I have purchased new ipad battery is very poor and iPad getting very hot quickly
    11-13-2015 03:57 AM
    Welcome to iMore! It's not uncommon to see sub-par battery life on a new device, especially if you're restoring from a backup from an old device. Even if you're setting it up as a new device, there is a lot going on in the background as apps are installed and background services are set up. The battery can take a few drains and charges to reach maximum efficiency as well.

To get an idea of what apps are using up battery power, you can go to Settings > Battery and there will be a list. If you question what apps are using battery feel free to take a screen capture by tapping the power button and home button at the same time (this take some getting used to, by the way) and posting here. We can take a look at it and make sure you don't have a rogue app sucking up excess battery life.

Depending on what you're doing with your iPad, it can get pretty warm as well. This shouldn't be happening if you're simply browsing web sites but if you're playing games, watching movies, or doing any other resource-intensive things it will get warm. That being said, it shouldn't be getting hot, just warm.

Give it a few days. If you're still seeing poor battery life take it back to the store and have it swapped out for a new one.
    11-13-2015 06:02 AM
    Welcome to iMore!

In addition to what @DevilishBanker said, when you check your battery usage, a key component will be background activity. If you hit the little clock button, it will give more detail about what your battery is doing than the initial screen shows.
    How can I stop my iPad from getting so hot?-battery-usage.jpg
    11-13-2015 06:23 AM