What has happened to  Pay?

kd7irm

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Apparently my question was not fully understood, and the assumption was that I did not know how Apple Pay worked. I have a pretty good working knowledge of Apple Pay and it's intended workflow. This question was intended to open the eyes of customers as to the operation and tactics of retailers and get people to ask themselves why this is happening and what could be done. Apparently it was took as a slam of Apple, it was not. It was to question the tactics of retailers and some insight on the intention and innovation of Apple Pay. I have used Apple Pay from day one with multiple cards from multiple financial institutions, at multiple locations and no it did not start out the way it is now. I am deleting the post. Thank you.

Last edited:

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I've always had to enter my PIN when using  Pay, unless I used a credit card, then based off the purchase cost I would always have to sign. It's just policy, approval of sale if you will.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I haven't had that come up the places I use Pay. I'd have to tell that business I will no longer do business there, and why not.

Last edited:

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Now that I have a few more minutes to respond. Hopefully I can clear some of this up for you.

1. Pay allows you to pay without using a physical card.
2. You bank must approve use of Pay and you must verify your card through Pay and your bank.
3. Pay does not transmit your card information as a security measure. Since your information is being transmitted it can be picked up, this is why a code is used, so anybody who picks up the transmission does not get the card information.
4. Pay works the same way as your physical card would, any sort of payment verification (PIN, ZIP, etc) is still required per your banks standards and/or the retailers requirements.
5. Pay works the same way your physical card does, the retailer does not get that information, per se. The information for card sales is stored for a time, this is still true with Pay. However a retailer may not use that information for any other purpose unless the customer says otherwise (in the US anyway).

Basically, you having to verify your purchases as always is not the retailer collecting your information. It is payment verification. Your card number is transmitted as a token to prevent the signal being picked up and your card information stolen.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Apple Pay has always worked the same for me since the day it was launched. Some retailers have actually streamlined the process. If you're paying with a debit card and choosing "debit" you will always have to enter a PIN number. That's simply how debit works.

How is Apple Pay "not so safe as it once was"?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Apple Pay has always worked the same for me since the day it was launched. Some retailers have actually streamlined the process. If you're paying with a debit card and choosing "debit" you will always have to enter a PIN number. That's simply how debit works.

How is Apple Pay "not so safe as it once was"?

Not always. McD's never does ask for a pin when I use my debit card. Why would a biz ask for a pin with Pay?

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Not always. McD's never does ask for a pin when I use my debit card. Why would a biz ask for a pin with Pay?

McD's runs your debit card as a credit card and since you didn't spend an amount to require a signature you get through hassle free. A debit card run as a debit card requires a pin and is instant verification of purchase and processes (immediately in my case) much faster than a credit purchase, which after a certain (store or bank determined) you have to sign a receipt (or pay station) to authorize. Pay does not change this dynamic, Pay simply lets you keep your card in your wallet.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
McD's runs your debit card as a credit card and since you didn't spend an amount to require a signature you get through hassle free. A debit card run as a debit card requires a pin and is instant verification of purchase and processes (immediately in my case) much faster than a credit purchase, which after a certain (store or bank determined) you have to sign a receipt (or pay station) to authorize. Pay does not change this dynamic, Pay simply lets you keep your card in your wallet.

I figured as much. Wasn't aware of the required amount for signature. That explains it!

Anilu7

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
In Canada I can use Apple Pay for any amount up to $100 but I think that's determined by my bank. The Apple store rep suggested I contact my bank re deleting that limit for Apple Pay transactions.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro