What's your initial impression of Music?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
As the thread title asks, what is your initial impression of Music? Will you subscribe to it?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Probably not. It was a nice showing, but I really was not that impressed. Spotify for free works OK for me. And I have TuneIn Radio.

Douglas Sekus

Jun 30, 2015
Visit site
So far very good. I have only been using for an hour or so, but like what I am seeing. I have spent most of my time playing curated play lists and like what I am hearing.

I do have a couple of questions. First, is there (will there be) a new iTunes being released along with Apple Music? Secondly, From my iPhone 6 Plus I added the album Yuck from Alipne to "My Music" and that worked as expected. I opened iTunes, and the album showed up in my music with Download from iCloud icon next to each song. Hovering over the icon produces the expected "Download from iCloud message, however, nothing happens when you click on the icon. Will Apple Music songs (1) not download to iTunes for off-line playing, (2) not download during the 3 month trial, or (3) require a new version of iTunes?

FYI - I am an Apple Match user.

Doug

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I gotta say this regarding Beats 1 and its launch.

Let's just say, hypothetically, that the 9AM Pacific Time launch there were about 5, 10 , or even 15 million people listening and we all heard those songs at once. Imagine what that does for the musicians/band. It's incredible when you think about it.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
My radio stations are gone. I don't care for Beats 1 at all. I can't stand the music they play. I'll stick with TuneIn Radio Pro. I would have preferred it stay like it was.

crankerchick

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
So far very good. I have only been using for an hour or so, but like what I am seeing. I have spent most of my time playing curated play lists and like what I am hearing.

I do have a couple of questions. First, is there (will there be) a new iTunes being released along with Apple Music? Secondly, From my iPhone 6 Plus I added the album Yuck from Alipne to "My Music" and that worked as expected. I opened iTunes, and the album showed up in my music with Download from iCloud icon next to each song. Hovering over the icon produces the expected "Download from iCloud message, however, nothing happens when you click on the icon. Will Apple Music songs (1) not download to iTunes for off-line playing, (2) not download during the 3 month trial, or (3) require a new version of iTunes?

FYI - I am an Apple Match user.

Doug

I'm having the same issue. I can see the music in iTunes that I've added using my iPhone, but I can't play it. It shows grayed out and I can't play it or download. The Apple Music website gives the impression that iTunes can be used, but there's no update available and it's not working for me as it is. I don't see the Beats 1 station under the radio section of iTunes either.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
My radio stations are gone. I don't care for Beats 1 at all. I can't stand the music they play. I'll stick with TuneIn Radio Pro. I would have preferred it stay like it was.

I see a couple options for you if you are willing to try it. If you go to Radio and then under recently played you will see any station that you played on iTunes Radio recently. You can play them from there and save them. The other option and the one I chose is to just go to an artist or genre that you had a station set up under iTunes Radio and set up the station again. I just did that and it took me all of about 2 minutes to set up a dozen stations based on various artists. I know some people have a hard time with change and I do to with some things as well. While it is different, I think that all of the changes that have been made are well worth relearning a few things. The music app is really great now. I used Google Play Music before this because of the features that I felt were lacking in Apple's app. Now with this update I will more than likely use Apple Music exclusively.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm having the same issue. I can see the music in iTunes that I've added using my iPhone, but I can't play it. It shows grayed out and I can't play it or download. The Apple Music website gives the impression that iTunes can be used, but there's no update available and it's not working for me as it is. I don't see the Beats 1 station under the radio section of iTunes either.

I don't recall what was said about iTunes, if anything. I would imagine that an update would be needed to use the Apple Music and Beats 1 features though. Obviously we don't have that yet. Hopefully that will come soon.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I see a couple options for you if you are willing to try it. If you go to Radio and then under recently played you will see any station that you played on iTunes Radio recently. You can play them from there and save them. The other option and the one I chose is to just go to an artist or genre that you had a station set up under iTunes Radio and set up the station again. I just did that and it took me all of about 2 minutes to set up a dozen stations based on various artists. I know some people have a hard time with change and I do to with some things as well. While it is different, I think that all of the changes that have been made are well worth relearning a few things. The music app is really great now. I used Google Play Music before this because of the features that I felt were lacking in Apple's app. Now with this update I will more than likely use Apple Music exclusively.

It doesn't show all the stations I had been playing. I don't see that option to create a station.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
S
It doesn't show all the stations I had been playing. I don't see that option to create a station.

I will give you an example of what I did. I searched for an artist. When the artist came up I touched the three dots next to the artist and selected start station. It started a station based in that artist. The next question is, does that station get saved? I can see it under recently played but I don't see a place where it lists "my stations". Still looking for that. It's a learning process for sure.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone seen a place that saves "My Stations"? If I set up a new station where does it go? I see it in recently played but what if I wanted to save it like I did with iTunes Radio?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
S

I will give you an example of what I did. I searched for an artist. When the artist came up I touched the three dots next to the artist and selected start station. It started a station based in that artist. The next question is, does that station get saved? I can see it under recently played but I don't see a place where it lists "my stations". Still looking for that. It's a learning process for sure.

That's where it ended for me. I tap start station, then there's nothing. How to add more songs of same genre to that station?

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
That's where it ended for me. I tap start station, then there's nothing. How to add more songs of same genre to that station?

It didn't start playing music based on that artist? If I start a station based on an artist it will play music in that genre. My question is does it save the station for you?

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
It didn't start playing music based on that artist? If I start a station based on an artist it will play music in that genre. My question is does it save the station for you?

Recently Played is basically the saved stations. My recently played stations take me back all the way to stations I played in 2013

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
UNHAPPY :(

I tried to set up a playlist... That worked great, but there is no way to set the whole playlist to be available offline. Unless I am missing something. You can go to each song and select them to download, but who has time to go through 100+ songs and do that one at a time.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
UNHAPPY :(

I tried to set up a playlist... That worked great, but there is no way to set the whole playlist to be available offline. Unless I am missing something. You can go to each song and select them to download, but who has time to go through 100+ songs and do that one at a time.

Tap on the 3 dots (...) on the playlist list and you'll see the option.