What hdmi cable should I use for the New Apple TV?

iOS ???

Dec 22, 2017
Visit site
I want to make sure I get the correct HDMI to connect my Apple TV to my 4K TV. I would like the latest specifications for the HDMI cable. May anyone please provide these latest specifications so I can be up to date. I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: New Apple TV

Unless I’m missing something, any hdmi cable connected to a 4K TV should be sufficient. Granted, I don’t have a 4K TV so I may be mistaken. Hopefully, those who do will chime in soon.

iOS ???

Dec 22, 2017
Visit site
Guys, I bought the Belkin ultra high speed HDMI cable. I know my TV does not have a 2.1 HDMI port but still future proof. My question is, I connected the new cable. When I click on 4K HDR, the Apple TV works under that setting. HDR is enabled. But this setting looks washed compared to the 4K SDR setting. The SDR looks better.

My TV model is old. Mode number UN48JU6400F. Not sure if this TV has HDR or not but it grabs under 4K HDR.

Also when I have it under 4K HDR, when I click on the menu button to go back, the screen goes black for a few seconds then goes back. Like there is a delay. Also, the tv blacks out under 4K HDR at times. Why? This doesn’t happen under the 4K SDR setting.

Any help will be appreciated.

dcoke22

Nov 30, 2017
Visit site
It would seem that particular TV does not do HDR. UN48JU6400F
Samsung's website is stingy with details, but it most likely has HDMI 2.0 ports.

Up through HDMI 1.4, there were two kinds of cables. Category 1 cables, called Standard HDMI and Category 2 cables called High Speed HDMI. Now that HDMI 2.0 is out and in use, there are cables called Premium High Speed HDMI cables.

These different labels are referring to the various testing procedures and certifications the cable has received. HDMI 1.3 & 1.4 move data at a rate of 10 Gbit/s (category 2, high speed). HDMI 2.0 moves data at a rate of 18 Gbit/s (premium high speed). This higher speed is required to do 4k HDR.

On the horizon is HDMI 2.1, which moves data at a whopping 48 Gbit/s. Cables that support this are called Category 3 or Ultra High Speed HDMI cable.

You can read about this mess on Wikipedia.

The implication here is if you have a Standard, category 1 HDMI cable, it will probably not support 4k. A category 1 cable isn't certified to carry data fast enough. A cable will support all the HDMI specifications below it, but not the specs above it. So, what should you do?

Use the cheapest HDMI cable that works. Most people are using pretty short cables to connect their Apple TV 4K to their TV or receiver. Something like this 3-foot Monoprice cable for about $4 will likely work fine. I wouldn't worry about trying to future proof cables. It will likely be a time span measured in years before most people have both a TV that takes advantage of HDMI 2.1 features and a player of some kind to drive it. When the time comes, spending a few dollars on a new, up-to-date cable will be easy. Trying to buy a cable now that will support some mythical future TV setup is a recipe for wasting money.

Where things can get a bit complicated is when one needs to run a long HDMI cable. Over longer distances the quality of the construction and materials of a cable can really start to make a difference. Were I to need a cable for a long distance, I would consider cables from Blue Jeans Cable. Behind the simple website is wealth of knowledge about cables. All the Blue Jeans Cables I've purchased have worked great, but they're not the cheapest option.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner