Is Apple Pay Working for Anyone?

jkeitz

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Check with the card providers that Apple Pay is supported, and your cards have been approved for use with it. Many card providers have a (phone) security setup stage before phone payments can be accepted to the card account.

Yep, went through that too. Kohl's was one of those. They had to text me a code before it would take it. It was all set up, but still didn't work.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Yep, went through that too. Kohl's was one of those. They had to text me a code before it would take it. It was all set up, but still didn't work.

I skimmed the thread and didn't see you mention simply trying to remove and then re-add the cards. Have you tried?

Branta

Retired Network Moderator
Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
OK so work with the card providers to identify where the transaction fails. Your description suggests a positive rejection by the card provider rather than a comms failure. With the history of failures you should be able to find enough detail for a provider to trace at least one of the failed transactions, and a rejection should be in their logs even if only for security. For a guess you will probably have more chance if you are talking to one of the main card processing providers (your bank?) rather than a store card where the processing may be handled by a third party service provider like a bank.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
OK so work with the card providers to identify where the transaction fails. Your description suggests a positive rejection by the card provider rather than a comms failure. With the history of failures you should be able to find enough detail for a provider to trace at least one of the failed transactions, and a rejection should be in their logs even if only for security. For a guess you will probably have more chance if you are talking to one of the main card processing providers (your bank?) rather than a store card where the processing may be handled by a third party service provider like a bank.

THIS. I work for a bank that is also a major issuer of credit cards. We keep records of declined transactions and can even tell customers why they were declined.

jkeitz

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I skimmed the thread and didn't see you mention simply trying to remove and then re-add the cards. Have you tried?

No didn't try that. I'm on vacation at the moment, and I haven't seen anywhere that takes Apple Pay here, so I can't test it out here.

jkeitz

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
THIS. I work for a bank that is also a major issuer of credit cards. We keep records of declined transactions and can even tell customers why they were declined.

In each case, however, I just pulled out the actual card and swiped it after the Apple Pay transaction failed. In each case, the card was accepted.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
No, the stupid Dutch banks think they know better and are trying to implement their own inferior technology for Android phones equipped with NFC.

If it comes to  they're all slack and slow.

Branta

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
In each case, however, I just pulled out the actual card and swiped it after the Apple Pay transaction failed. In each case, the card was accepted.

That's what tells me the problem is a permissions and setup issue between the card account and Apple Pay, rather than a problem with the iPhone, the card account (credit limit, etc) or the technical aspects of the authorization process when using the phone. The request is getting rejected for some reason in the payment processing stage at the card provider so it has to be something the card issuer can check and probably fix with a few clicks.

One other thought... what was the value of the rejected transactions? Apple Pay is handled like a contactless card payment which in most cases has a pretty low transaction limit. Here in UK for most merchants I think it is usually about ?30 (call it = $50) regardless of how much more you could spend by using the supporting card.

Branta

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Apple Pay stop working for me at Walgreens a few weeks ago. It keeps asking me to enter a PIN.

That's a failed fingerprint recognition. Clean the Home button and wash your hands. If it still fails delete and re-register the problem fingerprint(s).

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Call your bank. It happened to me and there was some sort of block on my card that was lifted. It had to do with swapping phones.

jkeitz

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
That's what tells me the problem is a permissions and setup issue between the card account and Apple Pay, rather than a problem with the iPhone, the card account (credit limit, etc) or the technical aspects of the authorization process when using the phone. The request is getting rejected for some reason in the payment processing stage at the card provider so it has to be something the card issuer can check and probably fix with a few clicks.

One other thought... what was the value of the rejected transactions? Apple Pay is handled like a contactless card payment which in most cases has a pretty low transaction limit. Here in UK for most merchants I think it is usually about ?30 (call it = $50) regardless of how much more you could spend by using the supporting card.

The KOHLs transaction was around $175. The Walgreens one was under $10.

armandxp

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
Walt Disney World. I use AP here all the time, but if you don't tell the cashier you're using AP, it will not work when you tap the sensor. They have to actually press a button on their register, before you try to tap the sensor. It's very annoying sometimes, because a lot of the foreign cashiers, have no clue what you're talking about, until after the third or fourth try. You'd think Disney would have this set up a little more user friendly, considering Apple's investment in the company.

AKech

May 13, 2015
Visit site
I recently got a 6s Plus, and I set up Apple Pay with two credit cards, three debit cards, and a store card. I tried Apple Pay with the store card at Kohls, and it said "not authorized." When I used the card, it worked fine.

I just tried again with a debit card at Walgreens. Tried twice with Apple Pay. Got the beep, entered my pin, and the screen flashed "not authorized." After two tries, I swiped the card, and it worked fine.

What am I missing here?

ApplePay set up is a 2 step set up:
1. Install the bank card in your iPhone wallet
2. Activate Apple Pay card with a phone call to the bank or using a bank iOS app. Once you do this, it takes a few minutes or hours to activate.

If you have not done step 2, it will not work.
Did you do the second step?

Sunflower44

Mar 24, 2016
Visit site
Yes, Apple Pay is so easy with my Apple Watch (preferred), or with my iPhone that I don't even need to turn on to complete the Apple Pay process. I wish every store I frequent would have Apple Pay. I tend to shop more at those who do have it.

jkeitz

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
ApplePay set up is a 2 step set up:
1. Install the bank card in your iPhone wallet
2. Activate Apple Pay card with a phone call to the bank or using a bank iOS app. Once you do this, it takes a few minutes or hours to activate.

If you have not done step 2, it will not work.
Did you do the second step?

Are you sure about step 2? I've never heard of having to call the bank after setting up the card in Apple Pay.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Are you sure about step 2? I've never heard of having to call the bank after setting up the card in Apple Pay.

Some banks require that you place a phone call to them as a method of verifying your card before you can use it.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711