Many questions regarding Apple Music...

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: Many questions reguarding Apple Music...

I'm getting more than 25 results for the band 'Queen' in regard to albums, but I didn't check to see if some were duplicates.

vesperdem

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site

You are probably looking at the albums list in the search results page. That list seems go to on forever.

If you click on the artist's link and bring up their page. Then go down to either Top Albums or Albums and click either one, you will only get 25 results.

This seems odd to me since the search results Albums link gets way more than 25.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site

I think it's kind of a downer but just wait for Apple Music to improve. Meanwhile, keep in mind that only a handful artists have over 25 albums. If you know for certain that an artist has more than 25 albums, just open their Wikipedia page and then discography to see what albums they have and search for those in Apple Music. I know it inconvenient, but as I said, since only a few artists have more than 25 albums, this shouldn't be a big problem to do as you won't have to do it very often

crankerchick

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site

This is crazy. Ridiculous. I think this has happened to me a few times and I didn't even know it.

crankerchick

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site

Whoops, sorry, meant to quote vesperdem's post regarding the 25 albums being the most it shows when you look at albums from an artist.

vesperdem

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
That's cool. I actually haven't really looked at the UI on the iPhone yet. I've been too busy adding albums to my collection. I notice that what you were saying about the iOS interface also is available in iTunes. The "..." that appears after the name of the song that's currently playing in the top center gives you the ability to see the Artists page, album page and even highlight the song. Pretty cool.

Also, just as an FYI, "UX" stands for User eXperience. He did use it correctly in his rant. Just thought you might want to know. :)

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
That's cool. I actually haven't really looked at the UI on the iPhone yet. I've been too busy adding albums to my collection. I notice that what you were saying about the iOS interface also is available in iTunes. The "..." that appears after the name of the song that's currently playing in the top center gives you the ability to see the Artists page, album page and even highlight the song. Pretty cool.

Also, just as an FYI, "UX" stands for User eXperience. He did use it correctly in his rant. Just thought you might want to know. :)

Thanks for that. I didn't know

crankerchick

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
I think your responses to him that point out where he's wrong about how to use the app are spot on. However, it is your opinion that Apple music is better, not fact. Just remember that. You are very pro Apple Music and that's great, but you are coming off as fanatic in the thread.

I've used all the different services and I personally do not find Apple Music to be the most obvious one to use. I think the reason is because Apple doesn't use the "hamburger" menu (menu that slides out from the left when you press three horizontal lines at top left of screen or slide from left to right from the left edge of the screen). They are trying to fit the same options with one less screen, hence the loaded ... menu that has different options.

Each UI choice has pros and cons. The hamburger menu conflicts with the back gesture and the back gesture is 100-times more useful to me than the slide in menu.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I think your responses to him that point out where he's wrong about how to use the app are spot on. However, it is your opinion that Apple music is better, not fact. Just remember that. You are very pro Apple Music and that's great, but you are coming off as fanatic in the thread.

I've used all the different services and I personally do not find Apple Music to be the most obvious one to use. I think the reason is because Apple doesn't use the "hamburger" menu (menu that slides out from the left when you press three horizontal lines at top left of screen). They are trying to fit the same options with one less screen, hence the loaded ... menu that has different options.

Each UI choice has pros and cons. The hamburger menu conflicts with the back gesture and the back gesture is 100-times more useful to me than the slide in menu.

Yeah, I stated multiple times it is my opinion. I just wanted to give him a proper reply.

And, sure, iTunes can be marked as not a user friendly app, but then again, I'm used to the way it works. I'm an habits person. That means when I'm used to something, I don't want to get used to a different thing. I'm very close minded in that regard

crankerchick

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm used to the way iTunes and Apple Music work now after using them for a good bit of time (iTunes for years, Apple Music everyday for the last month) and I think I've got them figured out. It's easy to think something isn't hard to use once you've figured it out.

Right now aside from how bloated iTunes is, the implementation of Apple Music is just really bad. I could go on and on. It works so that's good, but I would not say it's good how it works.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I miss the exclusion of playlists from iTunes on the device.

I have a few playlists for other purposes than listening to it, so I would like for them not to show up on my phone. But there is no option to do this.

You can however, exclude songs, albums or artists from your phone by simply removing them from  Music on your phone.

In iTunes you'll see a cloud, indicating its deleted on the cloud, but still exists on your iTunes and on your hard disk.

In regard to the bloatedness of iTunes, it's an all in one solution for everything Apple related on Windows and I suppose even Mac. I am not that familiar with how Android or Windows Phone does that, but I suppose Apple is the only one with such solution. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I guess this explains why iTunes is 'bloated'.

Be free to read this article on iMore http://m.imore.com/how-would-you-change-itunes

vesperdem

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
I think the reason is because Apple doesn't use the "hamburger" menu...

Apple doesn't use the Hamburger button because they don't use it anywhere else in their iOS apps. The use the bottom row of icons pretty much everywhere. That was their choice and I'm fine with it.

My initial confusion with Apple Music was the dramatic change in those icons. Moving most of what was there into the My Music tab in the lint/button in the middle of the screen.

Also, iTunes may be a huge resource hog, but it works and displays all your music in one place. Not a section for locally stored music vrs. music on the service's servers. I was OK with Spotify until I realized that the music I had stored on the HDD was completely separate from the rest of the music displayed on the client. Amazon's client is so clunky that it's pretty much useless. Amazon is a great way to store your music offsite in case you loose your local storage. Like I did about 2 months ago. Thanks to that crash, all the music I had access to was on my iPhone and stored on Amazon's servers.

Hopefully, Apple will see fit to display more that 25 albums within the artist's pages, then I think it will be pretty much perfect.

One thing they should really do (and maybe they did and I just flew past it) is show some screens when users first turn on Apple Music to teach them the difference between locally stored music, iTunes Music Library music and Apple Music. That would really help people understand what has happened to the app.

vesperdem

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
I miss the exclusion of playlists from iTunes on the device.

I have a few playlists for other purposes than listening to it, so I would like for them not to show up on my phone. But there is no option to do this.

Just name the playlists something that will sort to the end of the list of playlists. That way they will be out of the way. I used to name intermediate smart playlists (ones that other smart playlists pulled from) with three "X"'s like "XXX iPhone 5* Songs". I had some pretty complicated playlists setup so that I didn't overfill my iPhone and iPod.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Just name the playlists something that will sort to the end of the list of playlists. That way they will be out of the way. I used to name intermediate smart playlists (ones that other smart playlists pulled from) with three "X"'s like "XXX iPhone 5* Songs". I had some pretty complicated playlists setup so that I didn't overfill my iPhone and iPod.

Yeah, that's my workaround as well

crankerchick

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
I put them all in a playlist folder so then I just have to see that folder instead of all of the playlists at the end of the list.

vesperdem

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
Playlist Folders are cool! How long have they been in iTunes? I hadn't noticed them until after Apple Music was released.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2