Thanks a lot about those Smart Playlists. It saves me a lot of time now.
    crankerchick likes this.
    07-31-2015 10:59 PM
    SmartPlaylists are why I needed Apple to do Apple Music. I have a loved smart playlist just as vesperdem described. I have dozens of them based on ratings, last played, never played, genre, year, etc.

Examples:
    Never Played for a genre: Play count = 0, genre = some genre
    Self explanatory

Not recently played: genre is some genre, last played is not within x days, rating is greater than 4
    Plays my 5 rated songs that I haven't listened to in the last x days. Crucial for shuffling my favorite music, leaving the playlist to listen to something else, and then going back to the playlist later. I won't hear in the shuffle music I already heard I left the playlist before getting through the rest of the playlist. This is especially crucial right now since the app can't seem to remember what was queued up sometimes.

Favorite artist shuffle: artists is , rating is greater than 3
    For my favorite artists, whom I own multiple albums for. This is especially helpful right now since there's a bug getting the app to show the shuffle button for artists that have more than 2 albums in the library.
    Classic music: genre is , year is less than , rating is greater than 3
    Plays my favorite songs from would be "classics". Beats trying to build a playlist from scratch of "classic rock". You just add songs to library and rate them. You have to fix the year of the song in iTunes if the song is coming from a greatest hits album or something and the year is off.

Using Google Music, Spotify, any of those is a little painful when you have to build your playlists one song at a time knowing that iTunes can do it smartly for me.

I need Apple To squash the bugs in this app so I can finally have any song I ever want to listen to working with smart playlists. I have at least 20 smart playlists that make deciding what I want to listen to easy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    08-01-2015 11:17 PM
    I gave Smartlists a go yesterday but somehow all songs appeared on iTunes in the list, but not on the phone.

Ie: I had a playlist 'Rated 5*' and on my desktop it was 165 songs and on my phone it was 163. I didn't get that. I tried figuring it out, but it was tiresome. So I will wait till all bugs are squashed and give it a go later.

I have the feeling there is opened a new world for me with Smart Playlists.

I love Greatest Hits albums like everyone else does, but never buy them anymore. I find that the original song most of the time sounds better. It gives that nostalgic feeling when listening to it.
    When I have a original song, a (few) remix(es) and a revised new version of the song, I listen to all of them and then uncheck the box thingie next to it in iTunes to avoid playing it when shuffling that artist. Apple Music on my phone plays those songs anyway, so I am gonna create a Smartlist to exclude unchecked songs from being played. But as I said, I'm waiting till al bugs are squashed.

Thanks for the tips. That's what I love about this forum. We all learn from each other.
    08-02-2015 12:35 AM
    I'm not sure what makes smart playlists have different song amounts on desktop and phone but I've seen it long before Apple music. I'm not sure it's an Apple music "bug" or just a longstanding bug (or some thing Apple thinks is a "feature"). Smart Playlists update live on the phone, though, so it isn't uncommon for them to be out of sync at times between devices (and especially now with Match/iCloud library and the delay in updates to the library from iOS devices for play count and last played). Your example doesn't fall into that category, but some condition on the phone is causing the list not to update.

I don't buy greatest hits CDs either, but with older music on streaming services sometimes you find that is all that's available. I listen to a lot of classic r&b and Rock and see it all the time.

My wish in this area is for the matching to get where the service knows that a song on album release and the same song on a compilation are the same. That way if the song plays from an apple music playlist, it will count it in the play count no matter what album it plays from.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk
    Last edited by crankerchick; 08-02-2015 at 06:27 AM.
    08-02-2015 06:16 AM
    Yeah but it's weird it's not the same song amount across my iPhone and desktop, because I have exact the same library on both. I'm OCD, so I will stay on 'dumb' playlists for now.
    08-02-2015 07:41 AM
    I'm very meticulous about my library and my tags, especially since my smart playlists depend on them. The benefit of using them for me outweighs the instances where I see discrepancies.

08-02-2015 08:04 AM
    Yeah, it seems like you figured Smart Playlists out completely. I, on the other hand, didn't even know what it was till yesterday. So until I decide to figure it out on a day, I'll stay old fashioned.
    08-02-2015 08:08 AM
    Something to be aware of with regards to artists discographies and Apple Music.

Apple Music does not show the Artists entire discography even when displaying the artists page and click on the Albums link. There seems to be a maximum of 25 albums that are displayed no matter what. They missing albums are in Apple's collection, just not displayed on the screen.

I find this dumbfounding since it's possible to display hundreds of songs that seem to take iTunes a serious amount of time to download to your computer for display. Displaying albums would take much less data to send.

It makes adding albums to a collection difficult since searching for albums can be problematic if the name is short or common.
    crankerchick likes this.
    08-02-2015 12:33 PM
    I haven't encountered this yet
    08-02-2015 12:36 PM
    Search for Queen in Apple's library. Trust me when I say that there are way more than 25 albums in their collection. Other bands to check, Genesis, Electric Light Orchestra, Alan Parsons Project.
    08-02-2015 12:44 PM
    I'm getting more than 25 results for the band 'Queen' in regard to albums, but I didn't check to see if some were duplicates.
    08-02-2015 01:03 PM
    You are probably looking at the albums list in the search results page. That list seems go to on forever.

If you click on the artist's link and bring up their page. Then go down to either Top Albums or Albums and click either one, you will only get 25 results.

This seems odd to me since the search results Albums link gets way more than 25.
    08-02-2015 01:43 PM
    I think it's kind of a downer but just wait for Apple Music to improve. Meanwhile, keep in mind that only a handful artists have over 25 albums. If you know for certain that an artist has more than 25 albums, just open their Wikipedia page and then discography to see what albums they have and search for those in Apple Music. I know it inconvenient, but as I said, since only a few artists have more than 25 albums, this shouldn't be a big problem to do as you won't have to do it very often
    08-02-2015 03:52 PM
    This is crazy. Ridiculous. I think this has happened to me a few times and I didn't even know it.
    08-02-2015 08:43 PM
    This is crazy. Ridiculous. I think this has happened to me a few times and I didn't even know it.
    Elaborate
    08-02-2015 08:43 PM
    Whoops, sorry, meant to quote vesperdem's post regarding the 25 albums being the most it shows when you look at albums from an artist.
    Tartarus likes this.
    08-02-2015 09:43 PM
    Here is something I just discovered, because I wanted to reply to someone.

Please take in consideration this person was way out of line and I reacted accordingly

http://forums.imore.com/showpost.php?p=2567439
    08-02-2015 10:24 PM
    That's cool. I actually haven't really looked at the UI on the iPhone yet. I've been too busy adding albums to my collection. I notice that what you were saying about the iOS interface also is available in iTunes. The "..." that appears after the name of the song that's currently playing in the top center gives you the ability to see the Artists page, album page and even highlight the song. Pretty cool.

Also, just as an FYI, "UX" stands for User eXperience. He did use it correctly in his rant. Just thought you might want to know.
    08-03-2015 01:09 AM
    That's cool. I actually haven't really looked at the UI on the iPhone yet. I've been too busy adding albums to my collection. I notice that what you were saying about the iOS interface also is available in iTunes. The "..." that appears after the name of the song that's currently playing in the top center gives you the ability to see the Artists page, album page and even highlight the song. Pretty cool.

Also, just as an FYI, "UX" stands for User eXperience. He did use it correctly in his rant. Just thought you might want to know.
    Thanks for that. I didn't know
    08-03-2015 04:45 AM
    I think your responses to him that point out where he's wrong about how to use the app are spot on. However, it is your opinion that Apple music is better, not fact. Just remember that. You are very pro Apple Music and that's great, but you are coming off as fanatic in the thread.

I've used all the different services and I personally do not find Apple Music to be the most obvious one to use. I think the reason is because Apple doesn't use the "hamburger" menu (menu that slides out from the left when you press three horizontal lines at top left of screen or slide from left to right from the left edge of the screen). They are trying to fit the same options with one less screen, hence the loaded ... menu that has different options.

Each UI choice has pros and cons. The hamburger menu conflicts with the back gesture and the back gesture is 100-times more useful to me than the slide in menu.

08-03-2015 06:16 AM
    And iTunes really is awful.

08-03-2015 06:17 AM
    I think your responses to him that point out where he's wrong about how to use the app are spot on. However, it is your opinion that Apple music is better, not fact. Just remember that. You are very pro Apple Music and that's great, but you are coming off as fanatic in the thread.

I've used all the different services and I personally do not find Apple Music to be the most obvious one to use. I think the reason is because Apple doesn't use the "hamburger" menu (menu that slides out from the left when you press three horizontal lines at top left of screen). They are trying to fit the same options with one less screen, hence the loaded ... menu that has different options.

Each UI choice has pros and cons. The hamburger menu conflicts with the back gesture and the back gesture is 100-times more useful to me than the slide in menu.

Yeah, I stated multiple times it is my opinion. I just wanted to give him a proper reply.

And, sure, iTunes can be marked as not a user friendly app, but then again, I'm used to the way it works. I'm an habits person. That means when I'm used to something, I don't want to get used to a different thing. I'm very close minded in that regard
    08-03-2015 06:20 AM
    I'm used to the way iTunes and Apple Music work now after using them for a good bit of time (iTunes for years, Apple Music everyday for the last month) and I think I've got them figured out. It's easy to think something isn't hard to use once you've figured it out.

Right now aside from how bloated iTunes is, the implementation of Apple Music is just really bad. I could go on and on. It works so that's good, but I would not say it's good how it works.

Tartarus likes this.
    08-03-2015 06:33 AM
    I miss the exclusion of playlists from iTunes on the device.

I have a few playlists for other purposes than listening to it, so I would like for them not to show up on my phone. But there is no option to do this.

You can however, exclude songs, albums or artists from your phone by simply removing them from  Music on your phone.

In iTunes you'll see a cloud, indicating its deleted on the cloud, but still exists on your iTunes and on your hard disk.

In regard to the bloatedness of iTunes, it's an all in one solution for everything Apple related on Windows and I suppose even Mac. I am not that familiar with how Android or Windows Phone does that, but I suppose Apple is the only one with such solution. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I guess this explains why iTunes is 'bloated'.

Be free to read this article on iMore http://m.imore.com/how-would-you-change-itunes
    08-03-2015 06:37 AM
    I think the reason is because Apple doesn't use the "hamburger" menu...
    Apple doesn't use the Hamburger button because they don't use it anywhere else in their iOS apps. The use the bottom row of icons pretty much everywhere. That was their choice and I'm fine with it.

My initial confusion with Apple Music was the dramatic change in those icons. Moving most of what was there into the My Music tab in the lint/button in the middle of the screen.

Also, iTunes may be a huge resource hog, but it works and displays all your music in one place. Not a section for locally stored music vrs. music on the service's servers. I was OK with Spotify until I realized that the music I had stored on the HDD was completely separate from the rest of the music displayed on the client. Amazon's client is so clunky that it's pretty much useless. Amazon is a great way to store your music offsite in case you loose your local storage. Like I did about 2 months ago. Thanks to that crash, all the music I had access to was on my iPhone and stored on Amazon's servers.

Hopefully, Apple will see fit to display more that 25 albums within the artist's pages, then I think it will be pretty much perfect.

One thing they should really do (and maybe they did and I just flew past it) is show some screens when users first turn on Apple Music to teach them the difference between locally stored music, iTunes Music Library music and Apple Music. That would really help people understand what has happened to the app.
    08-03-2015 07:29 AM
80 1234