What's your initial impression of Music?

msauce08

May 14, 2013
Visit site
I am really liking Apple Music but there is one issue I am having that I have had even before with iTunes Match.

When downloading playlists to use offline, I find that unlike other music services, Apple Music takes much longer to download a playlist compared to when I use Spotify. On Spotify I could have about 500 songs downloaded in less than 10 minutes but Apple Music takes over three times as long for a playlist of the same amount of songs.

Any idea why and any tips on maybe making it quicker somehow?

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I am really liking Apple Music but there is one issue I am having that I have had even before with iTunes Match.

When downloading playlists to use offline, I find that unlike other music services, Apple Music takes much longer to download a playlist compared to when I use Spotify. On Spotify I could have about 500 songs downloaded in less than 10 minutes but Apple Music takes over three times as long for a playlist of the same amount of songs.

Any idea why and any tips on maybe making it quicker somehow?

I would give it some time. Millions hit it at once. No doubt Apple is working on optimizing things.

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm liking it so far, some songs that I listen to on spotify aren't available on Apple music but I'm sure that could change over time. The only thing I don't like is there is no quality option for cellular data, it automatically uses lower quality when on cellular data. I'm going to wait until near the end of the free trial before I make the decision to cancel my spotify subscription.

Sent from my 5th gen iPod touch (beta testing) using Tapatalk

msauce08

May 14, 2013
Visit site
I would give it some time. Millions hit it at once. No doubt Apple is working on optimizing things.

Actually even before the Apple Music debut it was the same way. I'm thinking maybe Spotify downloads it at a somewhat lower bit rate versus Apple who downloads the standard 256 AAC file. Correct me if I am wrong.

Hopefully this doesn't keep up as it may be a bit of a deal breaker for me...

crankerchick

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Can anybody address Finn and I's concern about playlists sorting? I'm using beta 2 of iOS 9 and from my experience using Music on iTunes I can have the playlists sort by artist but does that reflect in the app on your phone?

The Lannisters send their regards.

I'm in iOS 8 and my playlists are sorting by artist. I have playlist sorting set to artist in Settings > Music.

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm in iOS 8 and my playlists are sorting by artist. I have playlist sorting set to artist in Settings > Music.

Playlists themselves are sorted by artist, yes. But once you go into that playlist, there is no way to do an auto sort by artist or song title. In other words, if I add 100 songs to a playlist, they will show up exactly in the order I add them without the option to auto sort by artist or song title alphabetically.

Last edited:

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Playlists themselves are sorted by artist, yes. But once you go into that playlist, there is no way to do an auto sort by artist or song title. In other words, if I add 100 songs to a playlist, they will show up exactly in the order I add them without the option to auto sort by artist or song title alphabetically.

You can actually set it in iTunes, I know cause my playlist that I sync from iTunes to my phone is sorted by date modified.

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
You can actually set it in iTunes, I know cause my playlist that I sync from iTunes to my phone is sorted by date modified.

I wonder what I might be doing wrong. After I got Apple Music into iTunes last night, I went into playlists in iTunes and sorted all songs by artist. However, that did not sync over to the app on my phone.

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I wonder what I might be doing wrong. After I got Apple Music into iTunes last night, I went into playlists in iTunes and sorted all songs by artist. However, that did not sync over to the app on my phone.

Hmm. I haven't updated iTunes yet but I know that you have to remove the playlist from your phone then sync the playlist back to apply changes but the last time I did that I was using iTunes 12.1.2 and iOS 8.3 at the time. My playlist order stayed the same on my phone after I updated my phone via OTA though. I'm going to download iTunes 12.2 and check if I can still sort playlists by date modified.

crankerchick

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Also remember that everything with iTunes Match / iiTunes Cloud Library isn't instantaneous. It's hard to know what does and doesn't happen immediately. In the past, playlist updates seem to be automatic. I've never tried sorting them in iTunes and then seeing if it happens instantaneously on the iOS device or not, though. I wonder if the sorting will take effect once your phone does an update (which seems to be after 12 hours has lapsed and you play a song to completion).

crankerchick

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
I'll also add that my playlists that are sorted in iTunes are showing up sorted the same on my iPhone. I have a "Recently Played" smart playlist and it is sorted with most recent at the top and on my iPhone it is showing in the same order, not in artist order.

If I understand your question right, are you saying that you can add songs to a playlist on the iPhone and they aren't sorting by artist when you look at the playlist on the phone? Making sure I understand so I can try to duplicate the behavior.c

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I'll also add that my playlists that are sorted in iTunes are showing up sorted the same on my iPhone. I have a "Recently Played" smart playlist and it is sorted with most recent at the top and on my iPhone it is showing in the same order, not in artist order.

If I understand your question right, are you saying that you can add songs to a playlist on the iPhone and they aren't sorting by artist when you look at the playlist on the phone? Making sure I understand so I can try to duplicate the behavior.c

Hi :) Basically I have two very specific issues.

