Apple Music vs iTunes

Chris Cook5

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I just wanted to see what everyone thought about Apple Music & iTunes. I know you can download unlimited songs through Apple music but when you decide to cancel your subscription don’t you lose that music? In iTunes you can buy individual songs For $1.29

Last edited:

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I just wanted to see what everyone thought about Apple Music & iTunes. I know you can download unlimited songs through Apple music but when you decide to cancel your subscription don’t you lose that music? In iTunes you can buy individual songs For $1.29

Music is cheaper for me.
It gives me the freedom to stream, instead of saving songs on my device, add as many and listen to as many songs as I like without having to spend money on songs you may regret buying over time.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

You are correct, Chris. If you allow your Music subscription to be cancelled, the music you downloaded are no longer playable.

Having said that, I can’t tell you when the last I purchased individual tunes. Heck, I can barely tell you the names of songs that currently on the various music charts.

With that in mind, having an Music subscription is the best and cheapest option for me. I can create my music playlists and then stream the songs whenever I want without having to purchase them individually.

It’s not like back in the day when I stored tons of records, albums, 8-track cartridges, cassette tapes and CDs. Know what I mean?

Chris Cook5

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Personally I think iTunes works out better for me as I can just pay $1.29 or less per song & I don’t have to keep all of the songs on my device I’m just worried that Apple will go away with iTunes in the near future because of all the streaming services out there such as Apple Music, Spotify & others. I have also heard a few rumors that they will.

is Apple Music & iTunes pretty much the same thing? Just depends on how many times you buy songs on iTunes? If you average 5 or less songs a month at $1.29 would it be better for you to stick with Apple Music? It’s just what I’m use to with iTunes. If that ever goes away I guess I’ll have to decide

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Personally I think iTunes works out better for me as I can just pay $1.29 or less per song & I don’t have to keep all of the songs on my device I’m just worried that Apple will go away with iTunes in the near future because of all the streaming services out there such as Apple Music, Spotify & others. I have also heard a few rumors that they will.

is Apple Music & iTunes pretty much the same thing? Just depends on how many times you buy songs on iTunes? If you average 5 or less songs a month at $1.29 would it be better for you to stick with Apple Music? It’s just what I’m use to with iTunes. If that ever goes away I guess I’ll have to decide

Unless you’re a student, single Music subscribers pay $9.99 per month. 5 songs at $1.29 each per month equates to $6.45. If that is what you’ll maintain then it would be less costly to continue with what you’re doing.

As for Apple doing away with iTunes, I don’t know. I mean, none of us know how many consumers purchase music via iTunes in comparison to streaming via Music.

As for whether iTunes and Music are the same thing, the answer is no. iTunes is primarily a store whereas Music is primarily a streaming service.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
As for whether iTunes and Music are the same thing, the answer is no. iTunes is primarily a store whereas Music is primarily a streaming service.

In addition to above: iTunes has a much wider music catalog than Music. This is because of agreements and licensing. Some songs or even albums aren’t allowed for streaming, even when they’re available for sale on iTunes.

Hendri Hendri

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site
Sometimes some of my fav songs disappear from the apple music’s catalog, especially some single or rate songs. I plan to purchase from the itunes. But if purchase from itunes, can we copy the file to other music player ? And will I always can download this songs (even if the catalog has been erased by apple) ?

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
iTunes works best for me. I have never been attracted to subscribing to Apple Music. I only buy songs from iTunes that I know I like. I use both the Shazam app and SoundHound app, so when I'm driving around, and a song comes on the radio that I like, I tap one of those two apps to see what the title is. Then, when I'm connected via wi-fi, I open Shazam or SoundHound, tap on the iTunes button and purchase the song. For me, it's the best alternative.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Sometimes some of my fav songs disappear from the apple music’s catalog, especially some single or rate songs. I plan to purchase from the itunes. But if purchase from itunes, can we copy the file to other music player ? And will I always can download this songs (even if the catalog has been erased by apple) ?

Yes, music purchased through iTunes can be played on other music players, no exceptions.

It depends on Apple. As long as they keep a copy of that song you will be able to redownload it as many times as you wish.

When you notice that a certain song isn’t available anymore, try searching for it.
Sometimes a song gets deleted and is still available as a single or as part of a different album or you may find a different version of it.
I’ve found many songs back that way.

Last edited:

Anubisrashida

Nov 26, 2018
Visit site
I would go for Apple Music because the kinda music I listen always changes from time to time so everytime I can't buy a song at cost so it is Apple music for me.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Yes, music purchased through iTunes can be played on other music players, no exceptions.

It depends on Apple. As long as they keep a copy of that song you will be able to redownload it as many times as you wish.

When you notice that a certain song isn’t available anymore, try searching for it.
Sometimes a song gets deleted and is still available as a single or as part of a different album.
I’ve found many songs back that way.

I am afraid that the above statement is not very helpful to me, I have five songs that I bought from iTunes that I cannot get to transfer from my old iPhone 4 to any other device,because the album was deleted,and yes I can find them again. But,as some interfering fool has remastered the album they are on they are not the same tracks that I purchased,also I liked the artwork. So perhaps you should amend your post to “can find similar tracks”.
To me music is not a movable feast, some may find pleasure in all the variations of a song,I made my choice when I purchased it and do not appreciate business decisions that my tastes are wrong.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I am afraid that the above statement is not very helpful to me, I have five songs that I bought from iTunes that I cannot get to transfer from my old iPhone 4 to any other device,because the album was deleted,and yes I can find them again. But,as some interfering fool has remastered the album they are on they are not the same tracks that I purchased,also I liked the artwork. So perhaps you should amend your post to “can find similar tracks”.
To me music is not a movable feast, some may find pleasure in all the variations of a song,I made my choice when I purchased it and do not appreciate business decisions that my tastes are wrong.

I’m sorry to hear that this has happened to you.
I amended my post and added that portion about similar tracks to it.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
...But,as some interfering fool has remastered the album they are on they are not the same tracks that I purchased,....

That is a big gripe of mine in regard to iTunes Match. I do not want a song that has been re-made. I want the exact version that I uploaded. In regard to  Music and online music streaming services, in general, I sometimes search for a song or an album from back in the day only to find that the artist has either remade the song or album with the way his or her voice now sounds or they’ve digitally remastered it to the point of being too clean. In either case, listening to it is no longer a pleasure to me.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
That is a big gripe of mine in regard to iTunes Match. I do not want a song that has been re-made. I want the exact version that I uploaded. In regard to  Music and online music streaming services, in general, I sometimes search for a song or an album from back in the day only to find that the artist has either remade the song or album with the way his or her voice now sounds or they’ve digitally remastered it to the point of being too clean. In either case, listening to it is no longer a pleasure to me.

I always look up the original album in which a song first appeared. I don’t like ‘compilation’ albums. And almost always the original sounds better than remakes.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Apple Music subscriber here. For $10/mo I can listen to pre-configured radio stations, other friends lists, or create my own playlists. I can be listening to a song and simply add that song to an existing playlist or create a new playlist. However, if I cancel the subscription, all my created playlists are gone as they were all part of the subscription.

I tried the iTunes route, but I just prefer having music available from one source to be played on any of my devices.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234