Debit card only works in Apple Pay if run as credit card?

miblev

Jun 8, 2015
Visit site
I have a BMO Harris Bank debit card. At most merchants (ie, Whole Foods), the only way to use it through apple pay is to run it through as a debit. When I try to run it as a debit, it is declined. I have reached out to various merchants, the bank and Apple, and they each direct me to one of the others. Anyone having a similar experience?

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
My debit card works just fine through Apple Pay running it as credit or as debit. At the end of the day it's your bank that makes an approve/decline decision on your purchases. There's nothing Apple or the merchant can do about that.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
My debit card works just fine through Apple Pay running it as credit or as debit. At the end of the day it's your bank that makes an approve/decline decision on your purchases. There's nothing Apple or the merchant can do about that.

How do you run your card as a debit via Apple Pay? I've never been prompted to enter my PIN number. It always processes as credit.

I was under the belief that all cards are processed as credit via Apple Pay. So if a debit transaction is required then you'll have to swipe your card.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
How do you run your card as a debit via Apple Pay? I've never been prompted to enter my PIN number. It always processes as credit.

I was under the belief that all cards are processed as credit via Apple Pay. So if a debit transaction is required then you'll have to swipe your card.

Exactly as if I had swiped the card itself. I'm prompted to enter my PIN on the machine unless I choose credit. It depends on the store though. Walgreens, for example, doesn't prompt and always runs as a credit transaction. Meijer (a regional grocery and retail chain) will prompt me and I can choose ether credit or debit.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Exactly as if I had swiped the card itself. I'm prompted to enter my PIN on the machine unless I choose credit. It depends on the store though. Walgreens, for example, doesn't prompt and always runs as a credit transaction. Meijer (a regional grocery and retail chain) will prompt me and I can choose ether credit or debit.

Ah ok. Makes sense.

TwitchyPuppy

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
Good question..

I use my debit and credit cards, on  Pay, but respectively as a debit and credit card and never had any issue with merchants when processed as such.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods