Is it necessary to download music if you can stream with an unlimited data plan?

MrMars

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
What are your thoughts. Is it necessary to download music to your phone if you have an unlimited data plan and can stream it whenever and wherever or, is it best to download if you have sufficient memory capacity?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: To download or not to download...

Being that we now having a slew of streaming music services Music, Spotify, Slacker, etcetera, I don't think it is necessary to download music to your phone anymore. Of course, if you do not subscribe to the aforementioned music streaming services or don't have music stored in the cloud somewhere then yes, it would be necessary to download music onto your phone if you want to listen to music aside from a vehicle or other external source.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

I used to download all my music. But with recent unlimited data, I've reversed that. I do keep a few songs downloaded, as I use them in some apps that require that.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site

I still download music.
First, I want to listen to what I want to listen to.
Second, if I am someplace without a signal (rare, but it could happen) I can still listen to music.
I do think streaming services are the future but hope buying and downloading continues for those of us that like to.

fyrfyter

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site

I still download music.
Second, if I am someplace without a signal (rare, but it could happen) I can still listen to music.
I do think streaming services are the future but hope buying and downloading continues for those of us that like to.

Ditto. I can’t justify a streaming plan cost, for the 1 or 2 new songs/month I want.

I’d still rather own it and sync it. There are plenty of mountainous regions in the Eastern half of the US where there isn’t cellular signal along major interstates.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site

I install my music to my phone via iTunes. A data or WiFi connection is not always guaranteed, especially if you travel a lot like we do. I do pay for Spotify, and we also pay for SiriusXM for our car. I think we also have hotspot service in the car too.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

I install my music to my phone via iTunes. A data or WiFi connection is not always guaranteed, especially if you travel a lot like we do. I do pay for Spotify, and we also pay for SiriusXM for our car. I think we also have hotspot service in the car too.

Like you, I have a hotspot feature in my car with unlimited data and therefore, I haven’t renewed my SiriusXM subscription in quite some time. It’s easier for me to stream one or more of my playlists during long trips. Know what I mean?

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site

Like you, I have a hotspot feature in my car with unlimited data and therefore, I haven’t renewed my SiriusXM subscription in quite some time. It’s easier for me to stream one or more of my playlists during long trips. Know what I mean?

Oh absolutely. My husband likes to pay for things sometimes more than a year in advance, plus the several months free that we just got with our brand new car. I have more SiriusXM than I know what to do with lol. Not only am I enjoying the new car, but also Carplay for the first time (other than in previous rentals on vacation)!

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site

I agree with you on that point about the data connection. Every now and then, I drive through weak zones so downloading doesn't really hurt.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I agree with the majority on this subject and still download music. Services and WiFi isn't always guaranteed but the music on my devices are. Plus there a lot of times my Playlist are more interesting than what streaming music can provide.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

I still download music.

I can listen to the songs I've purchased as I please, whether downloaded or not. It's done the same. My playlists are the same. I don't think the OP was referring to a streaming service.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I agree with the majority on this subject and still download music. Services and WiFi isn't always guaranteed but the music on my devices are. Plus there a lot of times my Playlist are more interesting than what streaming music can provide.

But if you had unlimited data, would you still keep them downloaded if storage space was an issue?

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
But if you had unlimited data, would you still keep them downloaded if storage space was an issue?

I have unlimited data and yes I would. Space wouldn't be an issue because I believe in "Its better to have and not need, than to need and not have".

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site

I can listen to the songs I've purchased as I please, whether downloaded or not. It's done the same. My playlists are the same. I don't think the OP was referring to a streaming service.

The OP said "if you can stream it whenever and wherever". It sure seems like he's referring to a streaming service. What else would that refer to?

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
It depends on how picky you are with audio quality too. Many streaming services use a higher compression rate when streaming (to save bandwidth and minimize unnecessary buffering) versus downloading the music over WiFi and playing from there.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site

See, that shows how much I know about it.
I still prefer to purchase my music and have it on my device. Call me old fashioned.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I’ve deleted all offline music since going Unlimited Data a year and a half ago.

Only when I’m going outside of the EU I save a few playlists for offline listening. Apart from that, I stream everything.
I have yet to be somewhere with bad reception and not being able to listen to my music.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I’ve deleted all offline music since going Unlimited Data a year and a half ago.

Only when I’m going outside of the EU I save a few playlists for offline listening. Apart from that, I stream everything.
I have yet to be somewhere with bad reception and not being able to listen to my music.

This goes to show you how everyone is different and also uses their devices differently.
The first place that comes to mind for me where I cannot use services or wifi is the VA Hospital and hospitals in general have terrible wifi. The second is my elderly family members homes that don't have wifi and live in a poor connection area. Those are just two examples. There's nothing worse than jamming to music only to be interrupted by the annoying circle (LOL ).

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Because I don’t have unlimited data, I download my music! If I did have unlimited data, I might forego that process!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW