Delete from Library also deletes from personal playlist - is this right?

philmctim

Dec 29, 2016
Visit site
I like just about everything about Apple Music but this drives me crazy:

1) I hear a song I like so I add it to a playlist.
2) I like the song on the playlist so I add the album to my library.
3) I listen to the album, don't love it, so I delete it (Delete from Library -> Delete Album)

This results in the song being deleted from a playlist! This is not what I wanted.

Does anyone else think this is the wrong behavior? Every time I want to delete an album I have to think about what playlists I'm gonna wreck! I think playlists and the library should be independent of each other.

I am a Music subscriber. In Settings, I have "Add Playlist Songs" switched off and the "iCloud Music Library" switched on.

Thanks for any thoughts on this. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
When you tap and hold on the song you want to get rid of, you're prompted with the following choices:

1. Remove Download
2. Delete from Library

If you select the first option, it will delete the song/album from the device while leaving the song in your playlist for streaming purposes. If you select the second option, it will remove the song/album from all devices and playlists.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Next time just go to that album, delete all other songs except for the one in your playlist(s) and you're good to go.

Or try playing around with the toggle for Add Playlist Songs under Settings > Music. I have it on because I want all my songs in playlists also in my library, but see for yourself what you like best.

philmctim

Dec 29, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the reply, Just_Me_D, but this doesn't do what I'm looking for.

Delete library will leave the album in my list of albums. I don't want to see it there. I might have hated the album!

philmctim

Dec 29, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the reply, Tartarus, but this is neither practical nor does it do what I'm looking for.

I can't keep track of all the album tracks I've added to playlists. And I would still see a one-song (or two-song, or whatever) album in my album list.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal