Ads are killing the App Store

anon(9918034)

Apr 22, 2018
Visit site
I don't know about anyone else on here, I am pretty much done trying to download games on the App Store. 9/10 are these games that show and ad when you load, and ad when you lose and an ad when complete a level. Its getting really ridiculous and makes it super hard to find a good quality game anymore.

Don't get me wrong I have no issue with ads that serve a purpose. There are a few games that I play where I will gladly watch an ad to get a boost or increase somethings out put for a period of time. I will watch an ad to speed up the progress of an action.

Most of these games are just recycled code pulled of a repository. There is no actual development involved. These so called devs don't sit around and debug anything because that has already been done. Its a blight on the actual dev community. The people who actually spend endless hours writing their code for their game. The ones who actually go through the process of debugging an app. The people who get off work and use what little spare time they have to achieve their goal of building an app. That app will get buried in a **** storm of these garbage cash grab apps that are flooding the App Store.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
I have very few games that I play on my iPad, but the majority of them are paid for so I never see ads. I hate ads. Loath them with a passion. I would rather scrub a basketball court with a toothbrush than see an ad. Seriously, I cannot even remotely begin to tell you how much I hate them.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Do these games you're referencing not give an option to purchase a "remove ads" IAP? If so, that should resolve the issue. The developers have the right to monetize their products and ads are the primary way of doing so. Not everyone is going to purchase their products. If you dislike the ads, pay up.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I have very few games that I play on my iPad, but the majority of them are paid for so I never see ads. I hate ads. Loath them with a passion. I would rather scrub a basketball court with a toothbrush than see an ad. Seriously, I cannot even remotely begin to tell you how much I hate them.

LOL...EXACTLY this.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't know about anyone else on here, I am pretty much done trying to download games on the App Store. 9/10 are these games that show and ad when you load, and ad when you lose and an ad when complete a level. Its getting really ridiculous and makes it super hard to find a good quality game anymore.

Don't get me wrong I have no issue with ads that serve a purpose. There are a few games that I play where I will gladly watch an ad to get a boost or increase somethings out put for a period of time. I will watch an ad to speed up the progress of an action.

Most of these games are just recycled code pulled of a repository. There is no actual development involved. These so called devs don't sit around and debug anything because that has already been done. Its a blight on the actual dev community. The people who actually spend endless hours writing their code for their game. The ones who actually go through the process of debugging an app. The people who get off work and use what little spare time they have to achieve their goal of building an app. That app will get buried in a **** storm of these garbage cash grab apps that are flooding the App Store.

I’m with you, my friend. I can’t tell you how many apps / games I’ve installed and then uninstalled 2 minutes later. I also despise the one that require you to sign in via social networks.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

‘Nuf said.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Do these games you're referencing not give an option to purchase a "remove ads" IAP? If so, that should resolve the issue. The developers have the right to monetize their products and ads are the primary way of doing so. Not everyone is going to purchase their products. If you dislike the ads, pay up.

I don’t think that’s the problem. The people I know will gladly pay to not see ads, however, far too many apps are not offering the option. Sure they have the right to display ads in their apps to create revenue, and I wish them well with it. I simply will not help them. When I’m playing a game, I don’t want to take the time to view an ad, close an ad or waste time trying to find the X to remove the ad. I simply want to play the game.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I don’t think that’s the problem. The people I know will gladly pay to not see ads, however, far too many apps are not offering the option. Sure they have the right to display ads in their apps to create revenue, and I wish them well with it. I simply will not help them. When I’m playing a game, I don’t want to take the time to view an ad, close an ad or waste time trying to find the X to remove the ad. I simply want to play the game.

This is the key. If the dev has chosen not to allow their customers to purchase to remove ads...they should expect that many may delete the app.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
And it's not just games. Aviary Photo Editor has started showing full page ads, every time you do anything. They're all ads for other apps. Very annoying. Don't mind showing an ad, but after every single thing you do? It doesn't exactly make me want to use the app.

anon(9918034)

Apr 22, 2018
Visit site

I don't mind ads that are do in a manner that benefits all parties involved the developer and the user. Any app that is designed to force you to watch and ad before you even get to the menu is bull****. There have been a few apps where I gladly paid to get rid of the ads, those apps didn't force you to watch an add just to start the ******* app. Some of these apps have a price of 10 bucks to get rid of the ads. These are very basic graphic games and very basic gameplay, the apps that people used the free code form GitHub or some other repository. They want to bombard you with ads and hope you will pay 10 bucks to get rid of them. For 10 bucks I bought Knights of the Old Republic. Tell me why I should pay 10 bucks to these half *** developers when for 10 bucks I can get one of the best games every made.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
I can tolerate (barely) an advertisement in an app if it's down at the bottom of the screen. But when they use an ad that covers the entire screen on my device and I have to hunt for a little itty bitty teeny tiny X to close the ad.... that's just downright obnoxious and rude. Interfere with my ability to test your app before I buy it and it's a guarantee that I won't be purchasing it.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site

Yup with you there

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77