Hello,

So, I just realized that 90% of my time being spend behind my PC is spend using: Skype, Adobe Photoshop, and watching videos/movies. The other 10% is spend entertaining myself (gaming for instance). Now my PC is a hulk, and so is it's energy consumption, about 550 watts on average (not including my 3 monitors). It can hit up to 900watts during gaming. Now the Mac Mini has a MAX of 85W. That right there saves me about 60euro per month on energy, so I want a Mac Mini for my daily 2D stuff.

I want the middle class 8gig 2.6ghz dual core Mac Mini, my questions are: does it work with Skype, and Adobe software like photoshop--that pretty much all I need, After Effects for small things would be great but I can also fire up my Windows Hulk for that. Does it support a resolution of 3840x1440p 21:9? Does Netflix work on Mac? Is there any good VPN app for Mac and Adblock for Safari?

It's weird, I only switched from BlackBerry to the iPhone and like it so much, I want to buy an actual Mac now and AppleTV. I mean 85 watts, that is just great! The Mac will fund itself within a year.
    04-03-2016 01:20 AM
    Welcome to iMore!

1. Skype, Photoshop and AE will run without issue. It will run those and then some.
    2. Many VPN's out there for Mac. Expressvu for example. A quick search will find you many more that are available.
    3. Adblock for Safari.
    4. Netflix will run just fine.
    5. Video Support
    Support for up to two displays at 2560 by 1600 pixels, both at millions of colours

Thunderbolt digital video output

• Native Mini DisplayPort output
    • DVI output using Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter (sold separately)
    • VGA output using Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter (sold separately)
    • Dual-link DVI output using Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter (sold separately)

HDMI video output

• Support for 1080p resolution at up to 60Hz
    • Support for 3840-by-2160 resolution at 30Hz
    • Support for 4096-by-2160 resolution at 24Hz

DVI output using HDMI to DVI Adapter (sold separately)

I hope this answers all your questions.
    Annie_i6s likes this.
    04-03-2016 05:16 AM
    I hope this answers all your questions.
    Yes this is great! Do you know if it's has any decent speed? I just noticed it has 5400rpm hdd
    04-03-2016 11:19 AM
    A 5400 drive will be slow. I have a fusion drive in my iMac which is a lot faster. If you can afford a fusion drive it will make a huge difference in speed. The straight SSD will be the fastest but it is hard to tell the difference between the fusion and SSD by the average person. The bonus of the fusion is it gives you a larger storage space than the SSD.

If you are doing any large files in PS or AE, the renders will be especially slow with a 5400 platter. Best value for your money will be fusion drive.
    04-03-2016 12:34 PM
    A 5400 drive will be slow. I have a fusion drive in my iMac which is a lot faster. If you can afford a fusion drive it will make a huge difference in speed. The straight SSD will be the fastest but it is hard to tell the difference between the fusion and SSD by the average person. The bonus of the fusion is it gives you a larger storage space than the SSD.

If you are doing any large files in PS or AE, the renders will be especially slow with a 5400 platter. Best value for your money will be fusion drive.
    Yee I figured that, now one more thing. Do you know how much memory OSX El Capitan uses being idle? I'm not sure about the 8gig or 16 gig model. The 16 gig is ridiculously overpriced!!, But do I need it? On average I use 6-8gig from my 64gigs on my PC. But than again I have about a million tabs open in the memory hog Chrome. Do you perhaps know how Safari handles tabs and memory?
    04-04-2016 02:14 AM
    Yee I figured that, now one more thing. Do you know how much memory OSX El Capitan uses being idle? I'm not sure about the 8gig or 16 gig model. The 16 gig is ridiculously overpriced!!, But do I need it? On average I use 6-8gig from my 64gigs on my PC. But than again I have about a million tabs open in the memory hog Chrome. Do you perhaps know how Safari handles tabs and memory?
    You really got me now. I very rarely run Safari and am not using El Capitan. I am running Yosemite and use Firefox for my browser. But I can give you my experience with what I do run. As I said I use Yosemite, Firefox and Adobe CS6 Master collection. Below you will see my memory usage with Firefox (several tabs), PS (4 large files open and several plugins), AI, FontExplorer X Pro, iTunes, Messsages, Slack (Messaging App) and Geektool running all at the same time. Plus I have several very small apps running in the background.

And from what you can see I am getting close to using a full 8GB of RAM. Mind you that is more than normal usage for the average person. So depending on what you are running it could top out 8GB. But you can base your usage on what I have listed above. My two biggest users of RAM are PS & Firefox. If you are not opening large files in PS or rendering large files in AE, I would say 8 GB would be fine, but 16 would give you a safety margin.

