MacBook not so "Pro" for 2016-2017

farvardinzad

Nov 11, 2015
Visit site
The MacBook Pro event left me quite disappointed I must admit. Having decided to purchase the new 13 inch version beforehand, I now have to reconsider and look for other options. My problem is the lack of ports. Now I know Apple nowadays want's to usher in the future with its products, however I liked it better when Apple waited a couple of years for new technology to settle and then introduce its own improved user-friendly version. As of now, I see trouble around the corner would I go for the new MacBook Pro. I'm afraid being something of an audiophile-lossless fanatic, I will have to skip the upgrade to a new iPhone as well as even the best Bluetooth technology provids far from the full sound that only premium wired headphones can do. And no, no adapters cause I want to be able to charge my iPhone and listen to my music simultaneously.

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
The MacBook Pro event left me quite disappointed I must admit. Having decided to purchase the new 13 inch version beforehand, I now have to reconsider and look for other options. My problem is the lack of ports. Now I know Apple nowadays want's to usher in the future with its products, however I liked it better when Apple waited a couple of years for new technology to settle and then introduce its own improved user-friendly version. And no, no adapters cause I want to be able to charge my iPhone and listen to my music simultaneously.

Agreed.

When Apple brought out the 'Retina' version of it's Macbook Pro and dumped the CD drive. At the time i was like, 'its so stupid' why would you drop something that people are still using. 4 years later, i can safely say i don't use my CD port and i don't think i will again (except for some like super rare occasion). So if Apple stuck with the same design, right now it would be wasting so much space.

So what I'm trying to get at is, Apple is doing the right thing by removing "old" ports (which are currently very popular) but they are doing so a little too early. So in order to live in the future you have to live in the past with dongles.

Im personally very happy to use dongles now because i know in the future, ill be glad i made the decision when everything is USB_C and thunderbolt. . :)

angusmatheson

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
I'm confused. The MacBook Pro touchbar 2016 has lots of port. It has 4 USB-c. And it has a headphone jack. I think your concern is why all USB-c, instead of 2 USB-c and 2 USB-A. And many are worried about the SD card loss. Getting rid of the 3.5 audio on the iPhone was a similar loss of a familiar and used port. This absolutely commits many of us to Dongleland if we can't spend a fortune on new accessories. But I have to agree with the last post. We need that push to get from serial ports, floppy drives, CD drives, and now USB-A. I really believe USB-C will be better - and I'm sure every time I try to plug in a USB-a upside down. I admit Apple has failed on the new better plug - FireWire 400, 800, and thunderbolt may have been better than USB-A, but no one used them. They are making a big bet on USB-C. I hope hope they are right and USB-C devices are made and bought. Or MacBook pro users will live in Dongleland forever!

Ziich47

May 6, 2015
Visit site
Re: MacBook not so "Pro" for 2016-2017

I too am second guessing my initial decision to get one of the new MacBooks. The ports do not bother me as a change in cables is not a big deal to me. I will need a dongle for sd card but nbd.
What worries me is the battery life. 5 hours of battery is just not enough for a full days use.
But that now puts me in a pickle. No other laptop that I know of seems appealing but I am in need of a computer now. Don't really want to get the 2015 MBP as I much prefer the new design with USB c.

Last edited:

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
I didn't want the newer model so the 2015 was good for me. I saw the newer one when I was making a decision and I am glad I got the 2015. It will last me a long time . It is individual choice. And it was a couple hundred cheaper and I just liked it for me better. I have an SD card am glad can use on it.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods