"Facetime unavailable"

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Hello folks

Since moving back to the USA from the UK a couple of days ago, I have been unable to make Facetime calls to my good lady back in the UK, regardless of whether I am on wifi or cellular. At my end it just rings and rings until it eventually says "FaceTime Unavailable' and on her end it rings and when she accepts, it just stays on 'Connecting" but doesn't actually connect.

There was no problem making FT calls whilst I was in the UK at all.

I have switched from my UK sim to my US AT&T sim.

We are both using iPhones on the latest revision of iOS, she is not on a call when I try (we always coordinate via iMessage first), and we have tried everything I can think of from the Apple Support site - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204168 on both of our phones plus many other obvious things, like making sure my number is selected.

I reckon i'm missing something pretty basic here but i'm so jet-lagged, I can't think what it is. Any thoughts gratefully received please.

Last edited:

Ariel Babalao

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Go to settings> FaceTime> select your US phone number is there and activated along side with your Apple ID.
Also check in cellular settings if FaceTime is turned on to use cellular data for FaceTime. You can toggle on and off and on.
When that's done, reboot your device, then initiate the call again.

Ariel Babalao

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Tried all those before. No difference.

It doesn't work regardless of whether I am on wifi or cellular.

If FaceTime is properly activated, then I see no reasons why it will not go through, that's very strange. Have you tried calling her mail address registered for FaceTime? And have you also tried to FaceTime by calling her phone number registered for FaceTime? If the phone number is not working, at least calling her mail address should go through. Maybe, you should backup your iPhone files and factory restore it again then activate again iMessage and FaceTime, see if that solve it, otherwise I would suggest a visit to Apple Store for them to help you sort it out.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
She doesn't have an email address registered for Facetime, neither do I. Neither of us ever have.

Facetime worked perfectly when I had my UK sim in, even when I was first in the US and on wifi, now I have a US sim, it's stopped working.

I'm glad you're as stumped as I am. As for backing up and restoring, first I need to buy a computer as I left my hulking great gaming desktop back in the UK.

Ariel Babalao

May 8, 2014
Visit site
When you go to settings> FaceTime> ON, what is written bellow?
Also do you have the mention of "you can be reach by face time at" your US phone number precede by a check mark?