I am not your average user. I am running 24GB of RAM and at times, feel like I could use more, although I have never topped out my RAM. Have come close on occasion. I hope this gives you something to base your decision on.

Care to help a Windows PC user with his questions about the Mac Mini?-screen-shot-2016-04-04-3.44.24-am.png
    04-04-2016 06:08 AM
    You really got me now. I very rarely run Safari and am not using El Capitan. I am running Yosemite and use Firefox for my browser. But I can give you my experience with what I do run. As I said I use Yosemite, Firefox and Adobe CS6 Master collection. Below you will see my memory usage with Firefox (several tabs), PS (4 large files open and several plugins), AI, FontExplorer X Pro, iTunes, Messsages, Slack (Messaging App) and Geektool running all at the same time. Plus I have several very small apps running in the background.

And from what you can see I am getting close to using a full 8GB of RAM. Mind you that is more than normal usage for the average person. So depending on what you are running it could top out 8GB. But you can base your usage on what I have listed above. My two biggest users of RAM are PS & Firefox. If you are not opening large files in PS or rendering large files in AE, I would say 8 GB would be fine, but 16 would give you a safety margin.

I am not your average user. I am running 24GB of RAM and at times, feel like I could use more, although I have never topped out my RAM. Have come close on occasion. I hope this gives you something to base your decision on.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-04-04 at 3.44.24 AM.png 
Views:	39 
Size:	27.2 KB 
ID:	104736
    Thanks again! I'm going for 16gig just to be sure as I am used to 64gig in my PC. When doing AE stuff even that gets full!! I'll only be doing light work but I'd like the Mac Mini to stay for a while, and since you can't upgrade it anymore....
    04-04-2016 11:23 AM
    Thanks again! I'm going for 16gig just to be sure as I am used to 64gig in my PC. When doing AE stuff even that gets full!! I'll only be doing light work but I'd like the Mac Mini to stay for a while, and since you can't upgrade it anymore....
    I think you're making a wise choice. You'll really like that Mini. Good little machine. Well if you have any further questions please ask away. Have a great day now!
    04-04-2016 12:52 PM
    I think you're making a wise choice. You'll really like that Mini. Good little machine. Well if you have any further questions please ask away. Have a great day now!
    Thanks, ye I sure hope so, it's my first Mac. I really love how OSX has grown over the years. But I just noticed that the new Mac Mini should release rather soon, same for the iPhone 7 and Apple TV 5. Decisions...
    04-04-2016 02:26 PM
    Thanks, ye I sure hope so, it's my first Mac. I really love how OSX has grown over the years. But I just noticed that the new Mac Mini should release rather soon, same for the iPhone 7 and Apple TV 5. Decisions...
    I know what you mean. I am waiting on the iPhone 7 Plus. I have an ATV 3 & 4, so good there. My biggest wait is for the Mac Pro line up to be updated. My iMac and MBP are getting a little dated, but I need more than what they offer me. Don't get me wrong, both are powerful machines, but my use exceeds them. Well good luck and I am sure you will enjoy that Mini and OS X. I use Windows, Linux and OS X and find OS X the best of them.
    04-04-2016 02:33 PM
    I know what you mean. I am waiting on the iPhone 7 Plus. I have an ATV 3 & 4, so good there. My biggest wait is for the Mac Pro line up to be updated. My iMac and MBP are getting a little dated, but I need more than what they offer me. Don't get me wrong, both are powerful machines, but my use exceeds them. Well good luck and I am sure you will enjoy that Mini and OS X. I use Windows, Linux and OS X and find OS X the best of them.
    I understand, I will just do some light work on my Mac Mini. Off Topic, but what does Ambassador mean here? Is it like a MOD? Or do you get it by donating money?
    04-05-2016 03:14 AM
    I understand, I will just do some light work on my Mac Mini. Off Topic, but what does Ambassador mean here? Is it like a MOD? Or do you get it by donating money?

Ambassadors have been hand-picked by Mobile Nations teams for their knowledge, desire and passionate support of iMore and Mobile Nations. It is their job to welcome new members, answer questions in a timely manner, write helpful guides, and more.

We do not pay for the privilege. I specialize in custom wallpaper design for just about any Apple device, although mainly iPhone's, and have a fairly extensive knowledge of Macs. Plus I have learned an incredible amount about the iPhone since being here. It is a fair bit of work, but since it is a passion of mine I really do not consider it that. I am fortunate in that I only work 3 days a week allowing me the time & privileged to be an Ambassador! Here is a link to the Ambassadors & Moderators representing iMore! It is mini bio's from all of us.

Hopefully this and the link provided will answer your inquiry. Thanks for asking!
    Wybrem likes this.
    04-05-2016 05:34 AM