Switching from Spotify to Apple Music?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Howdy All!

I'm sure there is already a topic on this but unfortunately search isn't working on Tapatalk for me.

Wanted to get some feedback from those who have switched from Spotify to Apple Music. I've been a Spotify subscriber for almost a year and lately it's beginning to lose me. The app has been very buggy. I just got a new car with Apple CarPlay. Plugged in my phone and the music played as if it was being fast forwarded. Googled it and I had to reinstall the app (which deleted all of my offline content). Was out walking this week and my AirPods disconnected while using Spotify. Assumed it was an AirPods issue. Yesterday the app crashed and I couldn't hear the music (again, assumed it was the AirPods). The AirPods were still connected and I could listen to music from the native iOS app. Finally got back into Spotify and the music was fast forwarding again. I'm starting to get a little irritated at this point and Apple Music is looking good. I can sign up for a year at a time too and get 2 months for free. Only thing I'm not crazy about is there isn't integration for Apple Music on my Bose SoundTouch speaker. All opinions are welcome. Thanks!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The problem is defiant with the Spotify app or your infotainment system software. If having the dealership reinstalling the infotainment system software doesn't fix the issue and you've gone through each setting therein, then yeah, you should consider subscribing to Music. It works flawlessly in my car. Anyway, let us know what you decide to do, if you do not mind...

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
The problem is defiant with the Spotify app or your infotainment system software. If having the dealership reinstalling the infotainment system software doesn't fix the issue and you've gone through each setting therein, then yeah, you should consider subscribing to Music. It works flawlessly in my car. Anyway, let us know what you decide to do, if you do not mind...

You're just coming through for me left and right today! So I just got my car 2 weeks ago and the dealership did a firmware update right before I picked it up (I had to order it from their plant). I found several articles on Spotify's forums about this issue. The company acknowledges it but they don't have a solution other than reinstall.

I wasn't crazy about Apple Music when I had my free trial but they've done a lot of work since then. I'm also thinking that it might just work better since I have so many apple devices already plus the option of paying for 10 months and getting 12 is nice.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I wasn't crazy about Apple Music when I had my free trial but they've done a lot of work since then. I'm also thinking that it might just work better since I have so many apple devices already plus the option of paying for 10 months and getting 12 is nice.

I am using Music religiously and apart from the social part it is awesome.

You will love the seamless syncing between all your Apple devices.

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site

You will love the seamless syncing between all your Apple devices.

Thanks for the feedback. So I have a couple questions:
1) Do the interface improvements help? When I did the 3 month free trial when Apple Music was first released, I hated it and had trouble navigating.
2) I'm assuming you can make custom playlists for offline listening (like when I'm at work, in the car, biking, etc)?
3) Spotify sort of syncs across all devices - is Apple Music better? If I have a playlist downloaded on my iPhone, will it automatically download elsewhere or will it just be "created" and available to download if I want?

4) This is insanely specific but... I have a Bose SoundTouch system. If I have music downloaded to my iMac, am I able to play that through the SoundTouch app? Just like any of my other purchased music?

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
1) Do the interface improvements help? When I did the 3 month free trial when Apple Music was first released, I hated it and had trouble navigating.
I don't really know. For me, those improvements where subtle. The app in itself comes naturally to me and the improvements haven't made that any different.
But if I have to be honest, I think you'll like it.

2) I'm assuming you can make custom playlists for offline listening (like when I'm at work, in the car, biking, etc)?
This is correct.
3) Spotify sort of syncs across all devices - is Apple Music better? If I have a playlist downloaded on my iPhone, will it automatically download elsewhere or will it just be "created" and available to download if I want?

That's entirely up to you. I have Automatic Downloads enabled in Settings > Music.
When I add songs to Music on any device, it gets automatically downloaded for offline use on my iPhone.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I don't really know. For me, those improvements where subtle. The app in itself comes naturally to me and the improvements haven't made that any different.

This is correct.

That's entirely up to you. I have Automatic Downloads enabled in Settings > Music.
When I add songs to Music on any device, it gets automatically downloaded for offline use on my iPhone.

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site

This is correct.

I'm thinking I might sign up again for a month to start and see how I like it. I'm pretty sure it makes sense for me to jump over but I think another trial might be warranted.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Agreed. I don't even waste my time with the social aspect of it. I use it strictly for streaming the music that I want to hear, and it's great for doing that, in my opinion.

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Agreed. I don't even waste my time with the social aspect of it. I use it strictly for streaming the music that I want to hear, and it's great for doing that, in my opinion.

I don't use any of the social service. My primary focus is streaming music and finding new music. The only hang up I have right now is my Bose SoundTouch speakers aren't compatible with Apple Music. Not really a deal breaker but I'm a little disappointed.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
....The only hang up I have right now is my Bose SoundTouch speakers aren't compatible with Apple Music. ....

Explain. I mean, I don't understand how the speakers aren't compatible. If they connect wirelessly to your iOS device without a problem, they should emit the music being streamed. Granted, I've never used the "SoundTouch" models, but I have used the "SoundLink" speakers while streaming Music without a problem.

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Explain. I mean, I don't understand how the speakers aren't compatible. If they connect wirelessly to your iOS device without a problem, they should emit the music being streamed. Granted, I've never used the "SoundTouch" models, but I have used the "SoundLink" speakers while streaming Music without a problem.

The speakers I have connect to the wifi network in my home and are operated with an app. So I can add music services and then access them through directly through the SoundTouch app. I have Sirius, Pandora, Amazon Music and Spotify (plus local radio) linked right now. Because of how Apple Music is setup, and the protection they put on their music files, they aren't compatible with the Bose app. The newer model I have in my basement also has Bluetooth so it isn't an issue, the one in my bedroom is a little older and doesn't have Bluetooth (I can still airplay though but it's wonky sometimes).

3c371735af1756ec97c91d7a1a339de5.png

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The speakers I have connect to the wifi network in my home and are operated with an app. So I can add music services and then access them through directly through the SoundTouch app. I have Sirius, Pandora, Amazon Music and Spotify (plus local radio) linked right now. Because of how Apple Music is setup, and the protection they put on their music files, they aren't compatible with the Bose app. The newer model I have in my basement also has Bluetooth so it isn't an issue, the one in my bedroom is a little older and doesn't have Bluetooth (I can still airplay though but it's wonky sometimes).

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170529/3c371735af1756ec97c91d7a1a339de5.png

Oh okay. I understand now, and thank you for the clarification....

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I use Spotify on a daily basis and I've never had any of the problems that you posted in your original post. Interesting that this is happening. I'm also curious as to why this would happen. It sounds like some sorta streaming issue.
For the record YUK, if your a Spotify member your music syncs between all your devices just like Apple Music.
a4a81303679329c3aa0dbc4bdd810eef.png

Last edited:

CPR

Mar 30, 2016
Visit site
Respectfully, DISAGREE: To me Amazon Music is sonically superior; (dynamic range), to Spotify, & Apple Music.
Also, a tech from the Apple store, recommended deleting the App; (Spotify), on my IPhone
It was causing tremendous battery % loss
Also, the Studio Music Player App, copies ALL your ITunes, & SYNCS the particular headphones, & Earphones that you use; including AirPods; great App; try it; it works
listened to the re-mixed Sergeant Pepper, on Spotify, & Amazon; was amazed, how much more detail the Amazon App delivered.

Last edited:

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Respectfully, DISAGREE: To me Amazon Music is sonically superior; (dynamic range), to Spotify, & Apple Music.
Also, a tech from the Apple store, recommended deleting the App; (Spotify), on my IPhone
It was causing tremendous battery % loss
Also, the Studio Music Player App, copies ALL your ITunes, & SYNCS the particular headphones, & Earphones that you use; including AirPods; great App; try it; it works
listened to the re-mixed Sergeant Pepper, on Spotify, & Amazon; was amazed, how much more detail the Amazon App delivered.

I guess we have to agree to disagree. First, have never experienced "tremendous" battery drain while using Spotify, Second, It is my ears opinion that Spotify sounds better than Amazon Music (I actually have both), Third, I will admit that certain songs sound better on certain music apps, but I find that for overall performance and sound....Spotify comes in FIRST.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I really enjoyed Spotify when I used it. The audio streams at a higher quality as well which is nice. The reason I switched to Apple Music is because the integration is far better. There really is something to be said about the way Apple integrates their services into their devices. It makes it tough for other services to match them. Apple Music has definitely improved from when it was first released. It isn't the best music service out there by any means...but it may be the best music service for the iPhone simply due to the integration piece. (If that makes sense lol.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh