iTunes Match vs Apple Music

facecard

May 16, 2017
Visit site
Currently, I subscribe to iTunes Match but it seems I am the only one in my family that listens to music in the local iTunes library. Everyone else prefers streaming like iHeart or Spotify. Unfortunately, I am not going to pay for multiple streaming services. I don't mind streaming and I am not against it. I like XM Radio but I am not going to pay the extra fee to stream music and make everyone happy.

I want to find out if Apple Music would be beneficial to me. Since I already pay for iTunes Match, does it make sense to upgrade to Apple Music?

Since everyone in my family likes different genres from rock to Pop to Coffee House type of music, I would like to accomplish 3 goals.

1) I would like to stream any station regardless of musical taste.
2) If I find a song I like, I would like to listen to it OFFLINE plus add it to my personal iTunes library.
3) I would like to continue to listen to my own songs in my own iTunes library.

Would Apple Music accomplish the 3 goals?

Hendri Hendri

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site
2. Yes, as long as you keep paying monthly
3. Yes, if you subscribe to applemusic, you will get itunes match service as well
1. Not sure wht u're asking. If you subs, you can stream all music which available at applemusic (on our country)

If you subs to applemusic, no need to subs to itunes match.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I want to find out if Apple Music would be beneficial to me. Since I already pay for iTunes Match, does it make sense to upgrade to Apple Music?
Yes, I think you will benefit greatly from Music
1) I would like to stream any station regardless of musical taste.
Yes, this is possible.
2) If I find a song I like, I would like to listen to it OFFLINE plus add it to my personal iTunes library.
Yes, you can add songs you wish to your personal library.
However, if you ever decide to stop your Music subscription, those songs will become unavailable for you.
You can also save songs for OFFLINE listening.
I have almost 10k songs offline on my iPhone.
3) I would like to continue to listen to my own
songs in my own iTunes library.
Music works exactly the same as iTunes Match in this matter. All your own songs will stay available for you to listen on any Apple devices you own. And even on android with the Music app.
Music is the same as iTunes Match with the added benefit of being able to listen to any songs that are available on Music. Subscribing to Music will make your iTunes Match subscription obsolete. Feel free to stop your iTunes Match subscription at any time.
Would Apple Music accomplish the 3 goals?
See my answers above.
The short answer is yes.

facecard

May 16, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. So, it does seem that I would benefit from upgrading to Apple Music. Again, the selling points are my questions. When you have a family, everyone is going to listen to various genres of music and a variety of music. Personally, I like 60s, 70s and 80s and Hair bands. My wife listens to Coffee House type of music. My teenagers listen to Top 40 and current songs on the radio. Again, I have a variety of different taste in the family.

Hendri Hendri

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site
Family plan is quite suitable for me. You could just try 3 months free. Some people prefer spotify, spotify has better playlist and recommendation (in my opinion), but applemusic has more music i listen to

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. So, it does seem that I would benefit from upgrading to Apple Music. Again, the selling points are my questions. When you have a family, everyone is going to listen to various genres of music and a variety of music. Personally, I like 60s, 70s and 80s and Hair bands. My wife listens to Coffee House type of music. My teenagers listen to Top 40 and current songs on the radio. Again, I have a variety of different taste in the family.

And they all will be served greatly with Music. No worries about that.

facecard

May 16, 2017
Visit site
For now, I guess I will keep Apple Music but I want to end the iTunes Match subscription. So, if I cancel the iTunes Match subscription, that will not affect Apple Music subscription? I am on the trial membership with A Music right now.

The only thing I need to figure out is how to I personalize Apple Music. Since this is a family plan, I want to only see stations that I like or genres that I listen to without mixing it up with someone else. My daughters like the same type of music, my wife listens to Coffee House type of music, my son likes whatever. If I keep A Music, I need to streamline it and personalize it for each member of the family.

Unfortunately, my teens have been going crazy and finding songs and videos and hitting the "offline" button so now the iTunes library is a mess. They are downloading songs that I already have in the library which causes a duplicate of the song. I need to figure out the best way to clean up the Library.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
For now, I guess I will keep Apple Music but I want to end the iTunes Match subscription. So, if I cancel the iTunes Match subscription, that will not affect Apple Music subscription? I am on the trial membership with A Music right now.
This is correct. Your Music subscription will not be affected.
The only thing I need to figure out is how to I personalize Apple Music. Since this is a family plan, I want to only see stations that I like or genres that I listen to without mixing it up with someone else. My daughters like the same type of music, my wife listens to Coffee House type of music, my son likes whatever. If I keep A Music, I need to streamline it and personalize it for each member of the family.
It’s a little bit extra work but there is a Grouping field if you tap Get Info when you right click on a song.

You could use that to filter your daughters’ and wife’s songs by entering their names or similar there.
Then you can create Smart Playlists to show Songs only you like, your daughters like and your wife likes.

That’s how I have separated some songs from the rest in my library.
Unfortunately, my teens have been going crazy and finding songs and videos and hitting the "offline" button so now the iTunes library is a mess. They are downloading songs that I already have in the library which causes a duplicate of the song. I need to figure out the best way to clean up the Library.

Songs that get duplicated when you add them from Music are the ones with iCloud status ‘Uploaded’.

Make a Smart Playlist to show only those songs in that playlist. Then locate that playlist on your iPhone or iPad, delete them from your library on your iPhone or iPad (Don’t worry, the actual file will not be removed from you me computer). Open iTunes on a computer, sort all songs by iCloud status and select them all, right click on one, choose ‘add to iCloud Music Library’ and wait for the process to be done.
You will see that the status of most of those songs have changed to Matched.
The ones that are still ‘Uploaded’ have most likely incomplete tags. Try to correct them as much as possible. You can search for those songs on Music and right click to ‘Get Info’, memorize that information or make a screenshot and correct the songs on your own library.
I have successfully done this for most of my songs.

Yes, this is cumbersome but definitely worth the effort.

Good luck and let me know here if you have any other questions.

Hendri Hendri

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site
This is correct. Your Music subscription will not be affected.

It’s a little bit extra work but there is a Grouping field if you tap Get Info when you right click on a song.

You could use that to filter your daughters’ and wife’s songs by entering their names or similar there.
Then you can create Smart Playlists to show Songs only you like, your daughters like and your wife likes.

That’s how I have separated some songs from the rest in my library.

Songs that get duplicated when you add them from Music are the ones with iCloud status ‘Uploaded’.

Make a Smart Playlist to show only those songs in that playlist. Then locate that playlist on your iPhone or iPad, delete them from your library on your iPhone or iPad (Don’t worry, the actual file will not be removed from you me computer). Open iTunes on a computer, sort all songs by iCloud status and select them all, right click on one, choose ‘add to iCloud Music Library’ and wait for the process to be done.
You will see that the status of most of those songs have changed to Matched.
The ones that are still ‘Uploaded’ have most likely incomplete tags. Try to correct them as much as possible. You can search for those songs on Music and right click to ‘Get Info’, memorize that information or make a screenshot and correct the songs on your own library.
I have successfully done this for most of my songs.

Yes, this is cumbersome but definitely worth the effort.

Good luck and let me know here if you have any other questions.

With family plan, they should have used their own apple id as well right ? So how can the songs got mixed up ?

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
No, I meant with family plan, the songs won't mixed up since every member will use their own apple id for their apple music account (this is statement, not questions :v)

Apologies, I didn’t look at sender. You’re not the one I supposedly replied to.

Yes you’re right. Music Family subscription plan is there for this reason.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice