Is Apple Pay widely available in your city?

evanking527

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
I live in Independence, Missouri, one city away from Kansas City. The Midwest hasn’t exactly been the most known to adopt new technologies, but I’ve found that Apple Pay is not as available than I’ve heard in other places. Some places in California seem bombarded with it, and I keep searching for places to use it, because I love it. Keeping track of all my receipts for each card and having the convenience of using cards that I don’t even have with me is a big deal for many. And plus, to many people, it just looks totally cool. But I seem to use it in places that accept it online or in their app a lot more than at physical stores, because stores haven’t adopted it. Some stores in my area even took it away.

What about you? Do you have many places that accept Apple Pay now? And do major cities around you accept it more?

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
It is not that common in the Cleveland, OH suburbs. At least not that I have seen. I use it at Subway and Panera Bread, but that is about it. Very different than Samsung Pay. When I am using my S8+, I use Samsung Pay everywhere and it works perfectly every time. I am not sticking with that phone so I wish Apple Pay was more common.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
It is not that common in the Cleveland, OH suburbs. At least not that I have seen. I use it at Subway and Panera Bread, but that is about it. Very different than Samsung Pay. When I am using my S8+, I use Samsung Pay everywhere and it works perfectly every time. I am not sticking with that phone so I wish Apple Pay was more common.

I was going to say this very thing. My Samsung Pay has never failed and has worked consistently pretty much everywhere. I wish Apple Pay was as accessible as my iPhone is my primary device and I'd love to use it more.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I don't use Apple Pay (yet) but have noticed that it's accepted at more places than I would have thought. I'm in SW Ohio and surprisingly, people can use Apple Pay to play Bingo at our church!

Tinkernaught

May 29, 2017
Visit site
I feel like I'm all dressed up with no place to go. I've yet to notice a place that takes Apple Pay here in the southwest part of New Mexico. But I do have Apple Pay set up on my phone, just in case! ;)

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
I haven't seen a single Apple Pay point at any of the restaurants or grocery shops I go to on a regular basis. There might be some at expensive places but not 'normal' places. I'm talking about areas around South Africa. 😃 Hopefully every month that goes by, we edge closer and closer to seeing them more and more.

evanking527

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
I haven't seen a single Apple Pay point at any of the restaurants or grocery shops I go to on a regular basis. There might be some at expensive places but not 'normal' places. I'm talking about areas around South Africa. Hopefully every month that goes by, we edge closer and closer to seeing them more and more.

Has it rolled out to South Africa yet? I can’t remember which countries have it yet.

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
Has it rolled out to South Africa yet? I can’t remember which countries have it yet.
As I said, I personally haven't see any anywhere and haven't seen any adverts promoting the functionality so I presume it's not available yet. 😃 (just checked, it's not here yet)

Would be really awesome to have it. Maybe in 2018 we will get it.

Just click on the 'availability' tab to view all countries.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Pay

akutch34

Trusted Member
Aug 31, 2015
Visit site
Reasonably common here in Baltimore, Maryland. Very common down in D.C. I've found in Baltimore I use Apple Pay 2-3x a week.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
You can't even make iTunes Store purchases with Apple Pay on the iPhone, Lol.

It's available in National Chains that support it, and a few others, around here. But it's not THAT widely available.

People who live in large metro areas are going to have a completely different experience than those in more rural/out of the way locales. Usually where you can use Apple Pay you can use Android Pay, but the situation is the same there.

The only Payment system that's reliable as a primary source of payment (i.e. leave your wallet at home) is Samsung Pay, because they use the technology that allows it to function in the absence of an NFC reader. If a business can take CCs, then Samsung Pay will work 95% of the time (if not every single time). I've seen it used with vending machines at rest stops, even...

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Technically yes but generic contactless may be price capped. If they state they have Apple Pay there is no limit

That would be a pretty rare occasion. Samsung Pay is just a far superior service right now. There really is no debating it. You would think that with all the iPhones out there, especially in the US, that Apple Pay would be everywhere.

Now when Apple Pay is accepted, it works just as quickly and easy as Samsung Pay. So as far as the actual use process they are about equal, but I've used Samsung Pay 40-50 times over the last year and Apple Pay, maybe 10. I carried an iPhone 95% of that time so that really says something about availability in my area anyway.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I've been using Apple Pay at a lot of vending machines around the Seattle-Tacoma area. I wish Redbox and the ilk would implement it at their kiosk's.
Maybe this will jog your memory to use Apple Pay when visiting these stores...
https://www.apple.com/apple-pay/where-to-use/#mn_p
Thanks for the link. I did forget about Best Buy and Jersey Mike's. So I guess there are four places I have used it around me. I don't go to a lot of different stores a guess.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR