Apple Music or Play Music?

Eclipse2K

Jul 17, 2016
Visit site
Question - does everyone here use Apple Music or do some of you subscribe to Google Play? I ask because they both offer applications on iOS but Google Play has a bit more to it including YouTube Red. No matter what you use, if you've thought about both, why did you choose the one you did? I've been using Apple Music just because I am using iOS but YouTube Red is intriguing. Besides that, I am an Android convert (switched a year ago) and am used to Chrome and other apps.

TwitchyPuppy

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
I use  Music for it's integration with iOS 10 and I really don't mind not having YouTube Red.

I wanted to try Google Music but it wasn't the same.. Spotify is okay, at best. (For me).

Eclipse2K

Jul 17, 2016
Visit site
I use  Music for it's integration with iOS 10 and I really don't mind not having YouTube Red.

I wanted to try Google Music but it wasn't the same.. Spotify is okay, at best. (For me).

I can relate. I have an extended trial to Play Music but I feel like the interface is a bit more sloppy and a bit childish looking. I don't know, I love bright colors but not in my applications. I do like YouTube Red, but I am not sure that in itself is worth using Play Music at this point. The only reason I can see myself using Play Music is because my TV has Android TV built in so I can stream music but that's not a major plus in my opinion.

grover5

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I use both right now as I got three months free for Apple Music when I got my 7+ a month ago. I prefer play music but Apple Music is better integrated with Siri. Apple Music does not cast to my google home though.

vimagreg

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
For me no  Music neither Play Music: Spotify just works much better than both for me. Best interface period!

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
When I was using Android I was also a Google Music subscriber. Now that I've been using iOS for the past year, I'm on Apple Music. I personally don't see one as better or worse than the other.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
To answer the thread question, my answer is that the choice depends on the user and his or her audio streaming needs and integration with an associated device. If you're heavily into the Google ecosystem, Google Play may be a better choice and vice-versa for the Apple ecosystem. I've never used Google Play and am not interested in it because Music fits my audio streaming needs quite well.

Eclipse2K

Jul 17, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the responses.

I wouldn't say I am overly deep into any ecosystem. I have a Windows 10 laptop which can access any of the services. My new television is Android based so I can use Google Play but not Apple. However, this isn't really a big deal as if I am listening to music at home I generally do it through my Bluetooth headphones. I have been using Apple Music for no reason other than I am using an iPhone 7 so I figure why not. It integrates so well and one thing Apple Music does that no other does is sync the playlist information to my navigation display. If I use other services, it says the current song but the playlist itself says PLAY MUSIC 01 and so on. This is because I don't use Bluetooth - I plug into the lightning port and my Acura TSX recognizes it as an iPod. It sounds better doing this than using Bluetooth and it also keeps my device charged.

So based on that, I am likely sticking with Apple Music. But I was curious to see if anyone here whom has used both, or even another such as Spotify, had major reasons I didn't know about as to why they chose a different application.

Eclipse2K

Jul 17, 2016
Visit site
I use Apple Music because I have an iPhone and an Apple TV.

I actually looked into an Apple TV but the current model is a downgrade from my Android TV. My TV supports 4K HDR but Apple TV doesn't. Once they release a mode that does do it, which I figure will be soon, I will buy one. I am not a fan of the Android ecosystem - I can't tell you how many times I've had to unplug my TV due to it not syncing to apps. The worst part is I bought the TV in August and have had it force reboot on me during gaming at least 5 times. Apparently Android crashes on Tvs too. :(

tonyr6

Oct 5, 2014
Visit site
Used Apple Music for a year and a half. Too many issues.

Forced to use iTunes which is horrible.
No speaker support except Sonos. Really no Chromecast or any other type of support. Forced to use Bluetooth which is horrilbe. Drains the battery, phone calls interrupt the music and notifications ruin your music.
No gap-less playback on Android app.
Battery drain on Android app.
Tracks randomly pulled just look at the Fania classic salsa section. No it is not a licensed issue as you can't even purchase those tracks either. Those tracks are available everywhere else even on the horrible Tidal service.
Apple Music down all the time. Many times just get a spinning circle of nothing.

Went back to Play Music I am not forced to use Bluetooth, have Chromecast support and a web player.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro