Shop HP’s Memorial Day Sale:Save up to 61% on PCs and more! | Order: AirPods 2 | New iPhones
    The U.S. Supreme Court by a 5 - 4 vote just decided that Americans can sue APple for the APp Store possibly being an illegal monopoly on Apple device apps.

Cases probably will take a year or two to be decided, but do you think this is a reasonable decision? What do you think the future would be if Apple is forced in a couple of years to give up their App Store exclusivity for apps? Will there be a proliferation of other app stores? Will Apple's app store continue?
    05-13-2019 03:01 PM
    Firstly, I believe Apple should be within their rights to do as they please with their marketplace.

But despite that belief, I think they handle it in a very anti-consumer manner. It's one thing to take 30% of subscription revenues and app purchases, but I'm not a fan of them preventing app developers from advertising alternative subscription methods. That's pretty crappy.
    05-13-2019 03:20 PM
    I'm not sure that I agree with the decision. I chose Apple because of its walled garden!
    Not Quite Right and wenrob like this.
    05-13-2019 03:28 PM
    I heard a decision was handed down, but I’ve yet to read the particulars about it. I do agree with Quis that Apple taking 30% off the top is just business. That happens everywhere. Heck, those who sell out of lunch wagons or kiosks in the mall pay a cut to the property owner.

Still, saying that Apple is the seller when in fact they’re hosting the mechanism that allows for the sell is a bit much, but again, I am going off of limited information.
    05-13-2019 03:49 PM
    I hope the iOS platform does not become like other smartphone platforms. I want a single App Store.
    05-13-2019 05:44 PM
    I hope the iOS platform does not become like other smartphone platforms. I want a single App Store.
    Right there with you.
    Apple did all the hard work, building and paving the way for a unified, easy way to install apps without much effort from its users. Other companies followed the same route soon after. Even if Apple wasn’t the first, they were definitely the most successful with their AppStore approach.

Going back to the days where you had to look and search for apps on the internet on many different websites is something from the past and not something we should be wanting now. It’s quite contra-productive. Also it opens the gates wide open for malware.
    05-14-2019 07:12 AM
    Right there with you.
    Apple did all the hard work, building and paving the way for a unified, easy way to install apps without much effort from its users. Other companies followed the same route soon after. Even if Apple wasn’t the first, they were definitely the most successful with their AppStore approach.

Going back to the days where you had to look and search for apps on the internet on many different websites is something from the past and not something we should be wanting now. It’s quite contra-productive. Also it opens the gates wide open for malware.
    Exactly! well said!
    05-14-2019 08:14 AM
    I like the App store the way it is, and am content that Apple should charge for it’s services. The more control on the content of Apps the better,I do not want every Tom,**** and the Darkside to be able to dump any code they like on my Apple devices, without any filters whatever.

**** oh good grief !!
    nikkisharif likes this.
    05-14-2019 08:18 AM
    Right there with you.

Yes, well said. I remember the nightmare of having the Palm Treo. The horror of buying software only to find it cheaper somewhere else. I remember the headache of installing the buggy Java mobile platform from IBM, trying to find the latest version before it disappeared. I remember the constant problems with software conflicts too and the spontaneous rebooting.
    Last edited by scruffypig; 05-14-2019 at 11:52 AM.
    Tartarus likes this.
    05-14-2019 11:38 AM
    How about if Apple reduced the amount charged by 10% the second year, then by 5% the third year and 5% the fourth year as long as the developer produced at least one upgrade each year?
    pkcable likes this.
    05-14-2019 02:02 PM
    How about if Apple reduced the amount charged by 10% the second year, then by 5% the third year and 5% the fourth year as long as the developer produced at least one upgrade each year?
    Sounds like a good idea to me!
    05-15-2019 10:18 AM