Using Keychain

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
After a few years of keychain being introduced into Apples software, I’ve never used it but I’m considering it now.

For those of you that use it is there any issues? Pros or cons? I’d appreciate any input whether positive or negative experience if you’re using it or not anymore.

I don’t want to download an app (ie Lastpass) for a pw keeper. I’d prefer to use a baked into software version.

Thanks for any input you offer

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I use the keychain option everyday specifically to login in to various sites. I do however, use 1Password to store login credentials and everything else from my vehicle's VIN number to my kid's SSN, etcetera. Still, for web browsing, keychain is on point, in my opinion.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I use the keychain option everyday specifically to login in to various sites. I do however, use 1Password to store login credentials and everything else from my vehicle's VIN number to my kid's SSN, etcetera. Still, for web browsing, keychain is on point, in my opinion.

Thank you D, I appreciate your input

On another note, you feel secure storing your kids ss’ in 1Password?
Call me the tin foil hat police but for me I’m wouldn’t feel comfy doing that honestly🥺

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Call me the tin foil hat police but for me I’m wouldn’t feel comfy doing that honestly

I do. AgileBits has been around a while and have made 1Password very secure. I trust it as much as I do my bank's app. I've been using it since Christmas day 2013, when Santa left it in my stocking.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I do. AgileBits has been around a while and have made 1Password very secure. I trust it as much as I do my bank's app. I've been using it since Christmas day 2013, when Santa left it in my stocking.

Ok fair enough. I know they’ve been around a long time. As much as I’m contradicting myself here by using the internet, I’m just leery about using an app/website that stores my passwords.

Do you use keychain as well? What’s your thoughts on that if you do/don’t...

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Ok fair enough. I know they’ve been around a long time. As much as I’m contradicting myself here by using the internet, I’m just leery about using an app/website that stores my passwords.

I use keychain, and while I know and respect those here you use apps that store passwords, I completely understand why you're leery of them because I am too!

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I only use Keychain. I don’t use other apps. I find it cumbersome.
I have saved my passwords in an excel sheet on my phone as a backup. If keychain fails on me, I’ll always have that excel sheet to fall back on.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I have saved my passwords in an excel sheet on my phone as a backup. If keychain fails on me, I’ll always have that excel sheet to fall back on.

I do have some (not all) passwords stored in a locked note on my iPhone as well.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

I do use Keychain as well. I usually forget about it. But then it will ask to use it in Safari. At some point they added the option to add passwords not from Safari. So now you can add any passwords you want.
I haven't heard of any security issues or complaints with 1Password. AgileBits has been great with support. Mine is connected with Dropbox. If you have questions, you can email them or visit their forum.

https://discussions.agilebits.com/categories/1password-ios

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I do use Keychain as well. I usually forget about it. But then it will ask to use it in Safari. At some point they added the option to add passwords not from Safari. So now you can add any passwords you want.
I haven't heard of any security issues or complaints with 1Password. AgileBits has been great with support. Mine is connected with Dropbox. If you have questions, you can email them or visit their forum.

https://discussions.agilebits.com/categories/1password-ios

Thank you for the info Led

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Thank you D, I appreciate your input

Call me the tin foil hat police but for me I’m wouldn’t feel comfy doing that honestly

You’re very welcome, Pink :)

As for feeling secure with storing SSNs in the 1Password app, yes. I don’t have a 1Password subscription and its data is synced to iCloud so whenever I wipe my device and restore as new, I install the 1Password app and then it retrieves my data from iCloud. It’s all encrypted so I feel good about the security overall.

Last edited:

joemd60

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I have been using keychain exclusively with no issues.
One caveat which is minor. If I forget my password, or need to create a password.
I have to be on the Safari browser so it will create a password for me.

joemd60

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site

That’s a good idea, maybe when I have some time I will do that myself.
I did something similar with my contacts info on Gmail, in case that fails me.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
You’re very welcome, Pink :)

As for feeling secure with storing SSNs in the 1Password app, yes. I don’t have a 1Password subscription and it’s data is synced to iCloud so whenever I wipe my device and restore as new, I install the 1Password app and then it retrieves my data from iCloud. It’s all encrypted so I feel good about the security overall.

Ok, that I can understand doing between the app & syncing with iCloud without an actual subscription with 1Password syncing thru their cloud.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711