I have Apple Music and iTunes Match - and completely confused. Can I please get some help?

I

iMore Question

I have Apple Music and iTunes Match - and completely confused

Simple example:

I add a song to My Music via Apple Music, and then download it so I can "play offline"

+ I have iTunes Match - which in all honesty I have no idea what this does.

If I cancel Apple Music - will I still have that song that I downloaded? Somewhere in iTunes?

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I have Apple Music and iTunes Match - and completely confused

Welcome to iMore! Any music made available via Apple Music will become unavailable once you cancel your subscription. iTunes Match essentially allows you to "match" your music collection to Apple's digital cloud version, making your music available on all of your devices. If they don't have the title you've uploaded (for example, if it's a local artist) they will upload it and store it in your iCloud account for you.
At the end of the day most users really don't need both services.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204962

tashbury

Feb 3, 2016
Visit site
Re: I have Apple Music and iTunes Match - and completely confused

Apple Music customer services told us we needed iTunes Match too. Ok so when we cancel Apple Music all music will disappear.

Is iTunes Match essentially the same kind of service as Apple Music?

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site

Apple Music customer services told us we needed iTunes Match too. Ok so when we cancel Apple Music all music will disappear.

Is iTunes Match essentially the same kind of service as Apple Music?

The link I posted in my previous reply does a decent job of explaining the differences between the two services.

matt3166

Sep 3, 2014
Visit site

Basically iTunes Match is your music made available anywhere you can have access to it. You cancel it it's still your music.
Apple Music is Apple's music, your basically renting it, once you cancel the service you give the music back to Apple.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site

Basically iTunes Match is your music made available anywhere you can have access to it. You cancel it it's still your music.
Apple Music is Apple's music, your basically renting it, once you cancel the service you give the music back to Apple.

Well put!