With all the reports (isolated, I know) of battery fires, does anyone else unplug their MB/MBP overnight? I was just plugging mine in this a.m. to charge and was wondering if anyone else did the same.

What's funny is I have another one that is basically a desktop replacement (stays plugged in to two monitors, keyboard, etc.) and only gets unplugged every other week or so to cycle the battery. But my day-to-day "sit in my big chair" MBP gets unplugged before bed or before leaving the house.

Guess I'm overthinking it!
    05-04-2017 04:40 AM
    My MacBook Pro gets unplugged when the power goes out.
    05-04-2017 05:30 AM
    Every single time I leave the house I unplug my Macbook Pro. Just incase there is a power surge and it gets fried
    Also, when I'm going to bed I unplug my laptop. This is also because there is a leak in my room so water and charger would go together very nicely haha.

I don't unplug because of over charging the battery just because of power irregularities.
    05-04-2017 06:44 AM
    I honestly only charge mine as needed. I don't usually plug it in over night unless I know I'm going to need it in the morning. I try to plan ahead and charge as it's required. Otherwise, if I'm using it at home and the battery is low, I'll charge it as I'm using it. I try to avoid overnight charging on both my personal macbook and my work one. For example, before I leave for the day, I'll make sure my Macbook is unplugged.
    jmr1015 and vpblaze like this.
    05-04-2017 10:06 AM
    Every single time I leave the house I unplug my Macbook Pro. Just incase there is a power surge and it gets fried
    I think that's what fried my Mac Mini.

I guess I worry unnecessarily about the heat/fire/charging with one of them plugged in 98% of the time!
    05-05-2017 05:51 AM
    I think that's what fried my Mac Mini.

I guess I worry unnecessarily about the heat/fire/charging with one of them plugged in 98% of the time!
    I think the only reason why I'm a little extra cautious is because i prefer not to spend $1,500+ on a new Macbook just because i didn't unplug it pretty heft price for something that could have easily been avoided. Obviously there could be a power surge while I'm using it but the chances are lower compared to a 8 hour sleep + 10 hour work day.

Our Apple products also carry a lot of sentimental value so its nice to protect it as much as possible. Its got various Mobile Nations stickers on it (still waiting for someone to say "HEY! I'm a member to!") and I'm not sure if they could be removed and re-stuck on.
    05-05-2017 06:27 AM
    I also charge my MacBook Pro as needed. Usually at night before bed. I actually have all of my electronics plugged into a power surge strip, as not to allow accidental "frying". That's a must where I live due to the many storms that come my way.
    vpblaze and toneofark like this.
    05-05-2017 07:37 AM
    I only plug it in when the battery is low when I'm using it. Other than that it's unplugged and put back in the drawer until I use it again.
    jmr1015 likes this.
    05-07-2017 05:09 PM
    Yeah mine is never plugged in until it needs to charge. Never overnight.
    robertk328 likes this.
    05-07-2017 11:27 PM
    Apple told me that the 15" charger already has a surge protector inside so there's no use on using a power strip or surge protector.
    05-08-2017 09:47 AM
    Apple told me that the 15" charger already has a surge protector inside so there's no use on using a power strip or surge protector.
    This is not exactly true. The brick on the charging cable is actually a regulator and not a surge protector. The actual MacBook's do not have a surge protector built in. I just verified this information with Apple Tech and they recommend using a power strip with a surge protector built in when charging your MacBook.
    05-08-2017 10:09 AM
    This is not exactly true. The brick on the charging cable is actually a regulator and not a surge protector. The actual MacBook's do not have a surge protector built in. I just verified this information with Apple Tech and they recommend using a power strip with a surge protector built in when charging your MacBook.
    I was thinking the same thing. I have never heard of the MacBook's charger having native surge protection. Either way it's always a good idea to play it safe. NO surge protector is 100% effective.
    Spencerdl likes this.
    05-08-2017 10:13 AM
    Ok. They told me this about 3 yrs ago when I bought the thing. I've never used a surge protector on this and I've never had a problem.
    05-08-2017 10:24 AM
    Ok. They told me this about 3 yrs ago when I bought the thing. I've never used a surge protector on this and I've never had a problem.
    Not sure why you was given false information, but the closest thing to a built in surge protector would be the regulator attached to the power cable. To be on the safe side I just don't charge anything during a storm and use a power strip for all of my electronics in case of an electrical surge.
    05-08-2017 10:38 AM
    I only plug mine in to charge it up. I don't use it plugged in unless an update is being done.
    05-09-2017 11:34 PM
    I keep mine plugged in when working on music. Production/recording/editing audio while also connected to an external monitor and audio interface will sap any battery fairly quickly. For all other uses I disconnect the peripherals (plugged into a powered hub) and run on battery power. When I shut down, I also turn off the power strip everything is plugged into.
    Spencerdl likes this.
    08-17-2017 06:24 AM
    I keep my MBP charged all the time if I'm ever near a charger. I rarely unplug it at night..
    08-17-2017 07:43 AM