Simple example:

I add a song to My Music via Apple Music, and then download it so I can "play offline"

+ I have iTunes Match - which in all honesty I have no idea what this does.

If I cancel Apple Music - will I still have that song that I downloaded? Somewhere in iTunes?
    02-02-2016 05:07 PM
  2. Rob Phillips said: Best Answer

Welcome to iMore! Any music made available via Apple Music will become unavailable once you cancel your subscription. iTunes Match essentially allows you to "match" your music collection to Apple's digital cloud version, making your music available on all of your devices. If they don't have the title you've uploaded (for example, if it's a local artist) they will upload it and store it in your iCloud account for you.
    At the end of the day most users really don't need both services.
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204962
    Welcome to iMore! Any music made available via Apple Music will become unavailable once you cancel your subscription. iTunes Match essentially allows you to "match" your music collection to Apple's digital cloud version, making your music available on all of your devices. If they don't have the title you've uploaded (for example, if it's a local artist) they will upload it and store it in your iCloud account for you.
    At the end of the day most users really don't need both services.
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204962
    02-02-2016 07:20 PM
    Apple Music customer services told us we needed iTunes Match too. Ok so when we cancel Apple Music all music will disappear.

Is iTunes Match essentially the same kind of service as Apple Music?
    02-03-2016 06:07 PM
    Apple Music customer services told us we needed iTunes Match too. Ok so when we cancel Apple Music all music will disappear.

Is iTunes Match essentially the same kind of service as Apple Music?
    The link I posted in my previous reply does a decent job of explaining the differences between the two services.
    02-03-2016 06:42 PM
    Basically iTunes Match is your music made available anywhere you can have access to it. You cancel it it's still your music.
    Apple Music is Apple's music, your basically renting it, once you cancel the service you give the music back to Apple.
    Rob Phillips likes this.
    02-06-2016 10:26 AM
    Basically iTunes Match is your music made available anywhere you can have access to it. You cancel it it's still your music.
    Apple Music is Apple's music, your basically renting it, once you cancel the service you give the music back to Apple.
    Well put!
    matt3166 likes this.
    02-06-2016 10:35 AM
    But you keep any music that belongs to you.
    02-06-2016 07:50 PM