Why can't I turn off cellular data on my iPad with unactivated Apple SIM?

I

iMore Question

Can't turn off cellular data on iPad with unactivated Apple SIM

I have an iPad Air 2 with cellular and Apple SIM that has never been activated. In the past, I have only used the cellular on my previous iPads when I was on vacation, and don't plan on activating it on this iPad until the need arises. However, I keep getting the pop-up messages telling me that a cellular connection could not be activated, amid when you dismiss that message, it comes right back asking if I want to set up a cellular plan "Now" or "Later", and I select "Later".

I am well aware of the "Turn off cellular data" option that is normally available in Settings, but since cellular data has never been activated for the installed Apple SIM, the option doesn't exist to turn it off - just the option to set it up.

I don't want to activate the SIM just to turn it off. I have searched for a solution, and everything I find just says to turn cellular data off in Settings. I'm surprised that there aren't more people complaining about this.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Re: Can't turn off cellular data on iPad with unactivated Apple SIM

I have an iPad Air 2 with cellular and Apple SIM that has never been activated. In the past, I have only used the cellular on my previous iPads when I was on vacation, and don't plan on activating it on this iPad until the need arises. However, I keep getting the pop-up messages telling me that a cellular connection could not be activated, amid when you dismiss that message, it comes right back asking if I want to set up a cellular plan "Now" or "Later", and I select "Later".

I am well aware of the "Turn off cellular data" option that is normally available in Settings, but since cellular data has never been activated for the installed Apple SIM, the option doesn't exist to turn it off - just the option to set it up.

I don't want to activate the SIM just to turn it off. I have searched for a solution, and everything I find just says to turn cellular data off in Settings. I'm surprised that there aren't more people complaining about this.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff

They probably never considered your situation. They figure it's a device that needs to be activated and are trying to help you. If you take the SIM out you'll probably get an equally/or more annoying message about no SIM. Most people buying then at least activate them for at least the first month.

Wish I could help.

JeffWS

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site

Thanks Scatabrain for your quick reply and support.

I got the iPad directly from Apple, and if you don't need cellular right away, I don't know why you would want to activate and pay for it until you do. Also, once you activate, you lock the Apple SIM to a specific carrier, where as it is, it is still "unlocked". I know you can always just get another SIM if you wanted to change, but it just seems like it would make more sense to just "leave it 'till you need it".

Oh well... I don't get the message constantly - I will probably just deal with it for now.

Thanks again, and take care!

Jeff

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site

Put it in airplane mode, then manually turn on wifi and Bluetooth if needed... That will turn off the cellular radio and should leave you alone.

JeffWS

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site

Thanks kch50428, I will give it a try.

Take care!

Jeff

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members