Who In The Heck Buys A New MacBook Every Year?

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I understand everyone's "needs" vary...but I stand firm in my belief that nobody NEEDS to buy a new MacBook every year. Any computer that needs to be replaced annually was manufactured wrong lol. My 2015 is still kicking just well. I may look into upgrading next year as there are some features in Catalina that didn't make it to the 2015 MbPro Retina models. So just to stay current I'll probably look at upgrading next year.

calebt

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I only upgraded to a 2018 MBP because my 2011 Mac Mini Server OS couldn’t be upgraded no more and wanted to be more mobile. The 2018 MBP will be with me for quite some time I hope.

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
You didn’t have to reply, sir. I was just messing with you ....

That’s fine. You replied to mine so I’m returning the favor and replying back to you. Returning niceness with niceness.

Kinda. Just KINDA looking(who isn’t ) at the new 16” one. It would scream with 64gb of RAM but it might kill the battery life. Plus it’s too new. Remembering that the 2016 15” ones had a battery problem. Hope these are going to be better this time around.

Have to remember that I don’t have almost 4 grand to spend on another one. Mine with the 2.6 i7, 512gb, 32gb RAM & Vega 20 HAS to be good enough.

You hopefully will not see a post that I sold my refurbished 2018 and bought it.

Last edited:

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I sure as heck don’t LOL. I’ve gone from a PowerBook G3 with bronze keyboard (probably my favorite  laptop! ) to a 2008 MacBook in black which I also loved but lost in a fire then went to a 2011 MacBook Pro and now using a late 2016 MacBook Pro.

If I can scrounge up enough money from financial aid and scholarships I’m hella buying a 16” MBP.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Many pros out there are still using 2015 MacBook Pros because they can’t stand the butterfly switch keyboard Apple introduced with every model after that until they reversed course and went back to the scissor switch keyboard in the new 16” Pro. These aren’t phones. They’re designed to easily last at least four or five years and, quite honestly, technology isn’t moving fast enough to warrant an annual upgrade for 99.9% of users.
That said, I’m using a late 2013 MacBook Pro and it’s still getting the job done. Eventually I’ll probably upgrade to a MacBook Air.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Many pros out there are still using 2015 MacBook Pros because they can’t stand the butterfly switch keyboard Apple introduced with every model after that until they reversed course and went back to the scissor switch keyboard in the new 16” Pro. These aren’t phones. They’re designed to easily last at least four or five years and, quite honestly, technology isn’t moving fast enough to warrant an annual upgrade for 99.9% of users.
That said, I’m using a late 2013 MacBook Pro and it’s still getting the job done. Eventually I’ll probably upgrade to a MacBook Air.

Agreed....As for the butterfly keyboard, it has never been a hindrance to “me”. If I had to list a complaint about it, it would be the not so quite sound it emits while typing. Other than that, I’m okay with it.

NewYorkChic

Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
I don’t own one yet. I’m getting rid of my windows tho probably I think i will swipe the Apple Card this Christmas for myself

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
NewYorkChic;[URL="tel:3179008" said:
3179008[/URL]]I don’t own one yet. I’m getting rid of my windows tho probably I think i will swipe the Apple Card this Christmas for myself

Go for it, but if your Windows machine is still fairly new, why not hold onto it? It can still. E useful to you.

ZOFOURTWENTY

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I had a 2015 MBA and that thing was awesome. I recently purchased a ‘19 MBA only because Best Buy had a Deal I couldn’t resist and I was able to flip my ‘15 MBA for $400 so it was a no brainer for me but if you rich and can afford to buy a new every year then why not.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I get a smile here. For my job, I buy up to 40+ computers at a time. If not my own always buying and knowing the MacBook iterations. Growing kids have been purchases. For modern Intel type MacBooks, I've been getting a good long life of 5 - 8 years but always keep a pair because they're vitals tools for me. My beloved 12" MacBook gets the badly needed keyboard repair tomorrow about 2 weeks shy of it no longer qualifying.

I'm less hesitant to buy flagship models even though I'm truly a power and professional user. A modern quad core with fast storage and plenty RAM is what I need.

trw1602

Trusted Member
Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
Not me. But my 2013 MBP 13" cannot handle my use case. CPU is too slow, constantly freezing when installing packages from npm so I can do my work, so much so that I can't do anything else when installing them. Definitely past time to upgrade.

I did have a 2015 27" Retina 5K iMac but it had a Fusion Drive that got corrupted with the APFS update. I couldn't verify or repair the disk so I was afraid it would die any day. So I sold it to my friend who gave me back my 2013 MBP.

I just recently purchased a 2018 Mac Mini as it is cheapest and I already have monitors, my awesome WASD mechanical keyboard with custom key caps, and a Logitech MX Master 3 mouse (have the MX Master for my iPad Pro 12.9" 2018 in a Brydge Keyboard case).

The Mac Mini will hold for now. Doing more video and photo editing and the render and export times are agonizingly slow.

NewYorkChic

Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
I have a 2017 MacBook Pro

b3872849c060b194bfe7becf58c60d52.jpg

Finally bought one 16” MBP 512

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member