Find my Phone can be wrong

li2327

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
Just a quick story.....
A group of people 4 (cars worth) knocked on my door telling me I have their cell phone. Apparently someone took their child’s phone from a school , an according to their Find My Phone App it was at my address. I love in a row home where all the houses are attached. I tried to explain to her I know nothing about the school or her phone I told her she was fee to check my small law just in case it was dropped in the area. I even suggested that we call a police officer so they can search my home so they could see I didn’t have her phone. She got upset and left after I suggested getting the police involved. It was insane. She kept saying I wanted her iPhone 7. I told her I have my own iPhone. An XS Max and I didn’t need to steal hers, and never stole anything in my life. They all left and they haven’t been back.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
What an incredible nightmare for you. I think you were wise to suggest calling the police. This should probably be submitted to Apple Feedback.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
One question. Did the woman show you her screen of Find My iPhone showing your location?

Find My uses GPS, but that doesn't give you an exact pinpoint location. It gives you an area. When our son was in high school, and we looked on Find My, it always showed his location on the very middle of the school, regardless of what room he was actually in.

IMHO, and take this for what it's worth, this sounds like an attempt at a home invasion and not an Apple issue. What makes me think that is this:

I even suggested that we call a police officer so they can search my home so they could see I didn’t have her phone. She got upset and left after I suggested getting the police involved.

If she really wanted to get back her phone, she would have agreed. I know I would have been very agreeable to having the police called if I had reason to believe you had my device.

Just my $0.02.

li2327

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
No, she didn't show me her phone screen. I think may be she had the wrong street or something. My neighbor told me that before I got home they were knocking on my door, and looking through my windows!!!

wenrob

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
My phone will show me a few doors down or the street/house behind me. The phone is probably close to your home.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Find My Device shows a cone of uncertainty, as the location is not precise. In my personal case, this encompasses about 10 buildings, on 3 different streets (50m radius).

What you could have also suggested is to have enabled lost mode, or play a sound. It makes the device ring at full volume, regardless of the mute switch.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711