- I believe you have seen elsewhere the playlist issue I am having where if I create a playlist in the phone app, and later when searching new music, go to add songs to the playlist, only certain ones show up in the playlist even though all show up in the library.

- Secondly, and this is similar to how my Spotify works, as I add songs to a playlist, they by default show up in the playlist in the order I add them. In the iphone app, there is no option to then auto-sort the songs by artist or name within the playlist (unless I manually move each and every one). However, in that same playlist in Apple Music on my Macbook, there is an option to auto sort those songs by Artist or Song Title with one click of a button. Despite doing that auto sort, it does not simultaneously cause that sorting action to display in the iphone app.

Sorry, it is clear in my head but challenging to describe.

fridayxiii

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
So far I'm loving Apple Music. I never got into Spotify but used Pandora for a bit, then found Songza, which I really liked for the mood or activity-based playlists. I've been getting a little bit tired of my playlists and the music in my library, but Apple Music seems to be the remedy I'm looking for. I think it'll be worth $9.99 per month after the trial. Well done, Apple! :yes:

crankerchick

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Hi :) Basically I have two very specific issues.

- I believe you have seen elsewhere the playlist issue I am having where if I create a playlist in the phone app, and later when searching new music, go to add songs to the playlist, only certain ones show up in the playlist even though all show up in the library.

- Secondly, and this is similar to how my Spotify works, as I add songs to a playlist, they by default show up in the playlist in the order I add them. In the iphone app, there is no option to then auto-sort the songs by artist or name within the playlist (unless I manually move each and every one). However, in that same playlist in Apple Music on my Macbook, there is an option to auto sort those songs by Artist or Song Title with one click of a button. Despite doing that auto sort, it does not simultaneously cause that sorting action to display in the iphone app.

Sorry, it is clear in my head but challenging to describe.

Got it. I don't know why sorting in iTunes doesn't carry over to the phone app, but the only thing I can think of is that your phone hasn't actually synced to the cloud yet. Some things don't happen instantaneously with this service. Your phone doesn't continuously sync everything with the cloud library. For example, if you listen to a song on the phone, it won't register in the cloud library or on other devices that you played it until sometime later after certain conditions have been met and a minimum amount of time ha passed. Maybe the playlist sort isn't instantaneous even though the additional songs added to the playlist are.

As to why songs aren't showing, I honestly have no idea. If all the songs show in the library and were all added to the playlist from the same device (so no syncing questions to answer) I can't think of why it isn't working properly.

Skippermark

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site
It would be good if it worked better. Having lots of problems. Uploading my own music is hit or miss. I have a CD of my niece playing the piano, and it tried to say it was George Strait. :redface: Lots of albums are uploading with the wrong artwork (totally different albums), and some are showing the totally wrong artist...see previous sentence.

pearlyrob

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
can i ask a question. if i select iCloud music library to on, does that mean no music is store locally on my device?I can't wrap my head around this cloud idea. if i turn it on, i can't select the songs via iTunes i want, so how do i manage it?

twinlight

May 25, 2015
Visit site
There is alot to improve!

Choosing quality? I guess its Apples decision to keep it simple.
No landscape mode is unbelievable since they actually made a big thing about that when they presented the 6 plus.

A more elegant toggle for offline would be nice.
Adding Beats 1 schedule to calendar would also be nice.
Adding it to reminders or alarms. Like telling Siri 'wake me up at 9 to Beats 1'.

Artists wants to Connect with us? Put up tickets, events or some unique material, mixes, pictures or thoughts.
I never understood twitter so would rather have something like that under Connect if the artists want to communicate with us.

Edit: this Connect thing is apparently already like what I was talking about. Just hadn't found it and gotten it to show me stuff from artists!

Can you search for artists that use Connect?

pearlyrob

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
yeah i think you can search for artists that use connect.

Ok, if i turn music iCloud library on, how to i add songs via iTunes?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
There is alot to improve!

Choosing quality? I guess its Apples decision to keep it simple.
No landscape mode is unbelievable since they actually made a big thing about that when they presented the 6 plus.

A more elegant toggle for offline would be nice.
Adding Beats 1 schedule to calendar would also be nice.
Adding it to reminders or alarms. Like telling Siri 'wake me up at 9 to Beats 1'.

Artists wants to Connect with us? Put up tickets, events or some unique material, mixes, pictures or thoughts.
I never understood twitter so would rather have something like that under Connect if the artists want to communicate with us.

Edit: this Connect thing is apparently already like what I was talking about. Just hadn't found it and gotten it to show me stuff from artists!

Can you search for artists that use Connect?

The calendar thing would have to be optional. I don't want it on my calendar.

mmcfly23

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Color me impressed. Not sure if I'm ready to give up spotify though. Heck, I have 3 months to decide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk