How do I check for a virus on my iPhone?

I

iMore Question

how do I check for a virus on my iPhone?

I saw a message when using 'Battery Doctor" that said my iPhone was infected.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Re: how do I check for a virus on my iPhone?

No. That was a misplaced ad. There is no virus on your phone.. For the moment that's just not possible (unless your jailbroken)

dreamception

Aug 22, 2015
Visit site
Re: how do I check for a virus on my iPhone?

There are very few viruses that exist for the iPhone. There really aren't any true anti viruses that I know of for iOS with true signature detection, and since apple reviews all the applications manually before there allowed to the app store, its very hard if not impossible for viruses to get through. Battery Doctor is likely trying to get you to purchase one of there apps in a cheap way, and the app most likely DEFINITELY does not work. True anti viruses would need more permissions then apple allows the apps to have, so any apps claiming to be are fake.

Every few weeks you seen a security exploit that targets the iphone or iOS operating system. Apple patches these exploits with pushed updates when you update your phone. The only action needed on your part to keep your iPhone virus free is to keep it updated to the latest version, and be vigilant with what apps you download, especially free ones. Sometimes apps can have the ads hijacked that send you to phishing scams, but thats about the most serious security issue you will see.

This only applies for stock iPhones, if your iphone is jailbroken, its a whole different story. Bottom line, Viruses are very uncommon with most users never seeing one. The system is secured and the app ecosystem is closed and tightly monitored. Most of the doomsday viruses u hear about in the news are small exploits that need specific conditions to happen that are unlikely, and apple patches all of them that become public in updates.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711