Is it necessary to download music if you can stream with an unlimited data plan?

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Because I don’t have unlimited data, I download my music! If I did have unlimited data, I might forego that process!

Agreed.
For me, I have a $35 plan with Cricket (with autopay) which gets me 5gb data and is more than enough for me. I don’t want to have to pay extra for unlimited data plus pay for a streaming service.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I have unlimited data and yes I would. Space wouldn't be an issue because I believe in "Its better to have and not need, than to need and not have".

You keep downloading apps, you'll eventually run low on storage. I'm down to around 5 gb or less. So, I removed my songs from downloaded. There's no difference in how it works. I'm just glad I have unlimited data, so I could do that.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Re: To download or not to download...

The OP said "if you can stream it whenever and wherever". It sure seems like he's referring to a streaming service. What else would that refer to?

Like I have mine now. I don't use any streaming service. I had all my songs downloaded to local on my iPhone. But I removed them from downloaded. They are no longer on my iPhone local. They still are there, but in iTunes or iCloud. My playlists are still intact.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
You keep downloading apps, you'll eventually run low on storage. I'm down to around 5 gb or less. So, I removed my songs from downloaded. There's no difference in how it works. I'm just glad I have unlimited data, so I could do that.

It really boils down to how you as an individual choose to use your device. There really is no wrong or right. Honesty there is a difference if you have poor service and no wifi like when I'm waiting a couple of hours at the VA Hospital where connection is horrendous.
You're down to 5g because you choose to get a 128g memory iPhone 6s Plus after I told you to get a 256g. You wouldn't be worried about unlimited and/or storage if you would have listened to me...LOL

Last edited:

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
It really boils down to how you as an individual choose to use your device. There really is no wrong or right. Honesty there is a difference if you have poor service and no wifi like when I'm waiting a couple of hours at the VA Hospital where connection is horrendous.
You're down to 5g because you choose to get a 128g memory iPhone 6s Plus after I told you to get a 256g. You wouldn't be worried about unlimited and/or storage if you would have listened to me...LOL

I could get a lot back if I could connect to iTunes on computer. I have the 64 gb model. That would've been enough if Apple hadn't stole about 14 gb of storage when I reported bugs on iOS 10 beta. It would be interesting to see how much of my storage shows as "other". It has to be a lot, because what I have on my phone doesn't anywhere near add up to 54 gb. I don't think the 6s Plus came with 256 gb.

Last edited:

Mark1112

Jul 15, 2018
Visit site
I have the X 64GB, I keep about 1000 songs downloaded through my music device. That takes about 5GB of my storage. I switch playlist and albums in and out of download. The rest of library I rely on streaming. Always good for me to keep music and a few movies on board.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Re: To download or not to download...

See, that shows how much I know about it.
I still prefer to purchase my music and have it on my device. Call me old fashioned.

Not old fashioned, at all. It's just your choice. I chose to have mine on my device as well.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Nah I just stream it. Also set my podcast app to streaming as well. If I don't have a signal, I'll find something else to do, no big deal. :)

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I could get a lot back if I could connect to iTunes on computer. I have the 64 gb model. That would've been enough if Apple hadn't stole about 14 gb of storage when I reported bugs on iOS 10 beta. It would be interesting to see how much of my storage shows as "other". It has to be a lot, because what I have on my phone doesn't anywhere near add up to 54 gb. I don't think the 6s Plus came with 256 gb.

Yes I think you are correct. Allow me to rephrase. I told you to get the max Gig iPhone back then. So basically you had the 64g iPhone before you had the Verizon Unlimited Data plan....interesting.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Yes I think you are correct. Allow me to rephrase. I told you to get the max Gig iPhone back then. So basically you had the 64g iPhone before you had the Verizon Unlimited Data plan....interesting.

64 is too small, especially for someone like yourself and Ledsteplin.
You guys are experienced and therefore have a lot on your devices. But I can totally see why @Ledsteplin opted for the 64GB.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I have the Tmobile One plan with 4 lines of unlimited everything. I also have an Apple Music subscription. While streaming is nice, believe it or not, there ARE areas that still don't have good Tmo signal. So I do have a couple of playlists downloaded to my phone (128 gig storage) for those areas of unstreamibility. :)

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I agree, however I "can't" understand why @Ledsteplin opted for the 64GB especially before he had an Unlimited plan...LOL

Maybe because phones like the 8 and 8 plus only come in 64 and 256......which really stinks and sucks for those with the 7 Plus 128 gig when we get ready to upgrade.

Thanks Apple.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Maybe because phones like the 8 and 8 plus only come in 64 and 256......which really stinks and sucks for those with the 7 Plus 128 gig when we get ready to upgrade.

Thanks Apple.

Go big or go home. I always went big with my devices. I’d rather spend an extra 100 bucks on storage than being frustrated for the better part of 2 years (my upgrade cycle) because of low storage.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Go big or go home. I always went big with my devices. I’d rather spend an extra 100 bucks on storage than being frustrated for the better part of 2 years (my upgrade cycle) because of low storage.

Well we're not all as rich and carefree with our money like you are. LMAO!!!!!!!!!!

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

EXACTLY. I feel the same exact way.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Well we're not all as rich and carefree with our money like you are. LMAO!!!!!!!!!!

I’m not rich either. Far from, even. But I won’t let an extra 100 bucks keep me from enjoying my iPhone for 24 months is what I’m saying.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR