anyone over here has experienced the same issue or knows of a fix?

What router do you have?

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I'd prefer keeping it wired for the speed, but not really fond of buying an additional switch as some have recommended.

What exactly are you doing that wifi won't handle? I have three ATV4K's in my house, all on wifi (Charter Spectrum) and none of them have any problems with quality or bandwidth.

dcoke22

Nov 30, 2017
Visit site
It could be a couple things related to speed. Perhaps it might be that the Apple TV could work fine on WiFi, but when it is streaming video, that leaves less bandwidth for other network activities. Perhaps BD15 is sensitive to anything that interferes with quality. I'm this way. I used to get distracted by dirt on film before cinemas went to digital. Whenever Netflix has a hiccup and drops the resolution I almost feel a physical pain from the jarring.

My Apple TV is on ethernet in an attempt to minimize this stuff as much as possible. Subtle hiccups, frame drops and other oddities all are very noticeable to me and often kick me out of my suspension of disbelief.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2