Apple Music/iTunes/iCloud Library issue

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
I've been using Apple Music on my iPad for a few days now. On my iPad and iPhone, I have iCloud Music Library disabled. My problems arose after turning on my MacBook today to sync. I updated iTunes, and synced my iPad... iTunes also synced with Apple Music, and iCloud Music Library on the MacBook was enabled.

Long story short, a bunch of my music in iTunes is now "greyed out" and unplayable. It says to play, I need to download it from iCloud, but it will not download at all. Those particular tracks are also removed from my iPad that synced with the MacBook. These tracks are MP3s imported from elsewhere or ripped from CDs. Not purchased from iTunes. Not sure what the deal is, but iTunes/iCloud is either holding my tracks hostage, or straight up robbed me of over $2,000 worth of my media.

Anyone know how I can restore my tracks to pre-iCloud Music Library condition?

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site

None of those seem to address my issue. I do not use iTunes Match. This content was not purchased from iTunes. Ever since iCloud Library tried to scan my iTunes Library, this content is no longer available on my Mac or any of my devices. (It doesn't show on my synced devices at all, it won't play or download from iCloud on my Mac. The tracks are greyed out and unresponsive)

Most resolutions in those links involve deleting content from iCloud and starting over. Because these were not purchased from iTunes (and in many cases, are not even available on iTunes) if I delete them, I assume they will just be gone. I cannot redownload them from Purchases. As it is, they may already be gone, but I'm hoping there is some way to release them from their iCloud purgatory.

I have tried signing out if iTunes and signing back in. I've tried disabling iCloud Music Library and reactivating it. I'm currently verifying and repairing disk permission, to see if that helps for some reason.

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
Please navigate to your iTunes music folder on your Mac and make sure the physical files are still in the music folder.

After a trip to the Apple Store Geniuses, here is the bad news. The vast majority of the files that were not purchased from iTunes are now corrupted. Out of 3800+ tracks/28gb, roughly 9gb survived. Everything else is corrupted beyond recoverable. Because I do not have a backup of my iTunes library, there is nothing I can do, beyond rebuilding my library from scratch. Sourcing all my tracks and downloading/ripping them again.

Thankfully, the small selection of the lost tracks that I most wanted, survived on my old iPod Touch. I know there are ways to import from an iOS device to iTunes, but at this point, I'm just going to leave the iPod alone and just be happy those tracks escaped destruction.

crankerchick

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Sorry this happened to you. Crazy. It's not supposed to ever touch physical files.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

crankerchick

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Definitely send feedback. The service definitely doesn't just work, not even for those of us that aren't having these types of permanent damage with corrupt libraries and deleted files.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

htmanning

Jan 12, 2010
www.iBlastPhone.com
Feeling your pain. After the iOS 8.4.1 update all of my offline music and videos were removed. Apple Music is an absolute disaster and failure for anyone who was using iTunes Match. To make matters worse, downloading via iTunes Match takes an insane amount of time. I takes me 2 hours to download 10 songs. Half the time, the songs don't show up after I download them.

I finally just broke down and uploaded my entire library to Google Play. Google downloads 10 songs in 30 seconds. In every respect, Google Play beats iTunes Match for streaming your own library, and it's free. I hate the interface, but the performance is ridiculously better than Apple's offering.

crankerchick

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Interesting. I don't have those download issues in Apple Music. Google Music was notoriously slow at uploading songs for me, though. I had the same problem you had with my offline music and videos disappearing, although it happened to me after the app crashed, not after an update. For me, the music and videos weren't gone from the device, just gone from the app knowing they were there. Oddly, plugging in to iTunes and doing a sync made the app recognize the downloaded content.

Douglas Sekus

Jun 30, 2015
Visit site
Same issue here. It takes FOREVER to download songs. I'm on a long flight tomorrow and I have been downloading songs to my 6 Plus all week. I finished last nigh finally getting 410 songs local. I checked this morning - all local music is gone! This, needless to say, is extremely frustrating.

woteva65

Feb 13, 2015
Visit site
Apple Music kindly chose to help my music appreciation out by deleting all my music stored under the iTunes folder except for Geronimo by Sheppard ( a good song but not up there with some of my favourites wiped permanently from my drive).

Luckily the assessment of what music to cull was not extended to external libraries.

I know it is widely held that Apply can't do Cloud but they don't help their cause to remove this perception by releasing such a bug ridden mess such as Apple Music.

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
Are you guys just using iCloud music or both iCloud and match? I don't have Any issues like this and my music downloads very fast, good internet connection.

anon(39328)

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
I use both. I noticed a handful of songs missing from my library shortly after Apple Music launched. Thankfully, I have a backup. Hopefully Apple sorts all of this out soon. As it is right now, I'm not planning to renew either subscription.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh