I have an iPad Air 2 with cellular and Apple SIM that has never been activated. In the past, I have only used the cellular on my previous iPads when I was on vacation, and don't plan on activating it on this iPad until the need arises. However, I keep getting the pop-up messages telling me that a cellular connection could not be activated, amid when you dismiss that message, it comes right back asking if I want to set up a cellular plan "Now" or "Later", and I select "Later".

I am well aware of the "Turn off cellular data" option that is normally available in Settings, but since cellular data has never been activated for the installed Apple SIM, the option doesn't exist to turn it off - just the option to set it up.

I don't want to activate the SIM just to turn it off. I have searched for a solution, and everything I find just says to turn cellular data off in Settings. I'm surprised that there aren't more people complaining about this.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff
    08-30-2015 10:08 PM
    I have an iPad Air 2 with cellular and Apple SIM that has never been activated. In the past, I have only used the cellular on my previous iPads when I was on vacation, and don't plan on activating it on this iPad until the need arises. However, I keep getting the pop-up messages telling me that a cellular connection could not be activated, amid when you dismiss that message, it comes right back asking if I want to set up a cellular plan "Now" or "Later", and I select "Later".

I am well aware of the "Turn off cellular data" option that is normally available in Settings, but since cellular data has never been activated for the installed Apple SIM, the option doesn't exist to turn it off - just the option to set it up.

I don't want to activate the SIM just to turn it off. I have searched for a solution, and everything I find just says to turn cellular data off in Settings. I'm surprised that there aren't more people complaining about this.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff
    They probably never considered your situation. They figure it's a device that needs to be activated and are trying to help you. If you take the SIM out you'll probably get an equally/or more annoying message about no SIM. Most people buying then at least activate them for at least the first month.

Wish I could help.
    08-31-2015 08:25 AM
    Thanks Scatabrain for your quick reply and support.

I got the iPad directly from Apple, and if you don't need cellular right away, I don't know why you would want to activate and pay for it until you do. Also, once you activate, you lock the Apple SIM to a specific carrier, where as it is, it is still "unlocked". I know you can always just get another SIM if you wanted to change, but it just seems like it would make more sense to just "leave it 'till you need it".

Oh well... I don't get the message constantly - I will probably just deal with it for now.

Thanks again, and take care!

Jeff
    08-31-2015 09:03 AM
    Put it in airplane mode, then manually turn on wifi and Bluetooth if needed... That will turn off the cellular radio and should leave you alone.
    08-31-2015 09:11 AM
    Thanks kch50428, I will give it a try.

Take care!

Jeff
    08-31-2015 09:13 AM