Dongle Life: Love it or hate it?

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Folks,

Ok since the 2015 MacBook Apple has decided to consolidate their ports and JUST offer us Thunderabolt/USB C ports that require us to get "dongles" if we want to connect any devices with any OTHER kind of connection. Also iPhones and iPads are sorta in the dongle boat too, especially the latest iPhone WITHOUT a headphone jack,

So how do we feel about Apple's "brave" decisions. lol Do you love dongle life or hate it? There are actually some pretty good choices out there for dongle/port devices out there that can be used to give you the ports and slots you need, such as HDMI, USB, memory card slots, HEADPHONE JACK (lol), etc.

Discuss!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
With regard to the iPhone, the transition from wired headphones to wireless headphones has been effortless for "me". The only time I use a dongle is when I want to listen to music via my AudioTechnica headset, and I use the Apple-supplied dongle with it. Anyway, I hope those who've purchased the new iPad model will reply soon.

anon(10101748)

Dec 6, 2016
Visit site
It's was a bit annoying for me because I had like a 6 month brain fart at first. I have a 6s for work and personal 7. I walk around a lot in my office using the normal iPhone EarPods. For whatever reason I was using the dongle and old EarPods with the 7 and then popping it out and using the 3.5 jack on the 6s. Never occurred to me that I could use lightning port on the 6s even though it had the 3.5 jack. I know...so dumb right. Now that I realized that I don't use the dongle at all. Use the EarPods that came with 7 (and bought a spare) when home. Use car Bluetooth while driving. Using Bluetooth Beats with Apple Watch when working out. My laptop is a 2015 MacBook Air but I have no need for headphones. But will cross that bridge if needed

Oliverg109

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
As of yet, I haven't really encountered any issues with the latest products, I have a 2016 15" MacBook Pro and I have yet to use any dongles for it. I connect my iPhone with a USB C to lightning cable and my monitor with a HDMI to USB C cable, so far no dongles for me. As for my iPhone I have an iPhone 7 plus, I haven't used the dongle very often, I use the Bluetooth from my car and normally use the lighting headphones that came in the box. I also have Bluetooth beats, still no need for a dongle as of yet.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2