What’s everyone’s opinion on Dolby Atmos and the available audio quality settings? I have Dolby Atmos turned on and these are my current settings. Is there a better configuration of settings or any reason I should change something?

07-08-2021 09:42 PM
    I wouldn’t use Lossless on Cellular streaming, because it uses a lot of data, like a lot more (from memory 3000Kbps, instead of 256Kbps).

Personally, I can usually hear a difference on Dolby Atmos songs, but I barely distinguish a lossless track from a lossy one. There are exceptions to both of them, but they are that, exceptions.
    MrMars likes this.
    07-08-2021 10:43 PM
    I wouldn’t use Lossless on Cellular streaming, because it uses a lot of data, like a lot more (from memory 3000Kbps, instead of 256Kbps).

Personally, I can usually hear a difference on Dolby Atmos songs, but I barely distinguish a lossless track from a lossy one. There are exceptions to both of them, but they are that, exceptions.
    Would it matter if you have an unlimited data plan?
    Tartarus likes this.
    07-08-2021 10:45 PM
    Depends on your data plan structure.

If you have a unlimited data plan that does not throttle after a certain allotment, I would say no… if you always have good 3G, 4G or 5G service (by good, I expect a constant minimum of 15Mbps downstream speeds).

If you have an unlimited plan like me that throttles after X GB (I have 15GiB), then I would totally change it. Does not matter if you have a good service level or not.
    MrMars likes this.
    07-08-2021 10:56 PM
    Depends on your data plan structure.

If you have a unlimited data plan that does not throttle after a certain allotment, I would say no… if you always have good 3G, 4G or 5G service (by good, I expect a constant minimum of 15Mbps downstream speeds).

If you have an unlimited plan like me that throttles after X GB (I have 15GiB), then I would totally change it. Does not matter if you have a good service level or not.
    I’m unsure of all those specifics of my own unlimited plan so I’ll just turn off lossless for cellular. Thanks for the info
    07-09-2021 11:08 AM
    My settings are set as yours OP and thus far, it’s been great and I can indeed hear the difference in sound. The only time I stream via cellular is when I’m in my car.
    MrMars likes this.
    07-09-2021 01:24 PM
    If you have unlimited data, you should be fine. It's not like you'll be listening to music non stop. And many songs are not even lossless songs. If a song is both Dolby Atmos and Lossless, it defaults to Dolby Atmos.
    07-09-2021 03:14 PM
    If you have unlimited data, you should be fine. It's not like you'll be listening to music non stop. And many songs are not even lossless songs. If a song is both Dolby Atmos and Lossless, it defaults to Dolby Atmos.
    Good point! Thanks!
    07-09-2021 04:31 PM
    I’m surprised at how many songs, especially older songs, are lossless. I’ve not checked all of my playlists, but the ones I listen to regularly contains songs that are lossless.
    07-09-2021 06:07 PM
    I’m surprised at how many songs, especially older songs, are lossless. I’ve not checked all of my playlists, but the ones I listen to regularly contains songs that are lossless.
    Yeah, I see quite a few that show neither Dolby Atmos nor Lossless. Many of those may be live versions.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    07-09-2021 09:21 PM
    Recently when playing music through my paired HomePods I’ve noticed songs having quite an echo effect. Does that come from the Dolby Atmos feature being turned on?
    07-10-2021 10:24 AM
    Recently when playing music through my paired HomePods I’ve noticed songs having quite an echo effect. Does that come from the Dolby Atmos feature being turned on?
    I haven't noticed an echo effect. But some do have a concert hall acoustics sound on my iPhone. Depends on how it's recorded.
    07-10-2021 02:44 PM
    I haven’t experience any echoing while listening to lossless music as of yet.
    07-10-2021 04:04 PM
    What’s everyone’s opinion on Dolby Atmos and the available audio quality settings? I have Dolby Atmos turned on and these are my current settings. Is there a better configuration of settings or any reason I should change something?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...bd8dd85c0a.jpg
    Lossless and Dolby are separate settings. It's unfortunately either/or. While listening to music it will tell you what it is.

For myself personally, I've chosen high quality lossless over Dolby.
    Just_Me_D and scruffypig like this.
    07-10-2021 08:19 PM

For myself personally, I've chosen high quality lossless over Dolby.
    Same here…
    scruffypig likes this.
    07-10-2021 09:34 PM