MacBook Pro ram - is 8 enough?

Jhalkias

Jun 16, 2017
Visit site
I want to get a MacBook Pro ASAP as my work machine,and am a bit torn on ram because while I would prefer the 13", I cannot pick that up at the store with 16gb of ram. However, I can get the 15" with 16gb immediately.

I will be using the Mac as my portable work PC, MS Office, MS Remote Desktop in to my office, with the possibility of having to do dual boot or running Parallels to run Windows. I am already decided on the larger 512 ssd.

So, is 8 enough, or should I opt for the bigger, heavier, 15" to get the 16? Going out of town too soon to wait for the BTO 16gb on the 13".

Thanks!

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to iMore @Jhalkias :) Thanks for the question.

It's always tough answering this question because it really depends on usage and what you are doing. If you are using MS Office only, the 8GB is more than enough. Parallels recommends 8GB so you will be meeting those requirements but could get tight if you also have other applications open. Although, you shouldn't notice to much slow down if you go a little over 8GB of usage.

How long are you planning on keeping the Macbook Pro?

If it's for 5 years or more (long term investment), then i would say 16GB. If its less than 5 years (short term investment), maybe save the cash with 8GB and upgrade next time with 16GB. Again, not an easy decision. Hopefully other members can give their feedback and opinions. :)

Hope I've helped a little.

Jhalkias

Jun 16, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for the advice. Still weighing the options and trying to find the right balance of price and features. Not an easy task.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR