help buying a macbook

kanaka

Jun 16, 2017
Visit site
hello,
i am an expert windows, itunes for windows, and iphone user. ive never used a macbook but would like to buy one. i have basic needs: email, word processor, itunes to backup my iphone, wifi and ethernet connectivity. can anyone suggest a basic macbook for me? i dont know the difference between them all (pro, air, etc). what virus protection? is solid state as worry free and durable as i assume relative to a hard disc drive? do i need all extra years of tech support as i bought with my dells? is an apple certified refurbished laptop as trustworthy as a factory new one? really dont know what is best as i do with windows laptops.
thanks in advance!

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
Welcome to iMore.

A basic MacBook or MacBook Air would more than suffice your needs. Personally I have never used an antivirus on any of the many MacBook or iMac's I have owned. Common sense usually will keep you safe. Only use trusted sites and the App Store.

I would buy AppleCare. I have always bought it on every one of my Apple devices. I've only ever had to use it once but it was worth every penny. Plus it give you great peace of mind.

As for refurbs, well they are ebery bit as good as new. They come with the same warranty and have been thoroughly tested. I have bought refurbed and never had an issue.

An SSD is very reliable and significantly faster than a standard hard drive. You can always use an external hard drive for storage.

kanaka

Jun 16, 2017
Visit site
thanks for the welcome!
and thanks for your input. my own research put me on the same page as you, so thats good.
thanks again!

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to iMore. There was a couple of things I took into consideration when I started my research for purchasing a MacBook Pro/Air
1. My price range
2. New, refurbished or used
3. Warranty, Apple Care and/or Device Condition
4. What would I mostly be using it for
5. How long will it receive updates/longevity
6. Took my time and choose the best for me and how I will use it.
After doing my research I decided to go with the MacBook Pro, but you really can't go wrong with the MacBook Air or Pro
Good Luck with your decision.

Lambertoid

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
I just purchased my first MacBook as well. After working with windows all my life as well as at work. I chose to personally go for used the price was a huge factor. But I picked up a 2014 MBPR 13 and this thing handles multitasking like it's nothing mine has 8 gigs of ram which is plenty for everything I do on it. These machines hold up to time extremely well just look online people are always going for 2012 MBP with retina displays and the bump them to 16 gig and throw an ssd in them. Good luck with your choice stay open minded to used as well.

kanaka

Jun 16, 2017
Visit site
thank you both above! glad to be here!
yes after looking at the apple store app on my phone i am virtually sold on the refurbished ones. what a selection and price difference compared to the new ones. nice user friendly app, btw! most of the models are October 2016; some 2015, with the latter markedly better deals.

as far as longevity, do OS software updates work as well over the long term as iOS? iow, i have a 7p, 6p and 5s and 3gs and the three older ones work with any ios updates offered like they're new. by comparison, i learned years ago to never - EVER, ever, ever - do ANY windows or MS updates - EVER - and minimize to near zero any third party software installs - and you'll get a lot of life out of your pc.

so, is OS as back compatible with older macbooks, as ios is with older iphones? i understand the limiting of apps to the apps store ones and enabling that thing that prevents software installs keeps the books pretty well sandboxed and limits potential for security issues, but what about the OS releases? install them with abandon, as i do on my iphones?

thanks!

trw1602

Trusted Member
Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
You won’t have a lot of luck with apps on the App Store, especially if you’re a power user. You can set your security settings to download from the App Store or trusted developers which is the setting I use. The App Store is nice in theory but it’s currently a dumpster fire.

kanaka

Jun 16, 2017
Visit site
You won’t have a lot of luck with apps on the App Store, especially if you’re a power user. You can set your security settings to download from the App Store or trusted developers which is the setting I use. The App Store is nice in theory but it’s currently a dumpster fire.

Sorry I never saw this. Thanks for the input. Why is App Store for MacBook not on par with that for iOS?

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
I bought mine at a retailer and had payments on it which helped me afford it. I had free interest for two yrs and I was able to pay it off before the two yr interest free was up. I chose the 2015 Mac Pro Retina display over the new model with the bar. I just liked the 2015 model better and it suit my needs. You can also check out HSN and QVC on what they offer on the Apple Mac Pro and Air...they have monthly payments which can help and they add bundles with it to make it more enticing....and no interest on the payments.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711