Does Apple Music match all your songs or just some?

samduffy

Apr 21, 2016
Visit site
Apple Music matching

Does Apple Music match all your songs or just some and also I read on apples website that when a song is matched the iCloud status will appear as Apple Music and why does it match them for and not put your own purchased songs on all your devices why does it need to match your own purchased songs. For example I have over 400 purchased songs from iTunes on my Mac when the iCloud music library is enabled what is happening to the songs on my iOS devices and for each of these songs the iCloud status is appearing as purchased does this mean that the songs are not being matched and if so why

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Re: Apple Music matching

Sam, our Music expert lives abroad and is asleep. He'll explain it to you tomorrow. I don't know any more than you about it.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site

The answer is simple, really.

Music simply doesn't take in account whether a song is purchased or obtained illegally.
It simply looks if songs in your iTunes are available on their streaming database. If so, it matches them. If not, it uploads them to your iCloud Music Library.

Your own purchased songs don't get affected physically by this process.
In other words, nothing changes on your hard drive.

On iTunes you can select your purchased song, right click and tap "Get Info". There is a tab with song info that shows if the song was purchased and with which account or put in your iTunes by Music.

On iDevices however you will not see if a song is purchased or matched or uploaded. It simply shows the songs for you to play.

If you enable iCloud Music Library on iDevices with songs already in them, you get the choice to merge or replace them. As long as all your songs on your iDevice were already on your Mac iTunes, replacing is what you have to do. This doesn't affect anything on your Mac, whereas merging songs will cause duplicate songs on your Mac iTunes.

I'm not sure if I understand your last question regarding iDevices and purchased songs not being matched.

samduffy

Apr 21, 2016
Visit site

Thanks for the response sorry about all the questions. My last question is do your purchase songs get matched or uploaded to iCloud music library. And secondly is it correct to say the iCloud status of a song will show as Apple Music when matched to a song

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site

Thanks for the response sorry about all the questions.
It's my pleasure
My last question is do your purchase songs get matched or uploaded to iCloud music library.
Depending on whether the songs are available for streaming they will either get matched or uploaded to your iCloud Music Library.
And secondly is it correct to say the iCloud status of a song will show as Apple Music when matched to a song
Yes, that is correct. Matched songs appear as Apple Music in iTunes.

samduffy

Apr 21, 2016
Visit site

thanks. ok so sorry about the confusion but all my songs in apple music i bought are all showing as purchased and the apple music songs are showing as Apple music as the icloud status since all the purchased songs are not showing as apple music does this mean that none of them were matched. I'm very confused about apple music its a web of complexity lol

samduffy

Apr 21, 2016
Visit site

Screen Shot 2016-07-14 at 13.00.59.png you can see here all purchased no apple music for status for purchased songs only apple music status for songs i streamed for offline play. can you tell me if this is working correctly since none of my purchased songs are being matched since they are not showing apple music as the icloud status

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site

Yes I understand your frustration.
I don't know why this has happened to you and I don't have the expertise in it to answer that question with full clarity.
My advice for you is, if it works, don't fix it. Keep it that way.
As long as your physical songs are intact, there is no need to worry.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site

View attachment 109240 you can see here all purchased no apple music for status for purchased songs only apple music status for songs i streamed for offline play. can you tell me if this is working correctly since none of my purchased songs are being matched since they are not showing apple music as the icloud status

Do all of these purchased songs appear on your iDevices ? If so, forget about the status. For all I know you would be better off by hiding that tab in 'view'. I know I did

samduffy

Apr 21, 2016
Visit site

why does it match your own purchased songs if you own them and they are yours whats the need to stream them surely it makes sense to just download them in their original form

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site

Apple Music is a streaming service of Apple. Unless you have saved those songs as downloads on your iDevices they will always be streamed to save storage on your iDevices.
On your iTunes however the songs are physically on your hard drive in your Mac, which means they will not be streamed if you play them.

samduffy

Apr 21, 2016
Visit site

ok. apple reset my library as there was some purchased songs showing with the apple music status and they told me this was wrong so engineers reset the library to have them show as all purchased which they are so unless this is why but surely engineers would have known about the matching algorithm. Unless this changed with the last update maybe its strange either way but I'm happy once i get all my songs on all devices and none are missing

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site

Glad you got it worked out! In a pinch you can always contact Apple Support and they can help you get stuff fixed up. They have superior support!

PS: Sam, since you have now been with us for a few month and you are no longer a brand new member, I have decided to move this thread to Apple Music. It's a better fit in here. :)

samduffy

Apr 21, 2016
Visit site

thats fine. so essentially the only difference for me is that instead of my music being matched its just being uploaded as is and shared to all my devices is that right

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site

Sounds to me like the preference would be for matched purchased music to play from a local source (your device) and NOT streaming so you are not charged data, and then music you don't own, will still be available BUT will be streaming via Apple Music and thus cost you data charges. Now this may not matter if you have unlimited data which these days most of us do not.

But Tartarus is the expert. :)

samduffy

Apr 21, 2016
Visit site

so do you think everything is working then is their a way to see if the songs on the iPhone are matched

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site

thats fine. so essentially the only difference for me is that instead of my music being matched its just being uploaded as is and shared to all my devices is that right

I don't know. You contacted Apple Support, so they changed a few stuff for you alone. I'm basing my answers on how it should be, but your situation is different because of your contacting them.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice